Cooking with cast iron

Options
I cook in cast iron pans, but cannot find any information on how to add the iron content to my logs. Does anyone have a way to calculate that information? Thank you!

Replies

• bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count on any appreciable amount of iron coming from your skillet. The amount is very small, especially with a well seasoned pan, and variable so it is impossible to log.

Instead, improved iron absorption by combining it with Vitamin C ingestion, and separated from calcium, which inhibits absorption. If you suspect anemia, talk to your doctor or RD about an iron supplement, as it is very difficult to correct anemia through food alone.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    bonniejo wrote: »
    I wouldn't count on any appreciable amount of iron coming from your skillet. The amount is very small, especially with a well seasoned pan, and variable so it is impossible to log.

Instead, improved iron absorption by combining it with Vitamin C ingestion, and separated from calcium, which inhibits absorption. If you suspect anemia, talk to your doctor or RD about an iron supplement, as it is very difficult to correct anemia through food alone.

^^^^This and the only way to get measurable iron out of your skillet is to eat red meat cooked in it, the meat contains the iron.