Macros and things to eat other than dairy and pork... two questions.

Options
aspiedude
aspiedude Posts: 44 Member
Hi, I was just wondering how everyone breaks down their macros to stay in ketosis (if you do) % wise... carbs/fats/proteins and how many grams of total carbs vs. net carbs you aim for a day.

Also, I don't eat pork for religious reasons and am thinking I may be lactose intolerant and also have a very limited food budget and need keto friendly... ideally little cooking involved if any... food suggestions.

Thanks!

Replies

• annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Try the keto calculator that many of us have used:

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

It's great to give you a starting point and some ranges for your macros. I'm usually around 65% fat, 25% protein, and 10% carbs, and I always try to shoot for at least the minimum number of protein grams that the calculator told me.

As for food suggestions, I always tell everyone check Pinterest. I know it's more of a "girl" thing, but there are tons of low carb recipe and meal ideas. I don't think I would've lasted this long without it.

I'm a dairy girl so I can't help you there. I don't know what I would eat without it!
  • aspiedude
    Options
    Hey, I love Pinterest!
  • annalisbeth74
    Options
    I'll friend you and send you a link to my low carb board, and some of the others I follow.
  • annalisbeth74
    Options
    Or, hey- paleo recipes would probably be good too. Dairy-free.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Just get fatty cuts of other meats, then. Beef and lamb are particularly easy to get fatty cuts for, and chicken is pretty well balanced if you have dark meat and skin. Cold water fish are a good source of fats, too. Goat, turkey, white meat chicken, and wild game are pretty lean by themselves, but paired with things like avocado, bone marrow, ghee (unless you're kosher), or a fat-based sauce, or cooked in a fat source, you get a pretty well-rounded dish.

For fats, go for coconut oil, avocado oil, tallow, duck fat, and ghee. You'd be surprised at all the different fats there are out there.
  • aspiedude
    Options
    Thanks!
  • aspiedude
    Options
    Hey... I tried that calculator and I've been eating within range for everything, but I'm very slowly losing muscle, although my percentage muscle has gone up. Overall I'm losing weight, fat weight, and fat percentage. Do I need more protein?
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    More protein might help, but you're going to see some reduction in lean body mass regardless of what you do. It is very hard, if not impossible, to just lose fat. Keeping the other losses as low as possible is all you can hope for.
  • aspiedude
    Options
    How do I gain muscle then? My goals are to lose fat and build muscle.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The body is not designed to be catabolic (tissue reducing) and anabolic (tissue building) at the same time. If you want to build muscle and lose fat, you're trying to do two opposite things at the same time. Both will be significantly slowed. But, workout days, with adequate calories, surrounded by rest days with reduced calories, might help a little.

I have my doubts about how much you can control this though. The percentage of fat/lean gained and lost seems fairly fixed for each individual (per Lyle McDonald's writings) and you can't accomplish gains and losses at the same time.

This is a good start as to why:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html/

I highly recommend spending the time to read "The Ultimate Diet 2.0" referenced there as to why it's not as simple as it would seem. Although, Lyle seems to be saying that if you're an overfat beginner, you might be able to both lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. For most other people, it's not really possible though.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Check out /r/ketogains, they have some good resources, recipes, and threads. But unless you don't have much fat to lose building muscle at the same time is pretty well impossible. Weightlifting with high protein and low carb is very muscle sparing, but at best you'll see newbie gains. And maybe not even that if you're already using your muscles(weight room or not).
  • aspiedude
    Options
    I am 5 foot 5.5 inches and weigh 164.6 with a body fat of 21.3%. I walk and bike some but that's it. Would I be considered "overfat"?
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    You are probably overfat and under-trained in some respect, especially when it comes to muscle building. Is that enough to make it so you can lose weight and gain muscle? I guess you'll find out. But, don't be upset if you're only doing one at a time. Progress towards one goal is better than not making progress towards either.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Fattier meats are cheaper than lean meats. I am on a budget at the moment, on pay day I usually buy some chicken thighs, some regular beef mince, some chuck steak, etc and freeze it in meal size portions. As I'm usually cooking just for me (my partner and his kid eat schnitzels and pasta and such) it goes along way. I have about 30 individual servings of meat in the freezer and it didn't cost much. A slow cooker is great, especially for that gravy beef/chuck steak. Cook it for a few hours and it will be the most tender tasty meat you ever had. And you can make meals for a few days. This week I bought about 3lbs of chicken thighs (on special) put them in the slow cooker with some chopped up zucchini, mushrooms, some vegeta stock powder, some chilli powder and a 300ml tub of sour cream. Cooked it for about 6 hours or so until it was falling apart tender. I tell you what, it was the best thing in the world. And it made 7 meals. I would normally freeze some but it's so damn good I've been eating it since Sunday.
  • aspiedude
    Options
    Everyone here is brilliant and awesome!
  • TribalmamaEmily
    TribalmamaEmily Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Someone kindly posted this calculator a few days ago and it has helped me out a bunch to get my macros optimal.
    http://www.flexibleketogenic.com/

I also do not eat pork, obeying biblical instruction. Just remeber that if your subbing turkey (bacon, sausage, pepperoni, etc.) for porcine in regards to following a recipe, that the fat count is going to be a lot less than if one uses the real stuff. It took me a few days to be like "duh!" i'm not getting that much fat from the turkey products.

No cooking; sardines, those 100 calorie packs of almonds/walnuts, etc., turkey sticks, avocados

Little cooking; hard boil a dozen eggs for the week, salads- leafy greens with fatty dressing and meat like pre cooked chicken, taco meat, sometimes i use deli meat, olives, & seeds

Tea - all kinds, hot and cold, herbal and oolong are a must for me and seltzer water with lemon

• aspiedude
    Options
    Great suggestions. I'll just keep my questions here to not crowd the thread.

Am I in ketosis?

I just tested my urine ketone and it was darker than the 15 mg/dL but not as dark as the 40 mg/dL. Am I ketoic?
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    If you're showing any ketones in urine at all, you're in ketosis. The color has nothing to do with the depth of ketosis, it's more about how hydrated you are. Also, it is important to know, the opposite is not true. If you are not showing any ketones in your urine, it does not mean you aren't in ketosis. It just means you're not spilling excess ketones into your urine any more. Generally, when you adapt, you'll spill little to no ketones in your urine because you're making only as much as necessary.
  • aspiedude
    Options
    Woo-hoo!
  • aspiedude
    Options
    Is that when you spring for a blood ketone meter?