bullet proof coffee, yay or nay?

Options
TCALKINS
TCALKINS Posts: 4 Member
What do you think of bullet proof coffee? What's your recipe? I crave sweet sweet coffee, black is a no go for me. But I have 4 kids, a husband and a ranch to run so I need coffee!! H E L P :p

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I've tried BPC but it doesn't keep me full so for me its a nay. I like iced coffee. 6 oz cold coffee, 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a packet of stevia :) nice and sweet.
  • kerrihwilson
    kerrihwilson Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love BPC - can't go without it....
    1 tbsp of butter
    1 tbsp of coconut oil
    2 tbsp of sugar free Starbucks syrups
    2 tbsp of heavy cream
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Yay! I love my BPC. I don't do it every morning, but I did have it the last three days in a row, because it makes me feel soooooo good! How do I describe it? Ever have one of those moments when your brain lights up and suddenly, everything seems clear? Like that!

Small wonder.
    Summary

A case study documented by Dr. Mary Newport discusses ketone bodies, an alternative fuel for your brain, which can be produced when your body converts fat (as opposed to glucose) for energy. One primary source of ketone bodies is medium-chain triglycerides (MCT).

Normally, the fat you consume must be mixed with bile before it is broken down by your digestive system. MCTs go to your liver where they are converted into ketones, bypassing the bile completely. Your liver then sends the ketones to your bloodstream, which help transport the ketones to your brain as fuel.

Studies show that ketones appear to be the preferred fuel for the brains of patients who are suffering from Alzheimer’s disease or diabetes.

You can stimulate the production of ketone bodies by consuming coconut oil. It was determined that just over two tablespoons of coconut oil could supply your body with 20 grams of MCTs, which is the amount that can help prevent degenerative neurological conditions.

This article lists other ways that you can prevent Alzheimer’s disease and diabetes, as well as how to keep your mind sharp.

See the full article here:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/12/13/can-this-natural-food-cure-or-prevent-alzheimers.aspx

Then, maybe 2-3 hours after my BPC I am ready for a solid meal. These last three days I kept the carbs low for 2nd meal and by mid-afternoon my mood was euphoric! I was wandering around Costco, talking to lots of people, making friends, and had tons of energy.

Try it with just 1 tsp of Splenda (or 1 drop of pure sucralose) - or, if you're down on sucralose, xylitol - I think it enhances the flavor of the coconut oil. Your craving for sweet flavors should decrease over time by eating low carb.

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Ranch to run here too! This is my "going to be out in the fields irrigating for the next 14 hours" recipe

12 oz coffee(as hot as I can get it)
    2 Tbsp coconut oil
    1-2 Tbsp unsalted butter
    1 Tbsp HWC, or 2 Tbsp Half and Half
    Sugar free torani syrup of the day or a few drops liquid sweetener
    If I'm going to be sweating a lot I'll add some no-salt and some table salt(maybe a 1/4 tsp each) for the electrolytes

Toss it all in a blender if you have time, if not a thermos works well, or a travel mug that has a locking mechanism. Shake it up and it'll keep you going a long time.

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Too many calories for me. I just do IF instead and skip breakfast, have a late lunch. Drink my coffee black (Aeropress!!).
  • msmi1970
    msmi1970 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    For me personally, French Pressed Yirgacheffe..black.

My sister swears by bulletproof coffee though. First thing every morning. Keeps her going all the way through to dinner.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've started drinking Primal Coffee. I cup double strength coffee, 2 raw eggs, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1.5 tbs coconut oil and 6 drops liquid stevia. I blend it in an oster single serve blender till it's all frothy. Great coffee taste, almost like cappuccino. Great macros and very filling.

I also change up by using cacao instead of cinnamon. Yum!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I love my BPT (not a coffee person), but I like the primal combo more. As long as I keep myself well hydrated, this combination can keep me 12+ hours.

My LOADED Tea
    My loaded tea is a combination of the primal egg coffee recipe and bullet proof coffee, but with hot tea. I loathe coffee with a passion.

For those not used to coconut oil, please start slowly (no more than 1/2 TBSP-1 TBSP at first....) because it can lead to bathroom sprints and loose bowels. Acclimate slowly and you'll be able to up it. The heavy cream and coconut oil are to my personal tastes - you can increase or decrease. Also, a lot of folks making the traditional BPC use grassfed butter. I didn't like it at the time, but might try adding it to my egg version at some point...)

INGREDIENTS:
    3 tea bags (I just use Lipton out of convenience...I like it STRONG)
    12-16 oz super hot water to steep
    dash pink himalayan salt (5-6 seconds on my battery grinder)
    2 raw whole eggs
    2-4 TBSP of heavy whipping cream
    1-2 TBSP coconut oil, 3 sweetener packets (prefer stevia)

DIRECTIONS:
    Pour boiling/steaming water over tea bags to steep.
    Shake everything except the tea in a shaker bottle while the tea steeps.
    Once everything is well mixed/blended and tea is steeped, pour in 1/3 to 1/2 of the tea. Shake until you hear the coconut oil stop thumping (it's solid here until melted) and the temperature cools naturally from the combining hot and cold.
    Do this again until all the tea is mixed in.
    Then shake some more. Usually about 2-3 minutes of shaking because I don't have a stick or regular blender at work.

NOTES: This yields a rich, creamy, custardy, decadent tea with lots of fuel for my body. It is SO filling, sometimes I can't finish it all. It leaves me full well up until lunch, and many times, even following with a light-calorie wise lunch, I'm not hungry until 7 or 8 pm... It is so AWESOME for me.... Simplifies breakfast, and the caffeine and coconut oil give me energy for hours!
    I have tried it with other flavors and such (vanilla, cinnamon, cocoa powder, chai tea - I don't like the tea bags I got), but the basic recipe is so great...

ADDED NOTE: This can also be done without the eggs. Salt is optional at that point. I find the eggs added makes me stay full longer, but a 150 - 200 calories snack with the tea would accomplish the same task, as 2 eggs are 140 calories, give or take.
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Big "nay" for me. I prefer plain coffee with heavy cream.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    SteveKroll wrote: »
    Big "nay" for me. I prefer plain coffee with heavy cream.

Everyone is definitely individual on this one! :) To each our own.
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Drink my coffee black (Aeropress!!).

Ah, I love my aeropress. I love extra extra extra strong yet not bitter coffee. <3

• cottagegirl71
    cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm a black coffee girl but did just buy 1000mg capsules of coconut oil to take each day - come on extra energy! :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I'm a black coffee girl but did just buy 1000mg capsules of coconut oil to take each day - come on extra energy! :)

I have a work friend who does the refined coconut oil in black coffee and loves it, says it just makes it seem creamier...but no real flavor change.
  • cdpits
    cdpits Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have been a lifetime black coffee drinker. I do like the BPC a couple times a week for the energy I get from it. Mine is simple, coffee, 1tbsp coconut oil and 1 tbsp butter. Yummy and energizing :)
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm a recent convert to bulletproof type coffees. I am a bit of a coffee snob and tend to drink single origin coffees from the Americas. They have a natural sweetness when roasted lightly (not OVER-roasted). A good coffee when prepared properly needs no cream or sugar.
    Since changing my way of eating, though, I've started adding heavy cream to my coffee for the extra fats. Usually I do 2 tablespoons. I find the earthy coffees like Ethiopian works well with cream.

I've also been using this instant stuff (GASP!!!) for my morning speed. It's crazy good brain food. It's basically instant Nescafe or something with MCT oil mixed right in and a dash of cocoa or vanilla extract of some sort. Really subtle. I mix that stuff with heavy cream and/or cacao butter. The chocolate has been sold out on Amazon for a while, and the manufacturer's website has been nonfunctional for the past couple months, though, so the Lipix guys might be out of business. Oh well.

A local coffee shop has started selling butter coffee "also known as Bulletproof". I have it with 1 tablespoon of Kerrygold, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, 2 tablespoons of heavy cream, and a dash of vanilla extract. They blend it up and it's a really nice treat when I'm out instead of the mochas I used to get.

Somebody posted on here once a link to a female-oriented "rocket fuel latte". I liked the idea.
    Here's how I make it:
    COFFEE
    1 tablespoon cacao butter
    1-2 tablespoons hemp hearts
    1 tablespoon coconut oil
    2 tablespoons heavy cream.

Put all that in a blender and mix it up well, then add:
    1 tablespoon grass-fed gelatin
    Blend for another 20 seconds.

The site actually called for collagen instead of the gelatin, but I don't have any at the moment so made do. It made the coffee so deliciously thick and creamy. It did not solidify like you might think - I didn't let it sit around enough. :)
    The hemp hearts helped keep me full longer and I was able to use it as a morning meal replacement without the coconut oil making my stomach churn in knots.
    Here's the original: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2015/04/rocket-fuel-latte/

Oh yeah. Somebody mentioned French Press and Yirgacheffe...what a coincidence. That's what I'm sipping on right now - a rare LIGHT ROAST and oh so sweet like popcorn!

-T.
  • MizTenaciousT
    MizTenaciousT Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I make my "Keto Tea."

3 bags or 3 tsp loose leaf tea of choice
    20 ounces of boiling water (I take 12 ounces with me in a thermos to school and sip on it during the day).
    2 tbs kerrygold unsalted butter
    2 tbs coconut oil
    2 - 3 ounces hwc
    8 - 12 drops or so liquid stevia to taste

I steep the tea and pour 12 ounces into my to-go thermos with 1 -2 ounces of hwc and stevia drops to taste.

In a large mixing cup I pour the rest of the tea, add the 2 tbs butter, 2 tbs coconut oil, and 1-2 ounces of hwc with stevia drops to taste. Sometimes I'll add a half scoop of vanilla whey protein powder too. I wisk it all together until frothy and drink it while getting ready for the day!

On days I want something with fewer calories, I just reduce the amount of butter, oil, and cream. Oh, and I recently started adding a dose of liquid multivitamins to my morning tea too.
  • aleehagen
    aleehagen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't personally do it anymore because I enjoy eating and would rather ingest those calories in a meal than drink them.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Definitely "yay" for me.

I love the way pure fat gives me energy first thing in the morning and curbs my hunger until the early afternoon.

I use 20-25g grass-fed butter and virgin coconut oil in about 500ml of brewed coffee... a splash of vanilla and some cinnamon for flavour.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    aleehagen wrote: »
    I don't personally do it anymore because I enjoy eating and would rather ingest those calories in a meal than drink them.

In adding my eggs to make my version primal and bulletproof, I get such and enjoyable nourishing meal that I don't miss chewing. I'm not just drinking calories, I'm just getting them in another form that doesn't require chewing. It took a little adjustment at first, but now my body objects on the weekends if I miss my tea! LOL
  • MizTenaciousT
    MizTenaciousT Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like it because it's so convenient too. During the workweek my time in the morning doesn't generally allow for sitting down to eat, but I can drink my tea while doing other things. On the weekends I'll brew up the "lighter" version and make some eggs and bacon for a more traditional sit down breakfast.
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    ...now my body objects on the weekends if I miss my tea! LOL

Mine too! I don't feel like the day starts off right without it! Lol!