Coping With Feelings

Options
kmleaf
kmleaf Posts: 46 Member
Ace,
Thanks for starting this group. I am only one month into using MFP and this is the first group I have joined. I was reading all the great advice members were giving you and I felt compelled to join your group.

I am a 59 year old female with two adult sons. I started with 150 lbs to lose and just hit my first 20 lbs lost. My oldest son inspired me. He is 30 yrs old and he lost over 200 lbs using MFP. He is now scheduled for skin removal surgery next month.

Enough about me. I wanted to discuss feelings and how to cope with them.

I, like many others, am an emotional eater and use food to stuff my feelings. Heck, to be perfectly honest, I used food for anything and everything! I decided that I needed to dig into those nasty feelings if I was going to have any chance at lasting success. So, I would like to discuss eating our emotions and how to control it.

Love to all.

Replies

• Storytella100
    Storytella100 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you for sharing that and yes I feel the same way I love to eat when I'm sad and depressed. But lately what I've been doing is drinking lots of water instead of eating at the same time. I'm also trying to quit smoking cigarettes. So it's very hard for me to stop so when I think about smoking one I try to start and work out to take my mine off smoking plus I know I'm helping out my body. Great topic
  • 2009jewellz
    2009jewellz Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I joined! I pray God gives you the strength you need to fight this battle. He made us, so he knows the body:) I have about 25 to 30 to lose. Losing isn't easy, but we can do it. I tried so many fad diets. You can you will. Set some short and long term goals. It's easy to gain hard lose, don't make sense. But. God gonna see through this journey.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    Options
    Guys remember that MFP (and the groups) have both their good and bad moments.

At the end of the day MFP is a tool. You have to use the tool to your benefit, and I think that it is a great tool to help you make choices that are more right for you.

Like, when I logged a couple of slices of bread and some strawberry jam and some peanut butter and looked at the calorie total and considered how satisfied or hungry I was after eating that.

And then looked at 350g of 0% fat high protein plain greek yogurt, and 250g of cut up fresh apples, and a couple of 100g yoplait splenda sweetened fruit yogurt for flavouring and looked at the calorie total and how hungry I was after eating that.

Yup, I still do eat some peanut butter and jam from time to time; but, I sure as heck eat greek yogurt more often :smile:

You also have to temper expectations: not every day will be rainbows and puppies.

However, one sub-optimal choice or meal doesn't mean that the next choice or meal has to be sub-optimal too! Nip it in the bud and make the next choice the right one as opposed to saying "*kitten* it" and continuing to blow it.
  • kmleaf
    Options
    This is something that I have been trying lately - when I have cravings (usually in the evenings) but it's not hunger, I stop and ask myself what emotions I am feeling at the time. Often the answer is nothing more than tired or bored. Before, I would have just eaten without even questioning the reason.
  • flitterfoot
    flitterfoot Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi all I too am an emotional eater with the added problem that all family and friend events are centred around food. Parties, meals out, meals in, drinks and nibbles with the girls etc.

I'm lucky that most of the people around me are supportive and try to make healthier meals for when I'm around, provide veg sticks for snacks etc.

This week is going to be very hard for me, we've had family surprise us by coming to stay for a week with no warning. Normally it wouldn't be a problem but my nieces are really picky eaters so I know it's going to be pizza, burgers etc all week with crisps, chocolate and sweets all over the house. Even if I make healthier food for myself I'm still going to want to eat all the junk food that we now don't usually keep in the house.

Part of me says just try to be good and if (when) I eat the junk log everything and when I put weight on try and remember it's an oddity not the norm, which is what I tell everyone to do. Part of me wants to tell them to go away I'm not strong enough to have all this food around me, but if I do that then will I ever be strong enough?

I suspect I'll end up eating a lot of junk this week and try to make up sone of the calories in exercise by taking the kids swimming and out to the park/beach. But I think it's going to be a bad week food wise, even though I'm going to love having the family up since we only tend to see my brother once or twice a year.
  • kmleaf
    Options
    I wish that I had some awesome words of wisdom for you, but I don't. Maybe you can tell yourself that you will allow yourself to have ONE bite only of each of those foods that you see the rest eating. A saying that I have heard many times before that I often tell myself is, "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels."

I wish you the best getting through the week of unexpected guests. It will be tough but I think you have the right attitude. Stay active, log your food and then put the week behind you. We all have to learn how to navigate these times in our lives without it totally destroying our goals. Be mindful of what your "self-talk" is saying in the back of your head and don't let that negative talk take over.

Let us know how it all went and if you picked up any insights or tricks that worked for you.
    Good luck to you, enjoy your family and stay positive!
  • flitterfoot
    Options
    Well day one is over and I actually managed (just) to stay under goal. We had pizza out and I ordered a salad and had a couple of pieces of the daughters pizza which was a thin and crispy veg delight with half cheese (I owe her a "proper" pizza next time she goes out). We didn't get out for exercise today so I made the calories up by "jogging" on the trusty wii fit. Tomorrow is going to be ribs and wings but at least the gym will be open tomorrow and I'll have time to go while they are visiting other family members.

I actually managed to resist the crisps and chocolate once we got home which surprised me. I thought I'd have a lot of problems with them sitting there calling my name, but we were so busy catching up I didn't feel the need to nibble.
  • kmleaf
    Options
    Congrats! You did an excellent job. Stay focused on visiting with family instead of the food like you did today. You really made some wonderful choices and it sounds like you have a good plan in place to help you cope.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you for sharing that and yes I feel the same way I love to eat when I'm sad and depressed. But lately what I've been doing is drinking lots of water instead of eating at the same time. I'm also trying to quit smoking cigarettes. So it's very hard for me to stop so when I think about smoking one I try to start and work out to take my mine off smoking plus I know I'm helping out my body. Great topic
    Re: Smoking. When I quit in 2009, I think it was..it was the hardest thing I have ever done. That is when I really gained a lot of weight. It will be very hard to quit both over eating and smoking at the same time. I took a prescription pill called 'Chantix' to quit and also used Nicotine lozenges.. And well...obviously..I used 'food' as a substitute. Good luck. It CAN be done. :)

• Carol_
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I overeat ( I mean over ATE<:: past tense) at every emotional event in my life. Sad, happy, sleepy..whatever! But..trying hard to break the cycle and it's hard to do. As I say.."food offers an awful lot of comfort..when you are sad or lonely or whatever."
  • flitterfoot
    Options
    Day two is over now and I wasn't as successful as day one of the invasion was. Word of warning - considering how little meat is on chicken wings and pork ribs they are VERY high in calories and since my sister in law cooked dinner salad wasn't included. Still, even though I didn't stay under my goal I think I managed to stay under maintenance at least so I'm not to upset.

I've discovered that alcohol isn't as nice as the calories saved by not drinking it, so maybe that's how I managed to stay under my maintenance calorie limit. Another bonus is that I didn't realise how silly my family get once they've had a few (lots) drinks. I had much more entertainment watching them than I would of had if I'd joined them.

I might have done better if I'd managed to get more time in at the gym, unfortunately I got left with my youngest niece as she wasn't feeling well so only got 30 mins in.

Fingers crossed today will be better, I'm down at dad's all day while he has his yearly gas check so no temptation to nibble on the kids sweets and we have a clubbercise class booked for tonight which I refuse to cancel. They didn't let me know they were coming so I don't see why I should have to change everything I had planned for this week.
  • kmleaf
    Options
    Thanks for posting again - I have been wondering how it's been going with the unexpected guests. Don't be too hard on yourself because I think you are doing amazing!!

I have often been the sober one in a group (although not always) and I know exactly what you mean. It doesn't take much booze before people get pretty stupid funny.

I had dinner at the neighbor's over the weekend and they served ribs. I had three skinny little ribs and was shocked at how many calories they were. I mean, I knew they wouldn't be good and that's why I only had three when I wanted to eat the whole platter. Luckily, they had salad and plenty of fresh veggies and fruit that I could eat but I still went over.

Keep up the good work and I can't wait for your next chapter. By the way, I also agree that you should not change your whole schedule when you get surprise guests.
  • flitterfoot
    Options
    Yesterday didn't go too bad. It was weigh in day and I lost 2lb so I'm pretty happy, I might have lost more if the family hadn't arrived but I'm happy that I didn't gain.

We had Chinese takeaway for dinner so I could order my normal meal and not worry about it, I knew the clubbercise would cover the excess calories.

Today should be Ok I'm cooking dinner at home and even though it's going to be suitable for my nieces I can do salad or veg for me depending on what we are having.

Hope everyone else is doing Ok and hanging in there.
  • kmleaf
    Options
    Two pounds is fabulous, especially under these circumstances. My son came over for our weekly dinner date but I always cook and he is doing weight loss maintenance so it's always a healthy meal. In fact, he is the one that motivated me and encouraged me to use this program because he had so much success with it.

I love the new vitality I have even though I am still what would be called morbidly obese. Ugh! What an ugly term - I hated to even type it - but it's true. I feel better because I am fueling my body better. I used to eat horribly - full of junk and empty calories. I would wake up feeling icky in my tummy and sluggish. I remind myself often of what that used to feel like and how much better it is already - and that it will continue to improve as I drop more of the baggage I carry around.

Stay with the plan folks and remember to enjoy the journey.
  • Carol_
    Options
    I can relate to the watching others get drunk! I worked as a bartender for many years when I was younger. And speaking of feelings! I have no clue why I have felt so irritable today. Might be I am feeling 'closed in'. I need to get out, and go somewhere nice. I'd like to just 'run away' for a whole day! @kmleaf ::> It really is amazing how much better we feel when we eat right, sleep right & exercise. @flitterfoot::> Congrats on the 2 pounds! @PAV8888 'rainbows & puppies? lol' @ 2009jewellz, Hey there! Does anybody know where PocketAces went? I have sent him 2 messages, but no answer. I think he could use some encouragement. Sadly, he has not logged in for a few days. Everybody 'take care'! Love, carol

• 2009jewellz
    2009jewellz Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Carol_ wrote: »
    I overeat ( I mean over ATE<:: past tense) at every emotional event in my life. Sad, happy, sleepy..whatever! But..trying hard to break the cycle and it's hard to do. As I say.."food offers an awful lot of comfort..when you are sad or lonely or whatever."

Hey Carol! Jewellz from 90 Days. A lot of times our bodies are saying" hey I am thirsty , we mistake it for food. Next time grab some nice cold H20: )
  • flitterfoot
    Options
    I can totally relate kmleaf I too am still morbidly obese despite the amount of weight I've lost. Like you I also feel better for the weight I have lost so far.

It's odd how your tastes change and how you react to eating certain food as well. I used to love kebab and chips from the chip shop. We were at a friends a few weeks ago and since we'd done a LOT of exercise that day hubby and I worked out I had enough calories to order a donner kebab. I loved it until about 4 hours after I ate it when my stomach started complaining, never going to touch it again lol. My stomach doesn't seem to be able to handle too much grease now which isn't a bad thing I guess.

I also agree with being thirsty getting confused for being hungry. Iced watery is one of my best friends now for those who don't like water try it with fresh fruit in, hubby doesn't like water but he loves it if you add strawberry and kiwi to it and let it sit over night in the fridge.

For who are interested Thursday was full of ups and downs. The bad side was that after getting 6 girls ready to go swimming and transporting them all to the pool (about 6 miles away) it turns out the pool had a members only session on. I forgot the timetable changes in the school holidays. I could have gotten an extra 2 children in on my mine and our daughter's membership but not another 5. Daughters two friends and my eldest niece were Ok with it but the youngest 2 were stroppy for the rest of the day. So I t the youngest 2 with me and let the rest go out for the day. That meant I didn't get any gym time in at all.

The good part was that I cooked dinner (Oriental pork with rice) and made myself a portion filled with veg. Everyone loved my homemade rice and I was told they would have thought it shop bought if they hadn't seen me make it from scratch. I got in 30 mins on the wii fit and ended up under calories which made me even happier, since I ended up eating a load of sweets yesterday. Body unfortunately still loves sugar even if it doesn't love grease lol.

Hope everyone is well and I hope PocketAces is Ok and just hasn't joined us through connection issues or something silly.
  • kmleaf
    Options
    I sure hope PocketAces comes back. My heart went out to him when I read his posts and that's the reason I started this discussion. I wanted to do what I could to help support him so when he started this group I joined right away. I typically only read what others have to say but stay silent myself. Maybe it will turn out that he is the one that supported me instead. Come back Aces!

Flitterfoot, I had a similar intestinal experience about a month ago after eating a slice of quiche. First of all, I had scoped out the restaurant menu ahead of time and made a healthy selection at home. Then the waitress mentioned the quiche was the "special of the day" and I flipped at the last minute. My brain didn't even stop to think about the ingredients and that it might not be a good choice. Well, let me tell you that I paid for that decision for the rest of the day. The only good thing was that I wasn't hungry either since I felt so lousy so I still stayed under my calorie allowance for the day. I guess I also learned a pretty good lesson.

Carol, thanks for the support and I bet you have a lot of crazy stories from your bartender days.

I had a pleasant revelation last night. I have never been very keen on veggies and have always considered them a necessary evil. Well, last night I tossed a variety of veggies in olive oil, seasoned them and put them in a pan for oven roasting. As I put the pan in the oven I thought about how good they looked and how wonderful they were going to taste. Small thing for most people but huge mind shift for me....and they WERE delicious. :)

Enjoy the journey!
  • Carol_
    Options
    @kmleaf. I am glad you decided not to 'keep silent'. lol You write well!
  • Carol_
    Options
    @flitterfoot. How is the rest of your week going? I KNOW I'd be in trouble if there were people in my house eating things I could not eat. Eventually as I always do when I diet, I get used to seeing others eat more and it doesn't bother me. but right now, I am not at that place.