Struggling...

Options
InADarkRoom
InADarkRoom Posts: 84 Member
I've been struggling (and failing) to get into ketosis for a bit now. And things are....difficult at the minute to say the least. And when things get rough, like so many others, I turn to food. Carb rich food. So I'm pretty much off the wagon right now. That's not to say that I'm going crazy and scoffing everything in sight though!

But how do I pick myself up and get back on the wagon? And stay on it regardless of what is going on in my life? So that no matter how bad things get, I don't run for the carbs (not hills, carbs!) I so need to get to the point where I don't actually want carbs anymore but that seems like a near impossibility right now.

Not sure if I just need a kick up the butt or someone stood beside me the whole day or what! All I know is that I'm finding this way more difficult than others seem to and that I need help!

Replies

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    what's your favorite comfort food that doesn't have a lot of carbs in it?
  • InADarkRoom
    Options
    Don't think I have one....aaaaalllllll my fave comfort food have carbs in! That's why I am where I am right now I guess!
  • me_ona_diet
    me_ona_diet Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For me, it's the promise I made to my DH that, for me, is way harder to break than a promise to myself. That has given me the right mindset and determination to stick to it. I don't know if that's helpful at all, but it is what has helped me.
  • plumwd
    plumwd Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You just have to stick to your guns and not give in. Much easier said than done I know. You have to decide "Are you worth it?" The answer is "YES!".
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling (and failing) to get into ketosis for a bit now. And things are....difficult at the minute to say the least. And when things get rough, like so many others, I turn to food. Carb rich food. So I'm pretty much off the wagon right now. That's not to say that I'm going crazy and scoffing everything in sight though!

But how do I pick myself up and get back on the wagon? And stay on it regardless of what is going on in my life? So that no matter how bad things get, I don't run for the carbs (not hills, carbs!) I so need to get to the point where I don't actually want carbs anymore but that seems like a near impossibility right now.

Not sure if I just need a kick up the butt or someone stood beside me the whole day or what! All I know is that I'm finding this way more difficult than others seem to and that I need help!

I know exactly how you feel. Last year I practically made falling off and climbing back onto the wagon a sport. This year I decided to take it one day at a time and recommit to keto every morning. The problem before was that when I fell off I'd lie there feeling sorry for myself and bury myself in carbs for a couple of weeks. Now I get up IMMEDIATELY and make sure the very next thing I put into my mouth is keto friendly. Its now eleven weeks on the wagon and counting. Just keep going one day at a time, they add up so fast and before you know it you'll have broken your carb addiction.
  • InADarkRoom
    Options
    I don't live with my man and he is where the tough stuff in my life is right now so that's great that it works for you :smile: but that's not gonna cut it with me!

Definitely easier said than done!

I don't know if I'm making this more difficult or it seems it because of the crap going on right now but this seems to be so freakin' hard! Sorry for the whining guys and I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.
  • InADarkRoom
    Options
    I don't live with my man and he is where the tough stuff in my life is right now so that's great that it works for you :smile: but that's not gonna cut it with me!

I don't know if I'm making this more difficult or it seems it because of the crap going on right now but this seems to be so freakin' hard! Sorry for the whining guys and I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.
  • InADarkRoom
    Options

• Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Whine away :) . We've all been there. Sometimes just getting it off your chest makes it easier to process and gives it some perspective.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Do you have carby food laying around? First you need to eliminate anything that is triggering your cravings. Just clean it up and make it a priority.bnever go shopping hungry, eat good foot before you leave the house that will keep you full.
    Second, the craving only last few minutes, gove it time to pass, 10-15 min should be sufficient. Stop thinking about things you can't have, change your mind and concentrate on food that is actually will benefit you in the long run and is good for you. It takes time to break the addiction to carbs, it's hard, but it worth all the misery you have to go through. You will thank yourself later and be proud of your accomplishments instead of feeling guilty all the time. Make a goal each and every day, maybe start a journal and note why and when you have a craving, you can break the pattern once you know the cause. Do something else, drink water, have a bacon and other food that you like to kill the carb thought. Go for a walk, clean, work out, anything! You can do it, rip the benefits and feel good about it!
    We can only help and encourage you but your health is in your own hands, don't give up!!
    Hugs!!
  • InADarkRoom
    Options
    Thank you @GSD_Mama . That's really helpful....and I got a little tearful at the end of it!! :cry: :smile: Just shows what a wreck my mind is right now! Help and encouragement is definitely what I need so thank you so much!
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    exercise. walk. think and walk and meditate about what it is that needs prioritizing. Make an effort to do something kind for someone else; a trip to the food shelf with your carbs, clothing or volunteer work with a child. I always find my problems are quite small compared to others who struggle. Give back and you will find it makes you kinder and gentler on yourself . You can only give people or things power over you , if you choose to.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I find that when I'm craving something like mac and cheese, I really just need to take some broccoli and smother the crap out of it in butter and cheese. Hits the spot. When I'm craving chips, I make cheese crisps, eat pork rinds, bake chicken skins to crisp like chips, bacon, etc. When I want something rich, I have dark chocolate or homemade chocolate mousse. Etc. So let us know what your favorite foods are - even carby, try to figure out what it is about that you crave the most and satisfy that portion of the craving. I have yet to find a craving I can't meet mostly with a low carb option. My fiance had some cool ranch doritos. I baked some cheese crisps and sprinkled them right out of the oven (the topping can burn in the oven) with the ranch popcorn seasoning... 1000 times better than doritos, which now taste like sawdust and paste to me! I was a carb junkie of the worst degree! Now my stress cravings are bacon, salami/pepperoni, extra sharp cheddar, pickles, and homemade chocolate mousse, or my LOADED TEA.... Yeah, baby. Most of the rest of the crap isn't even more than a fleeting thought worth of temptation. The stress thoughts are still there, but the true desire isn't... You can make it through. If the girl who could eat an entire large jar of nutella in one sitting with a spoon (or 2-3 large pizzas) all by herself can get past the cravings, it's a likely bet that you can too, with diligence and support. (HUGEST HUGS EVER!)
  • InADarkRoom
    Options
    Aww thanks @KnitOrMiss it's amazing what some encouragement can do! I've had a bulletproof coffee this morning (my first) and that was actually pretty nice. I haven't had my almonds yet and I've normally scarfed them by now.

As for the major cravings - they tend to be for chocolate, flaky pastries, chips (crisps here in the UK!) and cookies. So ideas to replace them...aaaannd go! Seriously though, all ideas are appreciated.

I'm a little more positive this morning, things are still pants but what will be, will be I guess so I just have to suck it up and get on with it. And what's helped me? The fact that I can come and whine to you guys and you're nothing but supportive. I love this group! Thank you so much people :smile:
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    You'll have to go hunting a little, but there's a whole thread of snack suggestions on this forum. Stock up on your favorites so you'll always have something to grab when you're hungry. You can do this, you really can! :)
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    As for the major cravings - they tend to be for chocolate, flaky pastries, chips (crisps here in the UK!) and cookies. So ideas to replace them...aaaannd go! Seriously though, all ideas are appreciated.

I feel your pain, chocolate used to be my main problem (that and chocolate ice cream).

I emptied the house of anything that was less than 70% dark chocolate and bought the best quality, darkest chocolate I could find. Over the last few months I've increased the dark content of the chocolate and now eat mostly over 90%. Your palate evolves but you need time to adapt to the darker chocolates, especially if you're hooked on white, milk or candy-like chocolates.

I no longer have chocolate cravings often but when I do I have a couple of squares, let it melt slowly in my mouth and feel no guilt about it. At 1 or 2 carbs per square, it's easy to fit it in your macros. And it is amazing to reach a point when you can control how much chocolate you eat and still enjoy it (at least it was for me!). 99% chocolate has an amazing flavour and is so strong it is almost impossible to eat too much!

Plus, very dark chocolate has plenty of health benefits! :wink:

• InADarkRoom
    Options
    @KetoGirl83 Thanks!! I'm going to have to invest in some dark chocolate then.....
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Chocolate has been addressed. But I also like to make homemade chocolate mousse. About 4 TBSP of heavy cream, a packet of sweetener, and 1/2-1 TBSP of Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder (or better quality if you have it - if you use the regular boring stuff, you might need to add some vanilla). Whip it to thickness. Eat with a spoon. This should be an occasional treat. You can also add cocoa in that BPCoffee (or a SF syrup, though I don't like this option)... Just a few options.

Flaky pastries for me was mostly about the rich buttery taste. Find other ways to indulge this. I was a dessert person before, but nowadays, I'm really not missing these too much. I tried one croissant donut, one tiny bite, and OMG - binge city urges. I resisted, but it was HARD. No more! If there is another factor here, fill me in, and I'll make a better suggestion. (I like the rich creaminess of jello fat bombs - it's like a custardy yogurt pudding...)

chips/crisps. My favorite is cheese crisps. Google for "recipe" but it's all loose. Small piles or slices of cheese on parchment paper at 350 degrees (US) 5-7 minutes, keep watching it until they are browning around the edges. I like to sprinkle seasonings on them. My new favorite is sharp cheddar with "popcorn seasoning" onto them when I pull them out. I do it with the ranch seasoning, and it's better than doritos! Just watch the salt factor on any seasoning. It gets out of control quickly! You can use pepper jack with jalapeno slices or bacon crumbles in colby. The combinations are positively endless!!

Pork rinds with a dip you make are another great one. I like them with chunks of cheese. I haven't made a dip myself. But a tub of sour cream or cream cheese with a soup packet are a quick one. Someone said to try them with guacamole, too...

There are other cracker type things you can make too. I personally like baking chicken with skin on to make it juicy, then pull off the skins and bake them until super crispy... YUM!

Cookies - if you're looking for the gooey factor, see the mousse above. If you're looking for sweets, try fat bombs. If you're looking for sweet crunch, maybe try one minute muffins? This was one of the first cravings I lost, and I was an Oreo junkie.

Hope this helps a TON! But they key will end up being breaking the urges altogether, but some of these things can be transition foods or occasional treats...but they're easy to binge on too if you don't fix your brain too.. Let me know if you need any recipes.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Speaking of Oreos, one of the things that I noticed was that it was individual parts of the Oreos that I liked, not so much the cookies as a whole -- the creaminess of the filling and the chocolate flavor in the cookie, to be specific. One thing I realized after not having them for a while was that I didn't particularly care for them as a whole, but I felt almost "compelled" or "driven" to eat more. I have the same thing happen with certain varieties of M&Ms, too (namely the peanut butter ones). Yeah, the people who say abstaining just leads to deprivation and craving has clearly never dealt with this type of issue.

Nowadays, I find that when I'm craving sugar, chocolate, or whatever, it's because I need more fat, or more food in general.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Speaking of Oreos, one of the things that I noticed was that it was individual parts of the Oreos that I liked, not so much the cookies as a whole -- the creaminess of the filling and the chocolate flavor in the cookie, to be specific. One thing I realized after not having them for a while was that I didn't particularly care for them as a whole, but I felt almost "compelled" or "driven" to eat more. I have the same thing happen with certain varieties of M&Ms, too (namely the peanut butter ones). Yeah, the people who say abstaining just leads to deprivation and craving has clearly never dealt with this type of issue.

Nowadays, I find that when I'm craving sugar, chocolate, or whatever, it's because I need more fat, or more food in general.

Yes, YES. All of this ^^!