This old girl isn't giving up! but, she needs some expanations!

Options
Corinne_Howland
Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
Hi,
I've been on MFP for 2 years. Lost 17 pounds within about 3 months by cutting calories to 1200 and exercising religiously. that stayed off pretty well for over a year, but started creeping back up. Still 1200 cals and still exercising 6 days a week. so, now, I'm up 7 pounds from then.
So, recently, one of my fitness pal friends was telling me about EM2WL and I was floored. Can this be what has happened to me? I've ruined my metabolism by eating too low for loo long. So, I did the homework and found my numbers.
BMR 1427
TDEE 2212
-15% 1880

I'm 50 years old.
5'6" tall
Type 1 diabetic (controlled)
hypothyroid (controlled)
weight 162
goal 145

I have a desk job.
I'm doing the C25K program, so running/brisk walk 3 days a week, ( 30 minutes each ) I lift 1 day a week. and take a brisk walk 2-3 days a week.

so I set my activity at moderate.
I've been reading that too much cardio isn't the way to go. so, more lifting? what about the fact that I'm diabetic? doesn't cardio benefit me for heart health?

I'm having trouble actually eating that many calories! I get to the end of the day, and realized I'm still under but not hungry. I feel bloated most of the time. ugh!

I've been thinking about getting a fitbit hr to help calculate what I'm actually burning during the day. Thoughts?
Thank you in advance.

Replies

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!

It sounds, in my poorly educated opinion, that you have stalled your metabolism and a reset is in order. Now, hopefully you didn't try to jump from 1200 to 2212 all at once. You should be increasing daily intake by about 250 cals each week until you get up to TDEE. If you jumped 1000 cals/day all at once, no wonder you feel bloated.

As far as training, cardio is not bad, but you want to find balance between resistance and cardio. Building muscle mass is important to improving your metabolism and burning more fat while at rest. My suggestion, and that's all it is, would be to have 3 resistance workouts a week and 3 cardio sessions since you're used to working out 6 days/wk anyway. That way you give yourself time to recover from lifting in between sessions and you still benefit from the heart healthy cardio.

I think activity trackers are great tool for focus. I have the Polar Loop and love everything about it. It tracks steps, sets my activity goals automatically so I can't slack and has the EKG chest strap HR sensor for workouts. Which ever one you go with will be a good tool if used properly.

Good luck to you! Keep us posted on your progress.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!

It sounds, in my poorly educated opinion, that you have stalled your metabolism and a reset is in order. Now, hopefully you didn't try to jump from 1200 to 2212 all at once. You should be increasing daily intake by about 250 cals each week until you get up to TDEE. If you jumped 1000 cals/day all at once, no wonder you feel bloated.

As far as training, cardio is not bad, but you want to find balance between resistance and cardio. Building muscle mass is important to improving your metabolism and burning more fat while at rest. My suggestion, and that's all it is, would be to have 3 resistance workouts a week and 3 cardio sessions since you're used to working out 6 days/wk anyway. That way you give yourself time to recover from lifting in between sessions and you still benefit from the heart healthy cardio.

I think activity trackers are great tool for focus. I have the Polar Loop and love everything about it. It tracks steps, sets my activity goals automatically so I can't slack and has the EKG chest strap HR sensor for workouts. Which ever one you go with will be a good tool if used properly.

All of what he said. If you end up at the end of the day with extra calories try adding a tablespoon of nut butter or coconut oil to meals. That will eat up lots of calories without filling you up to much.

I have to Charge HR and I love it. Keeps me motivated and helps me get a better understanding of what I should be eating and how much I am burning.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Welcome!!

All of what he said. If you end up at the end of the day with extra calories try adding a tablespoon of nut butter or coconut oil to meals. That will eat up lots of calories without filling you up to much.

I have to Charge HR and I love it. Keeps me motivated and helps me get a better understanding of what I should be eating and how much I am burning.

i second this, i was eating super low calories when i first started then found my TDEE then got a fitbit flex and found this site!

As of right now i am trying for 2 days of Strenght training and 2 days of C25K, i have seen a MAJOR improvement from past attempts at C25K just from adding the strength training
  • Corinne_Howland
    Options
    leooftheyear.......doesn't adding coconut oil add a lot of fat to your macros. I have a hard time keeping that number in check even with not meeting the calories! I know they are healthy fats, but, still!
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    @leooftheyear if you find it more difficult to keep fat in check, I know your pain. I have been trying more turkey options, reduced fat cheese and the biggie is fat free greek yogurt. It really helps you get in some good protein without a bunch of fat.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sounds like 1.5 hrs run/walk combo, lifting of unknown minutes, and walking that should be counted as 1/2 the time since just walking.

What's daily activity though, since the TDEE chart only speaks of exercise, and so far it appears Lightly Active unless that walking is for hours?

Still kids in the house with increased workout after work for cooking/cleaning/clothes?
    Or they are well trained, and only need encouragement to do their chores?
    Or you live on a farm and are busy 9 hrs daily with chores yourself?

See how daily activity could easily trump exercise time?
  • Corinne_Howland
    Options
    No kids at home. Don't live on a farm. Don't live in a barn, either, so , housework, laundry, cooking is done by yours truly. Anyway, lifting is for 25 minutes, from start to finish, once a week.
    C25k is a 30minute, walk/run 3 Days a week. Brisk 1 hour walks 2 days a week.
    @XavierNusum , thank you for your helpful post.
  • braves1girl
    braves1girl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and I love it! I had a HRM prior to getting the Fitbit. I agree with @XavierNusum in that you need to find your TDEE. I totally ruined my metabolism by doing a low carb diet ( at a clinic and paid a fortune) for about 8 mos, then moved on to another year and a half of (what ultimately turned out to be) a very low calorie diet. I only lost 20 lbs in almost 2 yrs! I was angry all the time, exhausted all the time, my hair was thinning and I wasn't seeing any difference at all. It took me a year of reset (trying, quitting/giving up/losing patience) before it finally "clicked" with me. I can not stress to you enough how important it is to trust this process! You will be amazed at how things will start working for you once you eat at your cut number of 1880!!! Feel free to PM if you have more questions! Good luck!!!
  • braves1girl
    braves1girl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Also, if you haven't already...download the free Starter Kit! It explains everything, tells you what to expect, etc. Well worth the read!!! I still refer back to it when I need a jumpstart/lose patience or just need confirmation that I'm still on track. In case you haven't realized it, patience isn't one of my virtues! :)
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    First of all, welcome! So glad you have found us!

It sounds like you are exactly right, your metabolism has slowed down to match the consistent, decreased intake. It has adapted. In order to get it running back up where it should be, it sounds like you would definitely benefit from a metabolism reset (as suggested above^^). Have you read our Metabolism Reset Guide? You might find it to be very helpful in guiding you through the process step by step:

http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/

It sounds like you would fall into the Moderately Active category, but getting a FitBit will help to confirm that number as you gradually start to increase your calories and get closer and closer to your TDEE. It takes some of the guess work out of the equation.

Definitely stay active and keep up your walking, but don't over-do it. You really will want to add in some more strength training to try to build some muscle mass (which you will be able to do once you are actually eating at your TDEE level). Muscle becomes more and more important, especially as we age and it is vital to keep your metabolism chugging along. The older we get, the harder we have to fight to keep it!

As far as feeling overly stuffed and bloated, that is completely normal at this stage of the game. Those feeling will decrease as your body becomes accustomed to the increased volume of food. Just take the increases slowly and increase as you feel ready. If you are trying to get in some extra calories, try some nuts or nut butters. My favorite go-to is almonds, pecans, dried cranberries (or other dried fruit) and some small dark chocolate chunks. It is delicious and really packs a calorie punch!

Again, welcome and make sure you take a look at that Metabolism Reset Guide, if you haven't already. Feel free to send me a friend request if you would like a shoulder to lean on along the way. You can also hop onto our EatMore2WeighLess Forums. Lots of people over there going through the exact same thing that you are who will love to support you and share their experiences...

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    No kids at home. Don't live on a farm. Don't live in a barn, either, so , housework, laundry, cooking is done by yours truly. Anyway, lifting is for 25 minutes, from start to finish, once a week.
    C25k is a 30minute, walk/run 3 Days a week. Brisk 1 hour walks 2 days a week.
    @XavierNusum , thank you for your helpful post.

So almost 3 hrs of exercise then. And if decently active otherwise outside work, bumps you up, or between levels actually.

Ditto to trading some of that walking time with lifting time. 3 x weekly should be possible. Tough for you, not maintenance easy lifting.

Fitbit or similar can be useful if curious and don't mind investment. You may not have the variety and activity level that would make it really interesting, but still could be useful, and possibly more motivating. Unless the step goals has you do more walking than lifting.
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm glad you found the group! I had to increase my calories by around 1600/day cal when I joined the group... I was only eating 1200 a day but my TDEE was around 2850. It was difficult at first increase calories but one way that made it much easier for me is making sure to eat every couple of hours, never skip a meal never skip a snack and also if you're very far below your calories eat high calorie, high protein shakes.
    I had one shake that was almost 900 cal. Able to get a lot more calories in that way without feeling stufffed. My protein shake had soy protein isolate powder, almond milk, almond butter, flax meal, Chia seeds, banana and frozen berries.
    I agree with everything said above!