How often do you take OTC pain meds?

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
As a 43 year old runner, I find myself relying more and more on Tylenol to take away those daily aches and pains (mostly joint related). I am just wondering if this is normalcy for someone my age or if I should be concerned about over training. For the sake of discussion, I guess it would also be appropriate to mention that I have had issues with Crohn's related arthritis. But the point of this post is really just to see how often other runners use OTC pain meds. Thanks in advance for your input.

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    One advil, at least once a day.
    And not for the broken ankle - that doesn't hurt at all, didn't even when I broke it.
    It's for the mysteriousness that is my right leg
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Almost never, the exception being when I have a headache I can't shake.
  • vcphil
    vcphil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I probably take IB profin on average 1x a week. I get headaches a lot. Some times I take it if i'm in a lot of running pain. I would just ask your Doc. When I mention how often I take IB profin, they don't even bat an eye :-/
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Never. I throw out more out of date pain medication than I use.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I've read studies where the use of nsaids will actually extend recovery time and prevent muscle rebuilding. They also can cause a host of other issues if used for prolonged periods of time. Tylenol is not a nsaid so it would be the choice to use over IB Profin or Advil for headaches and minor pain if you are training hard and have soreness. Some studies have also found Tylenol to increase endurance. I for the most part try to avoid them all together unless I have a headache.

• lporter229
    Options
    vcphil wrote: »
    Hmmm. I probably take IB profin on average 1x a week. I get headaches a lot. Some times I take it if i'm in a lot of running pain. I would just ask your Doc. When I mention how often I take IB profin, they don't even bat an eye :-/

I take Tylenol 1-2 times per week. At one point I was taking it almost daily. My doctor did not see this as an issue at all. I think I am more concerned with the idea that I need pain meds than I am about actually taking them.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I don't take OTCs for any muscle/exercise related pain because that's the type of ache/pain I like to keep an eye on. I get awful headaches though at least every other week, and I take ibuprofen + acetaminophen together to make them go away.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'll take acetaminophen as part of cold/sinus medication, and occasionally ibuprofen or aleve for a bad headache. I try to avoid NSAIDs for running injuries, though, because I buy into the theory that they (and ice!) can slow down recovery. I will ice a bad bruise or a twisted joint, though.

Acetaminophen can be bad news bears if you're taking it consistently over a long period of time. Listen to this This American Life episode. It'll give you the willies.
  • lporter229
    Options
    kozinskey wrote: »

Acetaminophen can be bad news bears if you're taking it consistently over a long period of time. Listen to this This American Life episode. It'll give you the willies.

As part of my ongoing treatment for Crohn's disease, I have a complete blood panel done every 6 weeks, which includes liver function, so I feel fairly comfortable taking acetaminophen. I have been advised against taking NSAIDs, as they can exacerbate the effects of Crohn's disease in the digestive tract. That's an interesting link, though.

So based on most of the responses, I am feeling like most people don't have nagging aches and pains from running, or if they do, it's just grin and bear it. I think I used to be in that boat until recently. Maybe I do need to consider a step back in training. Thanks for the replies.

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    About once a year. The side effects aren't worth it.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I take Aleve once in a blue moon, but I did find less need for relief when I slowed down as I brought mileage up. For me, that took away the long run aches I use to have.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Never, unless there's an actual injury. I'm 44 and do get some aches and soreness after workouts, but I consider that normal. Nothing good stretching and a good night's sleep doesn't cure. One of my knees tends to ache right after a run (injury from flag football eons ago), but the same protocol works...some rest and it's fine the next day.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Never if running.

If injured take a med and rest.

If sore, it comes with the activity.

At age 60, I've learned a few things about aches and pains.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    My answer is it depends. If there are a few minor aches and pains, I might not take anything. A little more soreness and pain, I might take a Tylenol or aspirin (I prefer aspirin over Tylenol for pain and inflammation) to offer temporary relief and comfort. But I've generally avoided taking anything just so I can run. I've done it before with mixed results. Better to monitor the aches and pains rather than having them concealed or deadened.

An example: I ran hill repeats this morning and what hurts are the glutes not the quads. It's a delayed onset soreness. Now, I don't expect to have to take anything today. If it is interfering with my sleep tonight, I'll probably take something. Tomorrow is a rest day, so unless I'm really having some pain, I probably won't take anything tomorrow. My next run is Sunday and I won't take anything before that run. I'll reassess after the run.

That said, I don't mind taking some OTC pain medication for normal functioning if there are some workout related pains. I just have no interest in relying upon them to get me through day.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    42 and I don't take any pain meds, esp not for anything related to running or working out. Occasionally if I have a headache that relaxing doesn't help, I take Depon (Tylenol). Sometimes if I push too hard, too long, in too much heat I get one of those headaches so I guess that's sort of running related but it's very rare, is every couple months. But I'm a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slow, easy runner--I guess if I pushed harder my answer might be different. ;-)
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I generally take one dose of ibuprofen after runs that are longer than a half marathon but nothing more than that.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Those who do take pain meds for running soreness, what sort of mileage are you clocking?
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Very Rarely, I'm 46 and running around 70 miles a week. If you're having to take them too often there could be an issue rather than attempt to cover it up maybe try and solve the problem (which could be as simple as different shoes) would be my advice
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I don't think mileage and pain always go hand in hand; the factors for pain are so varied. I remember my physiology professor once said "pain is it's own textbook, it's own course." Shoes, age, "prior ware" (past injuries, etc), prior training, past pain experices...but too fast, too much, too often probably plays a big role.

But many here do not do that and still need it now and then. I think that's where the other million factors come in!
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I might take an OTC med after a long run if I am feeling more sore than usual. But never on a daily basis.