I'm struggling to lose weight - problems with binging, any help?

Options

Replies

• JessikaJacobs87
    JessikaJacobs87 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sugar is an addiction, as others have said. In order to break that, you need to stop eating them. I quit cold turkey, but not everyone can do that. Now that ive been doing this for a bit iver a month, I find that if im out with my husband and he wants, say, a slice of pie, I can split it with him without feeling guilty and without wanting more. It takes time. Progress, not perfection. If You just crave that sweet taste, there are drinks that are sweet that wont ruin a good day, natural organic stavia, and many other options. I drink ice water. Find what works for you. But first, break the cycle. I know you can do it, just mind over matter.
  • Mo0npie
    Mo0npie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The longer you go without cheating, the easier it gets - truly. But if you give into your cravings every day youre going to start feeling like its impossible to resist, instead of just sucking it up and walking past the cake. Ive been on low carb for only 2 weeks with no cheats, and already looking at things like cakes and sweets just do nothing for me - I dont want them.
  • JessikaJacobs87
    JessikaJacobs87 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Also, my husband and roomie do not eat like me. so I know what its like to still have junk in the house. I know temptation. Im sorry your family doesnt support you. Add me if you like, ive found things people would consider 'bad for you' that actually works with this LCHF. Maybe that would help?
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I just finished a "binge" 5 minutes ago. Broke down & took sleeping pill forgetting they make me extremely hungry. But I kept it LCHF - Cajun ch wings, cheese, & BP tea. 1 carb in tea. So over in fats & cals, but no worries. (I hope).
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Should have mentioned that before I started this woe, would have eaten my way thru my pantry (chips, granola bars, crackers). Tonite didn't even tempt me. Ate my way thru fridge instead,lol.
  • tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it is a habit of eating at certain times you have a problem with. For me it is at night. I would have in the past have had toast with Jam, ( or jelly as you americans say) and biscuits, ( cookies) stuff like that. I find myself going to the press to find something to munch on. So now I have peanuts, or berries. I know you don't like fruit but keep trying I am sure there are one or two fruits out there that you do actually like.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Well this is a crappy situation. How old is OP? Does she have an income to buy some of her own foods? If over 18 and with an income - I say do whatever you want and ignore them - they will get used to it when they see the results.

She does as much as she can, but the temptation gets to her. I remember that feeling well. Until I got my head together last year, I can tell you it would have been misery incarnate to try to stop. I know she's been to unsupportive doctors, and upsetting her family further is hard for her at this point, so she's doing a lot. I've seen her progress a lot lately, but having hormonal imbalances (PCOS) complicate this more, in my experience...

Sending you hugs, Jenny. I know that no amount of determination and willpower would have helped me at first... It just takes time. Every time you come back swinging, you come back stronger!
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Yeah parents can be the worst. Mine decided to tell my fiancé last weekend (in MY house eating the food I HAD BOUGHT) that I was clearly taking financial advantage of him with my WOE as it was expensive meat and fish I was eating all the time. Happily he just shrugged and said 'we like to eat well in this house' and moved on :-)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Jenny's parents are supporting her the best way they know how...so I can't blame them for that. Hopefully they'll get on board when they can see it making a difference for her... We all know how hard it can be to break the old mindsets.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss, is there another Jenny's post about her parents? I don't see it anywhere. Just reading from her posting in here i didn't know that she is on Parental control. Her profile says she is 21, i think she can do something about her eating, parents or not.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Sk8Kate wrote: »
    I just finished a "binge" 5 minutes ago. Broke down & took sleeping pill forgetting they make me extremely hungry. But I kept it LCHF - Cajun ch wings, cheese, & BP tea. 1 carb in tea. So over in fats & cals, but no worries. (I hope).

If you're extremely hungry you aren't binging. You're hungry, so you need to eat. Also, you may feel this way a lot at the beginning, go ahead and eat. If you gain weight, it most likely won't be a lot. The need to eat so much WILL pass, though when is different for everyone. For now maybe try focusing on eating when you're hungry, and eating low carb.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    GSD_Mama wrote: »
    @KnitOrMiss, is there another Jenny's post about her parents? I don't see it anywhere. Just reading from her posting in here i didn't know that she is on Parental control. Her profile says she is 21, i think she can do something about her eating, parents or not.

Most of this info is from conversations Jenny and I have had on her wall or on PM. I'm sorry if I am seeming vague, but I'm not sure how much of her personal information she wants to make public. She's lucky to have a family that cares so much - and just doesn't know how to help! All the info out there is so conflicting... Her parents buy most of the house foods, and she gets what she can on her own, but they are convinced full fat anything is evil and all the normal stuff. She is always on the lookout for videos and info that will help them see the true benefits of the system, so ... if anyone has any?!? Because if she can get them to understand what she wants to do for her own health is truly healthy, I know they'll jump on board to help her all they can....
  • SueM86
    SueM86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Someone posted a great video on this board earlier today - think the title is "dumbed down low carb" or something - it's worth a watch and if op can persuade her family to watch it too it might help a little. Good luck x
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    SueM86 wrote: »
    Someone posted a great video on this board earlier today - think the title is "dumbed down low carb" or something - it's worth a watch and if op can persuade her family to watch it too it might help a little. Good luck x

I was going to suggest the same. There are some points that he could have made more clear or make more sense, but I agree, for a layperson, that video's pretty great.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    There is another video that same guy has relating a tree to the link between metabolic syndrome and various illnesses, if she has health issues, that might help convince them. I followed the video link to Youtube and his Youtube channel.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Parents....Op, I'm in a similar situation(starting university in the fall, hormone imbalances, parents who buy and eat all kinds of carbs).

If you can get a few key items it'll help you out:

Coconut oil(check grocery outlet or similar stores where you are for good deals)-helps you stay full and can help you avoid bingeing
    Butter-this may be tricky as it *should* be refrigerated, but I've kept it in a small cooler with some ice packs and wrapped in a blanket for about a week with no problems(YMMV)
    Pork rinds-these can be stored under a bed, are cheap, and filling
    Cream cheese-Yes full fat is best, BUT 1/3 less fat has no more carbs so it's likely more in line with what the family wants and could be kept in the fridge

These next few may not work for you, but may make your parents happier if you can stomach them:
    Avocados-widely regarded as healthy, your parents would probably buy them for you(I know you don't like fruits, but these aren't at all "fruity")

Cabbage-again, widely regarded as healthy and you can slather it in some of your butter or coconut oil

Salads-yes yes, veggies aren't your thing. But it may be beneficial to your situation with your family to get a few down you, just drown them in olive oil and mayo(both shelf stable, or if you can get some alone time you could mix them up and put them in an old dressing bottle with some seasonings)

From what I've found, parents won't watch a video they see as condoning unhealthy habits. Asking them to wait for results when they see you doing things they believe are going to kill you is nearly impossible. Let them do them, eat separately from them whenever possible. If they ask why you aren't going to eat dinner with them say that you don't have the calories left for it-then go polish off a bag of porkrinds. Or just not be home for dinner. If you can go for a long walk 3-4 times per week and use it to skip dinner all the better.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I think of my desire to binge as my inner 3yo. That b!tch has to be told no. We all know what 3yo's turn out like if you give them their own way all the time.
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »
    I think of my desire to binge as my inner 3yo. That b!tch has to be told no. We all know what 3yo's turn out like if you give them their own way all the time.

Lol! This is so true! This is a great way to think about it.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    You have great advice here. Thing is, it can be done. We are all ex-carb addicts, working on getting our health back. It can be done and it gets easier as you progress.

Parents can be very difficult. It's out of love, we know, but it does complicate things. My mother used to go on and on that I needed to lose weight, that I must do something. What something she didn't say because i was clearly "eating well". When I started LCHF she was very concerned about all the fat (to her mind it would be better to have bariatric surgery, as that would be doctor controlled). But, as I started losing weight, feeling and looking better she became supportive and even changed some of her own habits. So Jenny, your parents love you or they wouldn't nag you. Keep strong, it will get better.

All this to say that I was like you, I don't think I could tell the difference between being hungry and wanting to eat. If there was carby food around I wanted to eat it, if there wasn't I felt deprived. For weeks after starting this WOE my mind turned to the foods that I used to love and it was very difficult, yes. Once I had a nervous breakdown and started crying when shopping because I knew I couldn't buy fruit or I would eat it. I bought a small packet of raspberries and made it last 2 days.

There are plenty of foods that are good for you and will be approved by your mom, try to keep mostly to those and work your way slowly to your macros. If you show her that your resolution is strong, that you've done the research and that science fully supports your choice, it will get easier. Good luck!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Parents....Op, I'm in a similar situation(starting university in the fall, hormone imbalances, parents who buy and eat all kinds of carbs).

If you can get a few key items it'll help you out:

Coconut oil(check grocery outlet or similar stores where you are for good deals)-helps you stay full and can help you avoid bingeing
    Butter-this may be tricky as it *should* be refrigerated, but I've kept it in a small cooler with some ice packs and wrapped in a blanket for about a week with no problems(YMMV)
    Pork rinds-these can be stored under a bed, are cheap, and filling
    Cream cheese-Yes full fat is best, BUT 1/3 less fat has no more carbs so it's likely more in line with what the family wants and could be kept in the fridge

These next few may not work for you, but may make your parents happier if you can stomach them:
    Avocados-widely regarded as healthy, your parents would probably buy them for you(I know you don't like fruits, but these aren't at all "fruity")

Cabbage-again, widely regarded as healthy and you can slather it in some of your butter or coconut oil

Salads-yes yes, veggies aren't your thing. But it may be beneficial to your situation with your family to get a few down you, just drown them in olive oil and mayo(both shelf stable, or if you can get some alone time you could mix them up and put them in an old dressing bottle with some seasonings)

From what I've found, parents won't watch a video they see as condoning unhealthy habits. Asking them to wait for results when they see you doing things they believe are going to kill you is nearly impossible. Let them do them, eat separately from them whenever possible. If they ask why you aren't going to eat dinner with them say that you don't have the calories left for it-then go polish off a bag of porkrinds. Or just not be home for dinner. If you can go for a long walk 3-4 times per week and use it to skip dinner all the better.

This is one of the best responses I've seen here!!! Thanks for giving an "on the ground" type of response. I bet this made her day!