Every other day ?

Options
sachmeer
sachmeer Posts: 9 Member
Hi guys, I have just finished my first week, so far so good, am feeling motivated,
quick question, has anyone tried fasting every other day for a few weeks. I am THE most impatient person and the quicker this weight goes the better, I know steady weightloss is a better result overall !! how much have you lost say over 3 months doing the 5-2 ?

Replies

• zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have done EOD since January 2015. Its hard to compare with others but I have lost 10lbs since I started. Initially fast then after 2 months almost a crawl. I have age, height against me. So I'm happy. I am not a scientist so I can not tell which is better
  • sachmeer
    Options
    Thanks and thats excellent weight loss, I also have age and height against me too :)
  • linux40
    linux40 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Just as impatient as you, I guess ;) but I haven`t tried it though. I think it way hard enough with the 2 fast-days. Have a friend of mine doing 4:3, like you`re thinking of, and she loses weight way faster than I do. I`ve done 5:2 for about 8 weeks now, and have lost 11 lbs. She started same day as me, and she`s lost 16 lbs! Maybe, if you think it will work out ok for you, you could try it out? :) Good luck to you!!
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have the instinct towards impatience, but I know if I drop a ton of weight super fast, it'll just come back that much faster. I'm only looking to use 5:2 to lose the ten-fifteen I put back on when I fell off the wagon, then easing back into a normal, very slow rate of loss for the last ten pounds. Problem is, I'm worried I'm losing too fast with 5:2 as is? I weighed myself in at 190 a couple weeks ago, started watching it and working out a little more, then started 5:2 and now I'm down to 185. 2.5 a week is a lot for me. Just gotta be careful and disciplined, I guess.
  • sachmeer
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, EOD has been tough but Ive enjoyed it this week, Im going to do this for 3 weeks then shift to 4-3, then 5-2 ...
  • naxeea
    naxeea Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    sachmeer wrote: »
    Hi guys, I have just finished my first week, so far so good, am feeling motivated,
    quick question, has anyone tried fasting every other day for a few weeks. I am THE most impatient person and the quicker this weight goes the better, I know steady weightloss is a better result overall !! how much have you lost say over 3 months doing the 5-2 ?

I have tried Fasting every other day and ofcourse it works but at that time I wasn't working.I was home by myself.I was working out.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I've been eating pretty bad this week( cookouts, fish fry, graduation party)
    on my NF days, so planning on a 4:3 this week - just to get my GI track back on track. My gut feels like I've got a lead balloon in it. I always feel so good after a fast day so gonna see how this works. Not planning on doing it every week, but just in instances like this.
  • naxeea
    naxeea Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    kgb6days wrote: »
    I've been eating pretty bad this week( cookouts, fish fry, graduation party)
    on my NF days, so planning on a 4:3 this week - just to get my GI track back on track. My gut feels like I've got a lead balloon in it. I always feel so good after a fast day so gonna see how this works. Not planning on doing it every week, but just in instances like this.
    It's the best way to cause calorie dificit and there's no way it won't work as long you follow the rules.Good luck.Let me know how it goes.:)
  • tashigolean34
    tashigolean34 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I find every other day easier than 5:2. My body just gets in a rhythm of what to expect. If I have big weekend plans I just switch to 4:3 for a week, or if I go home to visit my family for a week, I tend to completely switch it up and do 16:8. It's easier for me to stay on track and get back in to an every other day swing if I continue some form of intermittent fasting regardless of life events lol.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    That's the great thing about IF,si many possibilities. You can tailor it to your needs, Taschi ☺
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Last week I was on 4:3 and it worked great - I dropped 2 lbs and felt like I was back on track. This week I've been on vacation so switched to maintenance (got to be realistic) and feel I've been pretty successful but we'll see what the scales say when I get home. Next week I'm back to 5:2. I love the flexibility of this way of eating. It's something I can live with on a consistent basis.
  • marika116
    marika116 Posts: 8 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi All. I'm wondering whether or not to switch it up a bit too. I've been on 5:2 for about 6 weeks now and even though I have been doing really well and being strict with myself on FD's, I have lost 5 lbs so far. This however seems to be staying put at the mo and not really shifting much. I don't eat too badly on normal days either, I don't really like junk food and I am mindful of the foods I make for myself and my family. The thing is... the scale seems to go up again when I eat normally and then the day after a fast day I'm back down a little but it's not going lower..I'm just stuck! Any ideas? I do feel like I've kind of lost weight around my thighs/bum etc but I'm kinda eager to lose it from my belly as my post baby body is getting me down now. My daughter is now 16 months so I'm thinking my hormones etc should be back in balance by now. I do unfortunately have age against me. I will stick to it but I wonder if I should throw in an extra fast day? What do you all think? Anyone else had similar experience? :)
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Be patient. 5 lb in 6 weeks is very good with 5:2. Weight loss isn't linear. There will be blips. With the fast days weight fluctuations are greater than with daily restriction due to water retention and food in transit etc.

2 questions for you to ask yourself. ..are you doing some kind of exercise? Are you sure your cals on non fast day aren't too high or maybe way too low?

You can try 4:3. Depending on your size and weight, it's an additional 1000 - 2000cal deficit per week. ...1/3-1/2lb more possible weight loss per week.
  • marika116
    Options
    Thanks for your reply flumi_f. Generally I tend not to eat around 2000 calories on non fast days... Its usually less say around 1500. Maybe I need to cut my FD cals to coincide with that or eat 2000 cals and stick with the 500 on FD's? I wouldn't say I'm exactly overweight by a lot and I have noticed that people who have a lot more weight to lose tend to lose a heck of a lot especially at first. I guess I just felt a little stuck though I am still pretty happy with the 5 lb so far! I wasn't exercising much as I wanted to break my body in gently at first. However, I am now spending the summer on top of a beautiful mountain in BC and it's very hilly so today I took advantage,as I am planning to most days, by walking up and down the hills with my little one in her chariot stroller. I am planning to get back into Tae Bo too which I had great results with after I had my first child ( 11 years ago!) lol! Thanks for the feedback. I will krank up the exercise and see how I go!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I think that if you're stalling switching things up a bit often helps for ME. Also comb over your tracking and weighing, ofc. The beauty of IF eating protocols is that they're very flexible. Find patterns that work for YOUR life. You can easily mix and match, reschedule ...as long as you stick to the basic guide of a very low caloric intake on FD and a up days of up to TDEE. Whether that is 5:2 or 4:3 or string 2-3 days together, that's solely up to you. Just remember that easing into things makes most things easier to comply with.

There are different hormonal benefits/adaptations that the body goes through with different hours/days on fasting. BUT, this is optional for those who don't see fasting as just a weight loss tool.

TL;DR Different protocols of lengths and intake/macros on non-FD have different effects for ME. I advise you to adjust expectations for weight loss according to the protocols you follow. Experiment to find your balance.
  • marika116
    Options
    Thanks Foamroller.... I am going to change things up a bit. Lol... Funny enough I stepped on the scale this morning sfter a FD yesterday and I'm 2lbs down... Whether this stays down is another story though! I will look at doing a bit of tweaking. Thanks for your input!