Avacados, tomatoes and eggs, showing carbs in MFP

Options
tishball
tishball Posts: 155 Member
I just logged my lunch and got way more carbs than I thought. I am dissapointed as I thought the food had only trace carbs, this is what I got,
Iceberg lettuce,
5 cherry tomatoes..........4 carbs
Cucumber......................1
sprinonion
celery.............................2
half small Avacado..........6
Egg.................................1
light mayonaise..............1
I was so surprised, I was 15 carbs when I thought perhaps only 5. Could MFP be incorrect on some of these? or am I fooling myself. I thought eggs were 0

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Veggies have carbs. But they are also high in fiber which mitigates the impact of the carbs.
  • tishball
    Options
    I know they have carbs, but didn't realise avacados were so high, and the carb in the egg, that has to be wrong. I am a little over my 30 carbs, and as this is my first week, I will still not suffer too much over it, I hope because last week I would have had a french roll with the salad, so doing without that has to help.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    These are correct. The carbs that are in many foods will surprise you. Sometimes it's best to log before cooking. I've changed a menu for this very reason!
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals based on carbs and pre log them day before. Avocado is my daily staple, all veggies have carbs, I eat them sporadically. I know what my dinner will be pretty much every night, if I want cauliflower or zucchini or any other veggies with my meat then I'll have to plan my morning and day meals based around that. Some mornings I want berries with yogurt so I know it will be carby, so next meals will be adjusted accordingly. I know it sounds like too much work, especial at the beginning, but I've been doing it for almost 4 months and I know what food has what and it's now a second nature :)
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    If you check out your net carbs (carbs minus fiber) I bet it isnt too bad.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Avocado shows 5.2 grams of carbs for half a small one for me (60g). Most of t bring fibre. But yes you have to be very careful with veg and fruits.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Eggs actually do have a bit of naturally occurring sugar, it's meant to help spark the first cell growth if it's fertilized.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are weighing your avocados too, half an avocado.can vary greatly
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    tishball wrote: »
    I know they have carbs, but didn't realise avacados were so high, and the carb in the egg, that has to be wrong. I am a little over my 30 carbs, and as this is my first week, I will still not suffer too much over it, I hope because last week I would have had a french roll with the salad, so doing without that has to help.

Nope, that's all right. Tomatoes are pretty sugary, so the 4g there is about right (if not a little lower than I'd expect). Yes, eggs do have about a gram in them. The mayo has added sugar (I highly recommend learning to make your own so you don't have that issue). The avocado and other vegetables, like nearly all plants, are carb based, so you're probably best off assuming at least some. However, most of those carbs come from fiber across the board. This is why a lot of people on very low carb choose to go with net carbs (total carbs minus fiber).
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

I just looked at my diary from this morning. I use the USDA entries for most of the foods. One whole egg logged as zero carbs and two egg whites only logged as one carb.

Also I bet the regular version of your mayo has less carbs than the "lite" version. Plus it willhave more fats that you need anyway!
  • tishball
    Options
    Thanks folks, it will take me a while to get this in full swing and keep the carbs under 30, I love veg so will just have to work around them. The net carbs is probably also a thing, I wasn't doing that...... so maybe I scraped in under the 50 when I recheck the whole thing. It is great to have the help of you who are at this for a while. The whole 0 carb idea will have me checking out some of your menus to see what it is I can do. I had lite mayo in the house from my cico days, and my husband and kids won't eat it so I was using it up.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    The eggs I buy say half a carb per serving (2 eggs). I hope it's reasonably accurate.
  • Soon2BeMrsSherriff
    Soon2BeMrsSherriff Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I know personally that I was surprised at how much carbs my lettuce mix had in it. However, now that I know I just use smaller portions and do better on my dressing choice. I used to be addicted to blue cheese, and nope I don't have that now, but it is something that I truly don't miss. If I want the taste, I use a few blue cheese crumbles. It helps me
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    Interesting.

I just looked at my diary from this morning. I use the USDA entries for most of the foods. One whole egg logged as zero carbs and two egg whites only logged as one carb.

Also I bet the regular version of your mayo has less carbs than the "lite" version. Plus it willhave more fats that you need anyway!

That's due to the rounding they're allowed to do 0g is almost never truly 0g.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    28fsy4rzi4kt.jpg
    Here's the thing with MFP. Love it, but anyone can enter anything for macros. Most entries are very good, but there can be many different results depending on which entry you choose. Check out my 1 Hard boiled egg entry. Seems like it would be simple? Pick one, anyone. I give myself 10 points here or there either way at the end of the day. Heck, In reality just go with the minority being carbs and sugars, (under 30) the majority being fats and proteins, if I hit that I'm good. Otherwise, I'd drive myself nuts just doing data entry.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    28fsy4rzi4kt.jpg
    Here's the thing with MFP. Love it, but anyone can enter anything for macros. Most entries are very good, but there can be many different results depending on which entry you choose. Check out my 1 Hard boiled egg entry. Seems like it would be simple? Pick one, anyone. I give myself 10 points here or there either way at the end of the day. Heck, In reality just go with the minority being carbs and sugars, (under 30) the majority being fats and proteins, if I hit that I'm good. Otherwise, I'd drive myself nuts just doing data entry.

That's why I go with the verified and USDA entries whenever possible, if I don't enter my own info. Then, I keep reusing those entries from the Recent tab. At least then, my entries will be consistent.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    28fsy4rzi4kt.jpg

That's why I go with the verified and USDA entries whenever possible, if I don't enter my own info. Then, I keep reusing those entries from the Recent tab. At least then, my entries will be consistent.

Sometimes I can scroll the entire list and not find a entry not user-created... How do you specifically find the USDA ones? Do you use that in the search name?

Also, OP, I find that these type of carbs affect me far less than bread/grains, root veggies, fruit, or sugar, so if I go a little over eating these type of veggies, it doesn't bother me as much. YMMV as everyone is different, but something to keep in mind.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    28fsy4rzi4kt.jpg

That's what I do, and I don't sweat the trace amounts I miss. If I'm aiming for < 50 g/day of carbs and my entries add up to 40, then I'm still under 50 if I missed a few carbs.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    28fsy4rzi4kt.jpg

Sometimes I can scroll the entire list and not find a entry not user-created... How do you specifically find the USDA ones? Do you use that in the search name?

Also, OP, I find that these type of carbs affect me far less than bread/grains, root veggies, fruit, or sugar, so if I go a little over eating these type of veggies, it doesn't bother me as much. YMMV as everyone is different, but something to keep in mind.

I type it in the search, just put in USDA
  • Dragonwolf
    edited May 2015
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    28fsy4rzi4kt.jpg

I've learned the pattern for the verified USDA entries. IE:

It's not hamburger, or even ground beef, it's Beef - Ground, 80% lean meat / 20% fat, raw (so, instead of searching "ground beef" or "hamburger," I search "beef - ground 80" or "beef ground 80").

It's not just "paprika," it's "spices, paprika," so I search on "spices paprika."