Caffeine or decaf

Options
marciabwls
marciabwls Posts: 80 Member
I have been watching some documentaries that say NO Caffeine while doing LCHF.... I usually drink 2 reg hot tea for breakfast ...Any input on this?

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I drink decaf only because it's done a huge favor in deducting anxiety. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I drink caffeine and have no problems. I think again that this is one of those areas of personal preference and individual body reactions. Only you can test and find out how your body reacts.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    If I have more than two cups of coffee per day, I retain water. That's the only thing I really see as having an effect on my success (that and the carbs from anything I might dress it up with in the evenings for dessert).

I know some here use caffeine specifically for the diuretic effects, so it really is n=1.
  • batlott
    batlott Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Did the documentaries talk about caffeine causing an increase in cortisol? What reason did they give for avoiding it.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I don't drink much coffee but I don't feel that I have an issue with it. It can help.me get through a tough weightlifting session.
  • marciabwls
    marciabwls Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    "It is mistakenly assumed that coffee is carb-free. However, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which oversees nutrition labeling, allows manufacturers to "round down" and label anything with .9g or less to say 0g. A 6-oz serving of coffee actually has .8g net carbs. Typically a large coffee is anywhere between 16 - 20 oz, so could have close to 3 carbs, before cream or splenda are added." This is a clipping that I found.
    I drink tea instead of coffee... If I don't drink my tea I get a headache plus it gets me going
  • SazzySuze
    SazzySuze Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Definitely caffeinated. Otherwise, what's the point?
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    marciabwls wrote: »
    "It is mistakenly assumed that coffee is carb-free. However, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which oversees nutrition labeling, allows manufacturers to "round down" and label anything with .9g or less to say 0g. A 6-oz serving of coffee actually has .8g net carbs. Typically a large coffee is anywhere between 16 - 20 oz, so could have close to 3 carbs, before cream or splenda are added." This is a clipping that I found.
    I drink tea instead of coffee... If I don't drink my tea I get a headache plus it gets me going

Holy coffee, batman! How big are your coffee mugs in the USA? That is a big coffee to be 20oz at a go.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I drink caffeinated and just stay aware of how much I am drinking. I just leave some room in the carbs.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I drink one or two cans of Diet Mt Dew, but most days it's just one. Caffeine is one thing I'm not looking to cut out of my diet. I need it in the morning to wake up.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I drink fully loaded coffe, 3 cups a day. Coffee is good for you :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea and coffee with the caffeine. Caffeine seems to help with weight loss in my case.
  • iam4life
    iam4life Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    Holy coffee, batman! How big are your coffee mugs in the USA? That is a big coffee to be 20oz at a go.

The bigger, the better! My household regular coffee mugs probably hold 12 oz.,but I do have large mugs, too! When we buy to-go, it's 16-20 oz. Of. Heaven.

One reason why the US is so fantastic.
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking way more coffee lately. After dinner if I'm having a sugar craving a cup of coffee with HWC and SF flavoring usually does the trick.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    marciabwls wrote: »

I don't know where the clipping you found got their data, but it's not the USDA. This is the USDA's site for coffee, brewed with tap water. They have others as well.
    USDA Nutrient Database (Coffee)
    zsvch12sb9q9.png

As you can see, even a gallon of coffee (8 x 16oz cups) has no appreciable carbs. Actually, if we assume the protein and fats are correct, the max carbs in a whole gallon would be 3.24g (based on the calories provided). There is about 13 unaccounted for calories, just looking at the protein and fat. But, they aren't listed under carbs.

In any case, unless you're drinking a gallon of coffee a day and are very close to your carb tolerance limit, I don't think coffee is a huge issue.

Edit: Your instant coffees will have some carbs. But, no person should hate themselves enough to actually drink instant coffee. That stuff is only put on the shelf to identify masochists.
  • danidanibobani
    danidanibobani Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Edit: Your instant coffees will have some carbs. But, no person should hate themselves enough to actually drink instant coffee. That stuff is only put on the shelf to identify masochists.
    [/quote]

Hahaha!