Awesome non NS Recipes!

Options
2»

Replies

• pattyperkins927
    pattyperkins927 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I also have a low glycemic index cookbook - great healthy recipes
    What's the name of your cookbook? I've been looking for a low glycemic one forever!!!!!

I have two GI cookbooks now, although I haven't branched into them much. I'm regretting getting the digital version to be honest, BUT because I did if you happen to have a Nook, I think both of them are "lendme' books. Let me know and you could certainly borrow them and check them out if you'd like. The names of the ones I have are "Glycemic Index Diet and Cookbook" and "500 Low Glycemic Index Recipes".
    I don't have a nook....I'm a kindle girl but I will definitely check out the titles.....when I went searching for low glycemic books all I found were scientific books with very little food or recipe ideas...thanks for the tip!!!! Valerie

I forgot to suggest another avenue also --check out the Marlene Koch books. She has 3 that I am aware of -- Eat What You Love, Eat More What You Love, and Eat What You Love Everyday. It's all low on sugar, low in fat, and low in calories. There are some good things in these books. I haven't cooked out if them alot yet, but the little I have have been really good.
  • Nightingale2200
    Nightingale2200 Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Patty.
  • 1Ginabb
    1Ginabb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have only been on the diet for 6 weeks. I am down 12.8 lbs....but went to a few cook outs this weekend. What I did was; I had the burger patty, and made a salad out of the toppings, minus cheese. I used mustard and ketchup as a dressing and crumbled my burger on top. When we had steaks, I just ate half a steak a small portion of potatoes and filled up on the grilled onions, green pepper and mushroom. At the cookout that served BBQ chicken breast, I got what looked like a 4 oz portion and had the veggies that were served. I still lost this week. I no expert by any means, but I think portion is key.
  • Nightingale2200
    Nightingale2200 Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy, Gina. You did a great job making all of this work for you. And, congrats on the weight loss!
  • evhutchings
    evhutchings Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Patty thanks for the additional books to look for!
  • rlhealey
    rlhealey Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am loving this discussion. I tried the Special K breakfast sandwiches and Skinny Pop popcorn this weekend and found them to be low cal, and tasty! looking forward to trying some more of your suggestions. Still looking for protein powder and Skinny Cow desserts. Thanks!!
  • SillyRabbit65
    SillyRabbit65 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the delay in getting back about the cook books - busy weekend... The Complete Idiots Guide to Glycemic Index Cookbook. I LOVE cookbooks - some of my favorite "diet friendly" cookbooks include: Rocco DeSpirito's books - Now Eat This and Now Eat This Diet, also The Abs Diet, The New Atkins for a new you Cookbook, and Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook.
  • pattyperkins927
    Options
    rlhealey wrote: »
    I am loving this discussion. I tried the Special K breakfast sandwiches and Skinny Pop popcorn this weekend and found them to be low cal, and tasty! looking forward to trying some more of your suggestions. Still looking for protein powder and Skinny Cow desserts. Thanks!!

If you have Bakers/Dillons/Kroger grocery stores in your area, I know they carry the Skinny Cow brand.
  • evhutchings
    evhutchings Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Food lion carries skinny cow here...walgreens carries skinny cow candy....I get my protein powder at Walmart and gnc

• 1Ginabb
    1Ginabb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, has anyone tried 'imitation crab' as a PF. I am looking for a good PF that will satisfy and hold me. The info said only 90cals per 3 'legs' with 0 fat, but only 6 grams of protein. Is this a good option? Has anyone else ate this one as a PF?
  • pattyperkins927
    Options
    alash52 wrote: »
    I like the Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches for dessert.
    I have to second Alash52 about the Skinny Cow desserts. Tried one in comparison to the NS Ice cream sandwich. It's a little bigger, very close to the macros of the NS version, and I think it tastes a little better. And that's not mentioning that it's a little cheaper and available at my grocery store in multiple flavors/varieties :)
  • rlhealey
    rlhealey Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks. They sound soooo good. I can't seem to find them though. We only have Shaws, Hannaford, and Star Market in my area. I'm on a mission now..
  • dreamer4045
    dreamer4045 Posts: 226 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Chicken tenders coated with egg and panko bread crumbs baked in the oven. Fiber one cocolate chip cookies can be used as a smartcarb or a dessert.
  • dreamer4045
    dreamer4045 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I also cook a pork chop in my microwave grill pan and steak on the foreman's grill. You could also do barbecued chicken in the crock pot.
  • pattyperkins927
    Options
    Thanks. They sound soooo good. I can't seem to find them though. We only have Shaws, Hannaford, and Star Market in my area. I'm on a mission now..

Randy -- OK, I went out on Skinnycow.com and tried to use their locator (which is by no means complete because it didn't show the ice cream sandwiches where I bought mine), BUT it does look like other stores like SuperTarget, Walmart, Walgreens, and CVS carry them at some locations. You may want to check any of those out in your area.
  • pattyperkins927
    Options
    Not recipes, but if you are interested in any prepackaged items, the StarKist Original Tuna Salad in the 3 oz pouch for 100 calories seems to be REALLLLLLLY close to the NS Tuna Salad. I also found some Special K Low Fat Granola that is slightly higher in sodium, but gram for gram, pretty darn close to NS Granola as well.