Bypass vs sleeve

Options
dragonflies6
dragonflies6 Posts: 52 Member
Has anyone started out saying they were 100% going to have the sleeve then decided to have the bypass instead? I started out planning to have the sleeve, as well as my husband. We started going to support group and listening to people, seems like most people say that they can still eat quite a bit with the sleeve and that they still crave. People with the bypass say they have no cravings and even a yr out still can't handle larger portions of food. My husband and I both think that with our size and our history of cravings, perhaps the bypass would work better for us. I know that it's up to each individual. I'm just curious. What does make me nervous is, even being obese, there are times I go all day without eating and several ladies post bypass say they have to remind themselves to eat. Do any of you have to set an alarm to remember to eat? I think I will have to just because of my schedule.

Replies

• MissMissie1987
    MissMissie1987 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    HI! I decided to go with the sleeve for several reasons. I work in the health care field and see tons of patients who had the bypass come in for injections, such as iron or vit B. I also was grossed out thinking I have most of my stomach just hanging out not really doing much, still produces stomach acid but not much else....that was odd in my mind. My final reason was because I didn't want anything rerouted, I wanted something that kept things flowing natural, nothing redirected or reattached.
    I am almost 4 months post-op and I do have to remind myself to eat sometimes, because of my work schedule as well. I don't ever get hungry but my stomach doesn't feel good if I haven't eaten in a LONG while. That is why I keep a cheese stick or almonds in my purse, lol
    In my opinion, the "cravings" probably won't go away. I feel it is mainly in your head and like I have read a million times on this site, you had surgery to change your stomach but it didn't change your mind and thought processes. It will be a continual learning experience for anyone, I think there will always be struggles no matter which direction you take.
    Good Luck with choosing, I can imagine it must be hard.
    I wish you well in your weight loss surgery adventure!!
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I picked the sleeve and stuck with it. I'm only 3 months out but I do have to remember to eat because I never feel hungry. I do have head cravings but not physical stomach cravings or even taste cravings (with the exception of diet soda). It's hard to drink enough water so I think that's why my mouth craves soda and juice but I quench it fine with water or milk. I think it comes down to what your cravings are for. My cravings have always been for the feel of a quick, full belly and a blood sugar rush from carbs. I can't really get either of those right now and will likely never get the full belly thing again, so I feel like the sleeve was a good choice. My husband craves food for the taste and he has to work harder with his sleeve because you can taste lots of anything and end up eating too much. More than a year out I'd say he still can't eat a large portion of food, but he can eat a small to normal portion of food at a meal and could easily eat too much by snacking. He wanted (and still wants) a 9-course meal of small bites of fantastically cooked things spread out over a few hours. I wanted 4 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in 10 minutes because I didn't care what I ate as long as there was a lot of it. Now I just don't feel like eating anything at all and have to force it. So I think the type of craving is a big factor in how you react to the sleeve. I'd imagine the same to be true for bypass though.

We both like physical activity and being lighter has made so much more of that possible and more fun, so just getting the initial weight off has allowed us more tools for keeping it off as well. If we hated activity things would be harder. I agree with everything Missie said above about vitamin absorption and having half of your stomach just hanging out. I generally run low on iron anyway and I didn't want to exacerbate that. Plus, it was cheaper to get the sleeve and seemed to have less complications/easier recovery.

I don't think my husband will ever hit and maintain his goal weight, which is about 135. But I think he's ok with that and if he can sit at 160 he'd be happy. The books may call this a 'failure' but I assure you it isn't. I don't know if I'll get to my 'ideal' weight of 150. But I can tell you I'd be very happy at 180 and my success will be based on my numbers and how I feel/live my life than whether or not the literature says I'm still overweight.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I originally wanted the sleeve, but after reading and learning more about how the bypass reduces cravings and rejects sugar I decided on the bypass. I need something that will discourage me from turning back to sweets. I also have a couple of friends who have both had the bypass with terrific results. Having them there for support and their knowledge will be great after surgery. I'm scheduled for June 15th. Oh my - that's in 3 1/2 weeks!! Fortunately I've been too busy to be nervous (yet).
  • lmryoung
    lmryoung Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had the option but chose bypass because I have had acid reflux my whole life and I wanted to make sure I didn't have that post-op. I also like that the bypass is reversible where sleeve isn't. I know it's rare that it would need to be reversed but I still wanted the option.

As for cravings, I've noticed a decrease in sugar cravings and can hardly tolerate a regular Chobani yogurt anymore. I don't like the taste of the 100 calorie Chobani as much but it sits better. I'm only 6 weeks out so I haven't attempted to eat anything fatty yet but it makes me nauseous to think about it. I do experience hunger regularly and don't have to remind myself. These things really are different for everybody and they also change over time. My partner was bypassed 2 years ago and she was very food averse for a while. She was never hungry, the sight of food made her nauseous, etc. she lived on protein shakes and yogurt. But after a year, she could eat most anything. She definitely has cravings (wicked sweet tooth) but she has learned to limit her consumption because of the whole dumping thing.

I worry a little about the malabsorption issue and am frightened of things like osteoporosis (queue another round of calcium chewies), but I have always been good about eating lots of fruits and veggies and taking vitamins so I think that piece will be fine.

Good luck to you!
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I do get reflux with the sleeve and I never did before. Taking a prilosec keeps it at bay very well and in the future I may grow out of having to take that but a refluxy person my have more issues with that.
  • kchaki
    kchaki Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My husband had the sleeve over a year ago. When I started the process last September I had planned on the sleeve. But do to my GERD, or acid reflux disease, our surgeon recommended the RNY for me. I wanted the sleeve because it had been so successful for my husband and for the same reasons that Missie mentioned. I just had my first thorough bloodwork since surgery and all was good, just hope it stays that way!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I chose the sleeve because I felt it was less invasive as far as "rearranging the plumbing", and also because I didn't want to have any malabsorpton issues. I am about 17 months post surgery and I have no problems at all. As far as either surgery reducing cravings and rejecting sugars, I have heard from people who have had both surgeries and some have issues and some don't, some get acid reflux, some don't, some dump, some don't, etc... it's a very individual thing. The hunger came back after about a year. I felt like I would never feel hungry again but trust me, that changes. For a long time, and still to a certain extent, I would eat by schedule to make sure I did eat. Not too many cravings really except I tend to get a little more hungry around my T.O.M. Some people feel you lose more with the bypass, but I have lost over 200 lbs so I think the sleeve has done the trick for me. It's also important to consider your surgeon's advice as to what surgery you should have. I wanted the sleeve and my surgeon supported that. He said that because I was so heavy, that it would not be as tricky to do the sleeve surgery and that if need be I could always revise to the bypass later, but fortunately that won't be necessary :-)
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    I chose the sleeve because I felt it was less invasive as far as "rearranging the plumbing", and also because I didn't want to have any malabsorpton issues

I had the sleeve for these same reasons and my surgeon agreed as I didn't have issues with pre-existing HERD. it's only been about 7weeks since my surgery but. no problems have come up
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I did the same analysis, chose RNYGB because I wanted to be "all in". I'm 7 months post op - the re-engineering aspects seems much less traumatic than I feared. I take all my vitamins as directed and my blood work is perfect across the board. My acid redux is gone. I'm off all my meds. I haven't been hungry, and while I can eat anything I want, what now appeals to me is protein and produce. Carbs leave me feeling yucky (which I'm hoping I can leverage into permanent lifestyle change). No real cravings - but I enjoy food. Instant feedback if I overeat or eat too fast. Gone from 4X to XL/L. I have absolutely no regrets.
  • Cronniss
    Cronniss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hello there!

I'm going on 9 months since my sleeve. I'm very happy with my results. Following all the guidelines set forth I've experienced no problems whatsoever.

I've always been a chocoholic, and I still like chocolate...but I don't have the cravings for it like I used to. In fact, I find that if I feel like having something sweet I'm more likely to have red grapes now than chocolate.

As to my reasons for going with the sleeve vs. the bypass - to be honest, I like food. Yes, that was part of my problem with my weight, but in loosing my weight I've also learned to manage my eating. With the sleeve I'm doing WAY better now. With the bypass I would not be able to have the things that I would want to have, even on a healthy diet. But with the sleeve, I can still have everything I want...just in healthy, limited portions. Plus, I wanted as little removed from my body as possible.
  • chckmeowt
    chckmeowt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My surgeon recommended that if you have a strong sweet tooth, GERD, or insulin resistance PCOS then the RnY would probably be best. Otherwise the sleeve is good option with less side effects.

I'm going with the RnY because I'd rather have those side effects. I want the accountability. My husband had the sleeve and I see how easy it is for him to eat so much of the things that got him overweight in the first place.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I was planning on the sleeve, but due to some damage in my esophagus, my surgeon has insisted on RnY. It will minimize further damage and there's a chance I will need to have my esophagus repaired in the future and they'll use part of my stomach to do that.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,697 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I felt a lot like Missmissie19, afraid of RnY restrictions, very happy with simplicity of sleeve process - still have proper absorption, no excess stomach hanging inside. With sleeve, I lost hunger for first 6-8 months.

At two years out I've lost 175 pounds. My medical center had a really good program that taught us to eat protein vegetables vitamins water and a support group that helped share experiences. MFP tracking and support is also great.

Best wishes.
  • Warhawk79
    Warhawk79 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had RNY 2-10-14 and I am down 164 pounds. Obviously its different for everyone, but since the beginning I have had real hunger, not just head hunger. The operation is a great tool and for me has been very successful. No complications at all. I just find its easier for me to eat every few hours, get my protein in and follow a regular MFP calorie deficit. It is a blessing in that when I do eat, I can't eat a lot. I can see how it would be easy to graze and not lose weight. I also appreciate the fact that my body does not do well with sugar. Having that intolerance is also a great tool. Like an above poster said, if I am going to alter my body I want to be all in. No regrets at all. Follow your plan, take your vitamins.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    My hospital sponsored a seminar where they educated attendees on RNY, sleeve and lapband. I chose sleeve for myself because a) my insurance prefers it, b) we were educated there are less medical side effects (especially when compared to banding), and c) it was, to me, the less invasive procedure since things were not re-routed. On a personal note, I have three people in my family who had RNY about 15 years ago. Of the three, one has maintained her weight loss, one has gained back a little, and the third has gained everything back and then some. I felt that sleeve would give me a longer period of time to retrain my habits so that I wouldn't be like family member #3.

Ultimately, it's a personal choice. There's not really a right or wrong choice - ANY option you choose to help you lose weight is going to make you healthier - it's what's right or wrong for YOU. So I would recommend that you educate yourself on the pros and cons of both options and then decide which one fits your personality and lifestyle best to help you succeed.
  • gaining_while_losing
    gaining_while_losing Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I originally was planning on getting sleeved, but with further research on my part, in addition to discussions with my surgeon, I chose the bypass and I'm very, very, very happy I did. I had my bypass on February 10th of this year, so I will be 16 weeks post-op tomorrow and down 70 pounds as of yesterday. I feel great and find the restrictiveness of the bypass a blessing.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    HI! I decided to go with the sleeve for several reasons. I also was grossed out thinking I have most of my stomach just hanging out not really doing much, still produces stomach acid but not much else....that was odd in my mind. My final reason was because I didn't want anything rerouted, I wanted something that kept things flowing natural, nothing redirected or reattached.

This exactly! The sleeve felt more natural to me. There are pros and cons to each of them. But the lifelong restriction I have with the sleeve and lack of long term medical restrictions (by pass patients can never have certain meds and things like stomach scopes for testing) along with what's above are why I decided to go with the sleeve.

I have 2 sisters and 2 cousins who all have bypass and only one of them has kept her weight off long term. And she's the one who still works her plan and exercises regularly. The other three either never really changed their lifestyle and eating habits or went back to their old way of doing things. Truth is WLS is a tool and you can be successful long or short term with any of the surgeries if you keep using the tool.

• tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I was actually looking into the band, but after doing more research I decided to to go with the sleeve. After talking with my surgeon he agreed too. I'm 6mo out now and I wouldn't change anything.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I chose the sleeve for me because: 1) I didn't want to deal with the possibility of malabsorption of nutrients that I understood was greater in the bypass. 2) I didn't like the idea of re-routing my digestive system. 3) I didn't like the idea of experiencing "dumping". I have a friend who had her bypass closer to 10 yrs ago and she still has issues of dumping if she is not careful. From my understanding, when I had my sleeve done, the part of my stomach that was removed contained the gland that produces the ghrelin, which is the hormone that tells you that you're hungry. I think that helps a lot. Which ever you decide on, I wish you the best. Either way, it is a great tool to help you get your eating/life in control.
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I chose the sleeve, I chose to stick to the diet the Dr provided, I chose to exercise, after sticking to the diet and eliminating addition sugar, I don't get cravings like I used to. When I eat sugarfree things I find now that they are way too sweet, as my tastes have changed. I feel great and have lost 117 pounds since being sleeved on April 17 2014. I have a friend who did the RNY, she lost and regained most of it back. So no surgery will fix you unless you change as it is only a tool to assist you.