Bypass vs sleeve

Options
2»

Replies

• Warhawk79
    Warhawk79 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have noticed some you saying that you know people who have had RNY that have gained the weight back. I don't think these people gained the weight back because they had RNY. I think people generally tend to gain weight back because they are not following their plans. Both RNY and VSG patients can gain weight back. Statistically RNY patients lose a little more and have an easier time keeping it off. Food restriction is similar in both RNY and VSG. The main difference is with RNY you may not absorb as many calories - thats the reason most RNY patients tend to lose a little more. That said, both procedures are wonderful as long as you are willing to put the work in. RNY could lead to malabsorption, VSG can lead to GERD.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Warhawk79 wrote: »
    . That said, both procedures are wonderful as long as you are willing to put the work in.

This! When people have asked me for advice, I always say, follow the plan given to you by your surgeon and his team. Do what you are supposed to do, and you will be successful.

I also think it's super important that whatever surgery you choose, you have to make sure you are using it as a tool and not a crutch. The surgery will not do the work for you.

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I have noticed some you saying that you know people who have had RNY that have gained the weight back. I don't think these people gained the weight back because they had RNY. I think people generally tend to gain weight back because they are not following their plans. Both RNY and VSG patients can gain weight back. Statistically RNY patients lose a little more and have an easier time keeping it off. Food restriction is similar in both RNY and VSG. The main difference is with RNY you may not absorb as many calories - thats the reason most RNY patients tend to lose a little more. That said, both procedures are wonderful as long as you are willing to put the work in. RNY could lead to malabsorption, VSG can lead to GERD.

This is true. My experience with family and friends who have lost only to regain is only with RNY. But again, that is just my experience and doesn't reflect on RNY in and of itself. Either surgery can be sucessful if you follow the plan (food and exercise) for the rest of your life. WLS, any WLS is a tool, pure and simple. Use the tool , take the weight off. Keep using the tool, keep the weight off. Go back to old eating and no exercise habits and you will regain. Doesn't matter which WLS you have, if you don't make a permanent change, you will regain.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve done in April, 2010. In August of that year I began to vomit bile. There was no rhyme or reason for it. Had my gallbladder removed...but continued to throw up bile (never food). I began the journey at 318 and got down to 208, but then started gaining right away. Got back up to 267! Even the surgeon told me that he would just live with it! That's when I changed surgeons! Went through some terrible mental health issues and learned to love myself (sooooo important) and began to lose steadily for the next year, but I was still vomiting. New surgeon converted me to RNY in January, 2015. No more bile, thank goodness!! Weight at time of RNY was 231, but surgeon told me not to expect much weight loss. I assume that the pouch is larger than average due to the previous sleeve staples. I can eat about seven ounces of food now. I have managed to lose weight by staying on a low carb way of eating. I'm now at 199.2, and will continue to lose because I won't be going back to the carbage I used to eat! Plus, I'm ecstatic to finally be in onederland!!

There really isn't any type of food restrictions with the sleeve, so returning to old eating habits was too easy. I love the restriction with the RNY. The potential for dumping has kept me from even wanting to eat something with a lot of sugar in it!

I wish you luck with whatever choice you make! :smiley:
  • dragonflies6
    dragonflies6 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I have researched both procedures. I feel that I am going to go with the bypass. I completely understand that this is a tool and as long as I stick to the lifestyle changes that I am still working on, then I shouldn't have an issue. I do have occasional heartburn. And I hope that I have dumping as a reminder. I currently still have this large stomach that I am trying to put healthy foods in but because of my busy work schedule, I actually do feel real hunger and by that point I want something large and filling which leads to unhealthy cravings. I can say that as long as I continue to eat the healthier foods, if I give in to my cravings, I don't eat as much as I have in the past. So I'm hoping that with continuing with the lifestyle changes, increasing my PA and the restrictiveness of the bypass, I can reach my goals and sustain them.
  • Trayjay33
    Trayjay33 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I have researched both procedures. I feel that I am going to go with the bypass. I completely understand that this is a tool and as long as I stick to the lifestyle changes that I am still working on, then I shouldn't have an issue. I do have occasional heartburn. And I hope that I have dumping as a reminder. I currently still have this large stomach that I am trying to put healthy foods in but because of my busy work schedule, I actually do feel real hunger and by that point I want something large and filling which leads to unhealthy cravings. I can say that as long as I continue to eat the healthier foods, if I give in to my cravings, I don't eat as much as I have in the past. So I'm hoping that with continuing with the lifestyle changes, increasing my PA and the restrictiveness of the bypass, I can reach my goals and sustain them.

I am hoping for success for you on your upcoming surgery. It has done wonders for me as a band to bypass revisionist. My Surgeon would not let me do the sleeve because he felt the issues I had with GERD etc. would not make me successful. I am almost 8 months out and I would not change a thing. I was a stress eater and loved my carbs and sugars. It's A LOT of work but I am close to 100 pounds down since surgery. It's doable if you stick with it and it sounds like you know what you need to have a new lifestyle.
  • Trayjay33
    Trayjay33 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Well said.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Any WLS surgery patient can regain their weight. Some return to eating the old foods tricking themselves into thinking that it's okay since they can't eat much of it. That's when weight is regained. Why would anyone want to return to eating the same foods that brought them to this? I don't!
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I had the lap band in 2012 and just had it removed on Monday and converted to the sleeve instead. They couldn't get my lap band adjusted to where I wasn't throwing up everything and after 6 months, we decided to switch surgeries. I chose the sleeve because I have Celiac and malabsorption is already a problem for me. My surgeon repaired a hiatal hernia when I had my band done and that got rid of my GERD.
  • becky_bclc
    becky_bclc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I chose sleeve because my sister had bypass a few years ago, her bowel was nicked in the surgery so she suffered quite bad complications and within a few years had put all her weight back on and then some. Complications can happen with any surgery, as can regain if not following rules but for me i liked the idea of having a huge part of my stomach removed, not just sat in my body redundant. Also malabsorbsion issues with bypass didn't appeal
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I haven't had my surgery yet, but my mom initially had the lap band and has since revised to the sleeve. She actually has plateaued and wants to revise again to the full bypass, but not sure if her surgeon is going to do it or not.

From what my bariatric team has described, they're seeing a lot of sleeve patients that tend to plateau versus the bypass patients who don't. They also said that the sleeve is more likely to cause reflux issues so might not be a good idea if you already struggle with that.

I personally am doing the bypass since I have a LOT to lose, and want the best chances possible.
  • Gleno97
    Gleno97 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve on May 20/15. I too was worried about the RNY procedure. But which ever one is right for you is your choice. They are both great tools to allow you to reach your weight loss goals. I am doing well after my surgery and I am excited to see what the future brings. Good luck on your journey.