No energy

Options
Itreadlightly
Itreadlightly Posts: 87 Member
What do you all do to keep energy levels up?

Replies

• sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Moving helps. Don't know why, but it does. When I feel lassitude not related to having just done something strenuous, I get up and do something, whether it's dancing to the music on TV commercial, or well, just whatever. ....
    I also now try to eat several small healthy meals per day, using my mother's and younger daughter's example.
    When push comes to shove, I'll have a cup of tea. Caffeine!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options

Are you upping your activities? If you are not eating back the calories, you are not fueling the activity. Something to look at. Most underestimate the calories burned and underestimate the calories in food, not a good combo.
  • Itreadlightly
    Options

Are you upping your activities? If you are not eating back the calories, you are not fueling the activity. Something to look at. Most underestimate the calories burned and underestimate the calories in food, not a good combo.
    I do both of those things (underestimate) I log 35 min when I really do 45-- same w food- log a few less calories than I really have.
  • retirehappy
    Options

I do both of those things (underestimate) I log 35 min when I really do 45-- same w food- log a few less calories than I really have.

So you might want to try fueling your workouts. Eat your exercise calories, all of them and see if you have more energy to do the workouts. If not I suggest you check with dr. to see if something is going on at a deeper level.
    Let's hope not :)
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I agree with eating back at least most of your exercise calories. I also think nutritional balance and even supplements has a lot to do with it. Keeping up an exercise is essential - I find it surprising how much expending energy gives you more energy.

What came to mind first was - making sure hydration is adequate. Often when I feel a slump it turns out I am thirsty.
  • Itreadlightly
    Options
    Thank you-- new resolve- eat my xsize cals and drink more water. :)
  • sharondtd
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Another thought. I discovered if I hadn't eaten before exercise or walk, tiredness set in quickly. So I eat small 30 minutes before and immediately after, choosing what to eat depending whether it's cardio or resistance. Must find the report I saw recently that advised the same thing. It was on a scientifically reliable site. If I do, I'll post the link.
    Here's the link. It's from the NIH. (U.S. federal site. National Institutes of Health)
    well, now I can't post the link. It is just below.
  • sharondtd
    Options
    The link for the Fasted vs. Fed exefcise studies.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21411835
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Sharon, good point about having something to eat before you workout. I like to do a smoothie with protein powder. I also avoid eating carb heavy after working out, it seems to trigger more eating and I am a slug if I have carbs after a good workout.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    If lack of energy is a problem, do see your doctor. Being active helps me be more active, but...you should never ignore a sudden change in energy level. Just to be on the safe side. We are all different and different things may help or harm. There was a time when my lack of energy was caused by an unknown heart condition where exercise was the wrong thing for me. Water helps some people, but we with heart failure have to be careful of our water intakes.
  • DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything said above. Hydration is huge, so it not cutting calories too low. I will toss in two more things. While you are cutting calories are you at least taking a good multivitamin? Look hard at how many fruits and vegetables you are eating. Unbelievably, my brother was started on a statin and never told to take COQ10. When I told him statins drain it from your body and he started it, his exhaustion completely went away. When he told his cardiologist the guy said, oh yea I have heard about that! Research the side effects of every med you may be taking and don't expect that your doctor will tell you. And of course, do have a complete blood panel done!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    CoQ10 is important with statins and also boosts the immune system which for most is desireable. However, if you have autoimmune disease, check. I don't want to boost my immune system. Again, check with doctor and use common sense.
  • mamamiau
    mamamiau Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I had a really strange day yesterday which involved eating snacks instead of lunch and ending up below my goal calories for the day. I was running around taking my sister to some medical tests, helping her grocery shop, etc. When I got home I was so tired I could barely move. So next time we have a day planned like that, more and better protein snacks are coming along!
  • DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I also have the problem with days like that of coming home and caving to too many calories!! As they say in Weight Watchers, failing to plan is planning to fail! You would think I would have that lesson drilled in by now!