keto grease making a mess?? keto cleaning hacks?

Options
2»

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Baking soda and water, if your cooktop can take it. I make a paste of the stuff, scrub, and let it sit for a bit before removing with a wet rag. However note that if you have a gas stove, too much water might lead to some of it leaking down into the [thing that ignites the flame] and fail to ignite the gas - will make a clicking sound in that case. (So be careful with the amount of water, if you use gas.)
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Sajyana wrote: »
    I bought some microfibre cloths. ;)

@Karlottap I have plenty of these too but I didn't know I could use them without chemicals, which I hate the smell of. Thank you for the idea. Busting that layer of grease today!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yea, they are the only thing I use in the kitchen and are wonderful. I can't stand the smell of cleaners! So learning this several years ago has been really good! I keep one wet with hot water to clean with and then dry it with the second dry cloth. Otherwise it will leave water streaks on the glasstop stove and granite.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Dish soap & hot water, I agree with Twibbly, not the cheap stuff. Ajax or Dawn work well. Or an all purpose spray cleaner, or vinegar & water solution.

I use Softscrub on the parts of the burner where things get burned on the gas stove.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Whatever you guys do, do NOT, I repeat DO NOT get one of the glass domes range hoods that are so popular right now.
    OMG that thing is the absolute biggest grease trap in the world.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I like using a microfiber cloth and Dawn to clean the grease; then a dry, clean one to polish the stove, micro, etc.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    We use chlorox spray. Yeah, it's bleach (but we rent 3 rooms in the house to students and well, they don't clean. So we find all kinds of yuck. If it were just the Beast and I it would be microfiber clothes and, when necessary, vinegar. Just wish you could get those microfiber things NOT in fluorescent colors!! We even use them for the mirrors etc. One in each bathroom, just wet it, wipe and poof it's clean. Rinse it out, wash it once a week with the laundry (with NO fabric softener) and you're good!

But as I mentioned for big grease things or mystery stains the kids have left, we use the chlorox spray.

Dishes, we use dawn or sunlight or president's choice. The "good" stuff. We actually don't wash our pan. maybe a few times a year. We have a big cast iron pan. We boil any yuck off and chuck it, and oil if necessary. So dish soap is just for the serving dishes.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    once the kitchens closed

"My kitchen hours are 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Sometimes, if I’m feeling particularly snacky, I even say out loud, “It’s 8:00. Kitchen’s closed."
    http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/10/31/hunger-vs-emotional-appetite/
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: Breakfast meat in small bits into microwavable container covered with plastic wrap; nuke. Add mushrooms; nuke again. Add eggs, cheese & perhaps almond flour; nuke until set. Serve half to spouse, eat half. (It's bad form to lick fat from plastic wrap until spouse leaves for work.) Container into dishwasher, plastic wrap into garbage. What spatter cleanup?

Lunch: usually cold.

Dinner: similar concept to breakfast except done in the oven or on the grill ( often in foil packets). I'm lazy. I avoid grease clean up whenever possible.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    KeithF6250 wrote: »
    Breakfast: Breakfast meat in small bits into microwavable container covered with plastic wrap; nuke. Add mushrooms; nuke again. Add eggs, cheese & perhaps almond flour; nuke until set. Serve half to spouse, eat half. (It's bad form to lick fat from plastic wrap until spouse leaves for work.) Container into dishwasher, plastic wrap into garbage. What spatter cleanup?

Lunch: usually cold.

Dinner: similar concept to breakfast except done in the oven or on the grill ( often in foil packets). I'm lazy. I avoid grease clean up whenever possible.

nice. I like it.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I was just noticing the same thing. My fiance's been eating like this for a while before me, though, and he has a habit of coating the kitchen with his burger patty grease. Our stove hood is the worst - just a cheap recirculator on the bottom of a microwave. We rent. Talk about a nasty trap for grease - you know that microwave is never taken out and cleaned.
    In addition to splatters in the kitchen and a film on ALL my dishes (even though I use Dawn - "the good stuff")...I've inadvertently ruined several t-shirts. :( Ended up with splatters of bacon grease on the front that just won't come out. I've started wearing a bathrobe while I cook breakfast, and am considering investing in a good apron.

We have tons of microfibre cloths for our electronics. I never thought of using them to clean in the kitchen. Fry's has them in giant packs in light blue.

-T.