Struggle to eat my macros in protein

Options
ambsnic17
ambsnic17 Posts: 305 Member
does anyone else struggle to eat all their macros in protein? I have macros set to 40 carb, 30 protein, 30 fat. I've been trying to eat protein with every meal and snack and I still can't seem to get even close. I have my food pretty much logged for the day and I still have 70g of protein left! How is everyone else getting all their protein in?

Had eggs for bfast. Beef tacos for lunch, chicken for dinner, protein bar, almonds...

Replies

• Tipularia
    Tipularia Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Non-fat Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are powerhouse protein packin' foods. Higher fat Greek yogurt is heaven, but you sacrifice protein for fat. You may also want to include a whey protein powder as a supplement.

Sadly, eggs only give you 6 grams of protein each, so you may want a yogurt/whey protein smoothie on those mornings to really pack the protein in (1/2 cup yogurt and one scoop protein powder will give you at least 40 grams of protein).
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Options
    Look for the highest amount of protein for the least calories. For example, one regular container of Dannon Light and Fit Greek yogurt provides 12g of protein for only 80 calories. A Pure Protein bar in the chocolate deluxe flavor provides 21g of protein for 180 calories and is low in fat and very tasty. Start reading labels and select accordingly.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I have mine set for 1 grams per lean body mass and not a set percentage which has made life a lot easier. So I'm trying for around 110 grams of protein which is quite doable on a regular day - if you are eating more than that, it may be too much (as in, you won't be getting any extra benefits from it). I do eat more than that most days (closer to 120) using cottage cheese, tuna fish, something protein powder related and greek yogurt. Protein powder can be snuck into a lot of things easily, especially if you get unflavoured.
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    Thank you for your responses!! MyModernbabylon- I def feel that would make my life a lot easier because I stress not getting the protein in like I know I should. I guess I will have to go with a Dannon yogurt because I just can't hack the Greek yogurt, it's a consistency thing for me. But I could put it in something instead of eating it plain and I wouldn't taste that! I'm broadening my food horizons as I'm sure a lot of people do as they eat healthier and am learning to like cottage cheese with fruit and in things...again a consistency thing, weird, I know!!!! Lol wasn't very big on almonds-walnuts but that's all i snack on now!! I have heard good things about protein powder, but isn't it expensive?? I'm dropping money in baby formula (not a pity party for me) but that's expensive and just a lil strapped. I have even googled/Pinterest high protein and have found somethings helpful, a lot of stuff I already eat. I guess I just have to plan better. I have taken your suggestions with much appreciation!! Thanks for taking the time to respond
  • Tipularia
    Tipularia Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I usually get the best deals on protein powder at Amazon.com. Although, sometimes they run short and then raise the price alarmingly. If you're a good shopper you can find it at around 80 cents/serving(scoop), which is less expensive than a cup serving of name brand yogurt. However, I wouldn't replace whole foods like yogurt with a whey supplement. You'll lose out on all the other good nutrients. Nevertheless whey is a relatively inexpensive, convenient, and versatile (if you get the unflavored kind you can add it to baked goods, pancakes, etc.) way to supplement your diet without having to eat so much meat.

Good luck! It took me a while to get used to eating 170 grams/day (30%), but you can do it with good planning.
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    If it is your goal to really eat more protein, then these guys have some great recommendations for upping your protein!
    However, I would just like to chime in that I'm someone who doesn't pay attention to my macros and I'm still having success. I eat primarily plant proteins & lots of carbs.
    My personal goal is to get at least the minimum recommended RDA amount of protein 0.8g/kg of body weight... So for me thats 55g of protein a day. I usually get between 50 and 100 g per day.
    I personally get overwhelmed with macros & and I just don't think we need as much protein as other people think we need
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    There is very little (if any) evidence that you need more than 1g protein per pound of body weight. I just set my percent to reflect that, usually ends up being 20-25%
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    www.myprotein.com It's in a lot of different countries, is good protein and not super expensive.
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    Mandaleigh123- I'm with you there, overwhelmed with tracking the macros. I mean I used to eats tons and tons and tons of carbs and not pay attention. I try to watch them and sugar because diabetes run in my family BIG time and I want to beat the "trend". Trying to get back into the swing of things after having my second baby two months ago. Before I lost 40 pounds (after my first) "low cal" (1700ish cal) and since returning have stumbled across this group which has been helpful. But it's easy to fall into saying (like everyone else) "what am I doing wrong?!" I was given advice before from fellow mfp's that I needed to eat more protein, so that's what I thought I was doing wrong.
    Thanks bonniejo for your response, I am sure that will be a lot easier for me to hit!!
  • MandaLeigh123
    Options
    It's really easy on the message boards to start analyzing every single detail of your diet and it can really be overwhelming. I think if you have a history of diabetes in your family, it probably is a good idea to keep your carbs in check but I wouldn't get crazy about it. If you aren't a vegetarian (I am) it's much easier to increase protein without increasing carbs. For me usually when I increase protein I also increase carbs because I get a lot of my protein from beans/seeds which have carbs :-) if you're eating things like dairy and meat, it would be easy just to add in some string cheese here or there Greek yogurt... Things like that. Add some extra slices of deli meat to your sandwich. Maybe just add in a couple of high-protein snacks a day rather than trying to overhaul every single meal? You'll hear over and over and over protein protein protein! As a vegetarian, the conversations just get so old after a while… but you do need to have protein in your diet to build muscle! Protein also helps with healing wounds and if you're injured.
    But my level of protein is considered to many people here on my fitness pal and I'm still seeing gains in my strength training. I do what I consider heavy lifting! I don't lift as heavy as some people here but my benches are increasing and I can do calf presses are heavier than any of the men at my gym!
    Before I the de-loaded to start to work on my form (then a subsequent injury due to my chronic joints )I was squatting just over 200 pounds.
    My mother-in-law law is a professor and researcher and has a PhD in sports nutrition and I talked to her a lot about protein back in March. Also recommended .8 g per kilogram and if actively strength training from 1.5 g per kilogram of body weight. So for me 55g-110g. She also said if you are going into caloric deficit it's a good time to increase your protein but that would still be within the 55 g to 110 g (For a 150lb person), it isn't anything too crazy!
  • ambsnic17
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I do try to fit protein in where I can that's for sure; beans, meat, cheese, eggs, etc. I understand protein helps with heavy lifting, however I'm not doing that. But I do want to build muscle along the way so hence why I'm asking about protein
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    I'm doing Jillian Michaels body revolution work out right now which incorporates some weightlifting type exercises however it's not heavy lifting by any means!! so I'll just have to keep incorporating protein wherever I can and try not to stress about it!
  • MandaLeigh123
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ambsnic17 wrote: »
    so I'll just have to keep incorporating protein wherever I can and try not to stress about it!

Good idea! :)
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Instead of using percentages, first calculate how many grams you actually need. For example .8 grams of protein and .4 grams of fat per pound of body weight and allocate the rest to carbs. Once you have the number of grams for each macro, you can calculate your correct percentages.

Also if you are just starting, don't sweat the details. Make small sustainable changes over time.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I'm also set to 30% protein, I rarely make it but trying to get there, gets me closer most days than it had been the otherway. So I'm sticking to 40c/30p/30f. Before I was no where near the .8g/1lb marker, now I at least get close to it. I do some smoothies with protein powder, lots of chicken, bison, lamb, and eggs. Also walnuts, they have both the fats and protein.
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    Retirehappy-i have been eating more nuts, more so almonds and walnuts on salads and as a snack. They are delish!!! Trying to incorporate protein as much as possible but stressing about it isn't helping me, lol. Thanks for your response!!! Glad you are closer in that area than what you were before.
  • MandaLeigh123
    Options
    @retirehappy : the RDA recommended amount is 0.8g per kilogram not per pound. So 0.8g protein per 2.2 lbs. You seem to be on top of things so you probably already realize that, but I'm just clarifying :smiley:

And aren't seeds and nuts awesome? I love them on salads too!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The need for protein when lifting is also exaggerated many times.

Higher protein actually helps out more in a diet retaining muscle - then helping to build muscle eating at maintenance or surplus.
    That megagainer powder bulkers use is more than just protein, it's just a ton of calories.

I think the 0.8 g per lb is from that other study link as failsafe max, more not needed to help retain muscle, but if your liver and bank account and sanity on logging can take it - won't hurt.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Oh I did mean per kg. not per lb. I know some sites recommend the per lb. but I am just trying to retain muscle. I have lost it before when losing and don't want to go down that path again. But even at that level I find it hard to reach the 30% level, but I get close several days of the week. I am not trying to stress myself out about it, just know I need it and so I try to reach it.

Manda, yeah, seeds and nuts are awesome.
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    There are many great sources of protein out there. Lean meats, poultry, pork, fish, canned fish, dark leafy veg, beans and legumes, dairy sources, eggs. When I'm planning my meals, usually 3 main meals and 2-3 smaller meals I try to divide my number of grams into those meals evenly. So I aim for 20-30 g per each main meal, 10-20 g for each smaller meal. My trainer suggested I plan all my meals ahead and plug in all protein sources first, then all fat sources get added and finally carbs. It really helped me to be consistent. So I am getTing approx. 75 g for the three larger meals and 45 g for the smaller meals, so that's 120 g for the day. Good luck.