Feeling low, all I want to do is eat :(

Options
1981donna
1981donna Posts: 1 Member
Hello everyone, this is my first time in asking for help and or advice in what i'm going through. Took me for ever to write this, even though it ain't that long. I suffer with depression, been on and off anti-depressants for the last 8 years, at the moment i'm off them, (don't want to spend my life on them). Anyway, when i'm at my lowest all i want to do is eat cry eat shout eat cry and eat some more. Has anyone got any tips to help me get through this bad time of mine. motivation tips would be helpful too and healthy food instead of crisps, which is what i normally eat when feeling like this. Not felt this low in 3 weeks, ever since i started having smoothies once a day, but even that isn't helping any more, even though i am pushing myself to carry on with the smoothies. I just feel like giving up on trying to be a healthy weight :(

Replies

• baroquepop
    baroquepop Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    1981donna wrote: »
    Hello everyone, this is my first time in asking for help and or advice in what i'm going through. Took me for ever to write this, even though it ain't that long. I suffer with depression, been on and off anti-depressants for the last 8 years, at the moment i'm off them, (don't want to spend my life on them). Anyway, when i'm at my lowest all i want to do is eat cry eat shout eat cry and eat some more. Has anyone got any tips to help me get through this bad time of mine. motivation tips would be helpful too and healthy food instead of crisps, which is what i normally eat when feeling like this.

I see you wrote yesterday & haven't had a response which makes me think this group isn't too active. I'm new to MFP groups so it could be about right. But I'm sorry to hear you're struggling. I can relate to feeling off track.

Much of what I'd say for tips that work like regular balanced meals or the power of food, especially carbs or protein on your mood you probably know.

Recently, I've read and focused on self-compassion, including listening to free online audios by several people like Germer, Neff or Gilbert and I think it's powerful. It helps me to reframe my outlook and practice loving kindness for me, which is slowly helping. There's also eating and self compassion support folks.

Take steps to support you & pick up your mood everyday. We can be pretty neglectful to ourselves often. Make a list of favorite happy times to choose an activity a day with the intention to care for you, if it's only to listen to one favorite song, or each day write positively what motivates you. Take care of you.

Keep in touch!

• rebekahzinn1
    rebekahzinn1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I've been there, with both depression and emotional and binge eating related to my depression. There is no magic bullet. It takes time, a lot of effort, and a big support network. I learned over time that my overeating was feeding my depression. I would especially feel worse when I ate lots of sweets and other carbs. Not that they are "bad," but they cause a blood sugar spike and drop that ends up making a person feel very low. It also makes you feel numb, which is the reason I binge ate in the first place. Numb felt better than crummy.

I focused on eating lots of protein and less sugar to stabilize my blood sugar. That helped me get out of depression enough that I could get on a better track. But I also worked with a counselor, excersized every day (even if walking slowly for 10 minutes twice a day), tried meds, and had a lot of other things to help with my mood. Dieting is stressful, and it may not be the right time for you to try to lose weight. But good nutrition is really important for your mood and it might help you to think about how to eat better for your mental well-being, whether you are working on losing weight or not.

I also had to learn how to respond to my emotions with things other than food. Susan Albers has great books on what to do instead of eating in response to emotions. One by one, you can build up a great toolbox that works better than food.
  • rebekahzinn1
    rebekahzinn1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    baroquepop wrote: »
    1981donna wrote: »
    Recently, I've read and focused on self-compassion, including listening to free online audios by several people like Germer, Neff or Gilbert and I think it's powerful. It helps me to reframe my outlook and practice loving kindness for me, which is slowly helping. There's also eating and self compassion support folks.

Thanks for these suggestions. I'm going to try them!
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    @1981donna:

I hope that you've been successful, since this post!

Sometimes I look on pinterest for quotes.. whether they are motivational, inspirational, happy, sad (sometimes the sad help with the feelings and clears them), song lyrics, etc. Also, I listen to music on youtube.. while at work: happy songs, empowering songs, uplifting songs, etc... again, sometimes the sad songs just to clear the mood right then and there. Going for a walk, going to the gym, talking to a friend, going for a drive, etc. Those also help. Sometimes i'll watch a show or clean. These also help keep my mind off of wanting to eat or go get bad food (fast food... I call it bad, because it's so good yet so bad for you). Also, I did start seeing a counselor and that has helped a lot. I have anxiety ontop of depression.

I'm learning to not be so hard on myself (and it's a hard habit to break!!!) and it is possible! You just have to start. I have more bad days than good days, but i'm getting there.

Maybe you can just track your foods. Then after a week, change what you have for breakfast or have less for dinner. Drink more water. Swap out "sweets" for "better sweets". That way you're still satisfying the craving, but not feeling guilty.

Just a few things that have helped me. You can do this! Just take it day by day.