Are macadamia nuts the perfect food?

Options
SlimBride2Be
SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
Just curious so I looked up the info. 100g is 740 cals, 74g fat and 14g carbs. I don't eat them that often as they don't give many calories per serving but I'm definitely going to up my consumption! Basically they are temperature stable fat bombs!!

Replies

• 35in90
    35in90 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    and also......delicious......
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    yes they are! sometimes I have macadamia nuts if I haven't planned lunch and get stuck or I'm out and about. I'm planning to take a few packs on holiday in a month in case I get stuck with high carb options when eating out.

My (UK supermarket) pack of 100g macadamia nuts say they are only 5.2g carbs which makes them even better. I don't think I could fit them in if they were a lot higher. Sometimes I think that if you believe something your body believes it too (some evidence for this in exercise etc), so I am going to keep on believing that Tesco's has it right!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I personally think black soy beans are the perfect food. 120 calories, 6 grams of fat, 8 carbs, 7 fibers, 11 proteins and tons of vitamins. I know, not everyone is me. :) But 8 carbs/7 fibers plus fat and protein of nutty nummyness? Heaven.

PS: macadamia nuts are amazing.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    When I worked the RenFaire as wasn't sure if I was going to get to eat much, I packed Macadamia Nuts each day. I swear they are what got me through. I think the 14g number may be total carbs, counting fiber, whereas the 5.2 grams is without it? But I think 4 grams per ounce was about what I remembered...

@Sabine_Stroehm I wish I could try the soy black beans, but SOY and I are not on good terms... It messes up my hormones and my digestion...
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Macadamia nuts and pickle juice. ;)
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    That's almost my diet! Eggs, macadamia nuts, pickles, and toasted coconut flakes. (Oh, and blueberries and chocolate for dessert).
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm toasted coconut flakes...must get some of those! Are you vegetarian @wabmester ?
  • wabmester
    edited June 2015
    Options
    No, I eat plenty of meat, but those are my staples. It would be interesting to try an egg-fish-veggie keto diet, though. In theory, you'd get all the benefits without the danger of an LDL spike.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    They smell like farts to me. I prefer almonds TBH
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Macadamias are delicious. My son has discovered them too.
  • bmonahan115
    bmonahan115 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love them but the price doesn't like me, so Brazil Nuts are the happy resolution for my household!
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Bgoff115 wrote: »
    I love them but the price doesn't like me, so Brazil Nuts are the happy resolution for my household!

I hope you are careful with how many you eat.
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/selenium-brazil-nuts-8035.html
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    They would be the absolute perfect food if they were reasonably priced. I wanted to get some for when I have scheduled 18 hour days during my fair, but any decent amount of them is crazy expensive!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Be careful, too, because like something around 75% of the world is allergic to or develops allergies to Brazil Nuts!
  • wabmester
    Options
    The price is high, but I can't eat as many macs as I can, say, almonds. The price per calorie is probably about the same for the two.

Costco has macadamia nuts for about 1/2 the price of other places.
  • bmonahan115
    bmonahan115 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    @greenautumn17 @KnitOrMiss thank you for your concern but thats the exact reason I eat them as a supplement that also happens to have a nice fat profile :D I am not allergic or I def wouldn't ingest them!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @greenautumn17 @KnitOrMiss thank you for your concern but thats the exact reason I eat them as a supplement that also happens to have a nice fat profile :D I am not allergic or I def wouldn't ingest them!

Do you roast them? I bought some "raw" ones in shells (and hazelnuts, too), but I'm having a hard time with getting them out of the shells (dunno if they're just old or what), but I've never had that problem before. Was debating roasting some to see about improving that! Suggestions? Do you roast in shell or out of shell?
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I prefer mac nut oil (awesome to add to fat bomb drinks) and the VERY occasional mac nut butter. Not a huge fan of the nuts, and the carbs are actually pretty high for me. I have a daily limit of about 16g carbs. A serving would likely do me in. :/

-T.