How much is too much?

Options
momkas
momkas Posts: 22 Member
I had surgery on December 29th and am 2 lbs away from goal. Nutritionist and dr have "reprimanded" me for doing too much. Evidently, I have traded food for exercise. I know it's been fast, but I don't see what everyone else sees. My husband has told me I'm skin and bones and my teenage kids have made a comment or two.

I haven't been to the gym in over a week, but have continued to exceed my step goal. My hair is falling out majorly right now, so I just cut off 5 inches. I know I need to up my protein by another 20grams or so.

I lost the battle with myself while camping with my family. I ate junk after junk. All the while hearing it's okay because you're on vacation or one weekend won't kill you.

Today I saw the real me in the mirror. My eyes somewhat sunk in, new laugh "crevices " because of the extra skin and huge dark circles under my eyes. My shoulders are boney, yet my gut is bloated from sugar intake.

I know what I need to do. I'm just feeling a little beat down and sorry for myself. My biggest battle is the craving to smoke again. I quit before surgery and never really had an issue with it until about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I won't do it, but I think about it a lot lately. Sorry about the rant. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• nowucme
    nowucme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Please don't start smoking again. Maybe the cravings are a result of too low protein. Are you getting enough water ? They say if we were compulsive eaters then sometimes we transfer those addictive tendencies to trying to get too much exercise or trying to get too thin. Since you have basically met goal look into a maintenance diet of healthy high protein food. And take your vitamins. Did you try biotin for your hair ? Many swear by it.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You are the definition of "skinny fat" - bony face shoulders and arms, flat butt, but fat in the "trunk" area (stomach, back, hips). This is from losing too fast - meaning you lost too much muscle. When people say they want to lose "weight" they mean "fat", but you always lose muscle too - that is why protein and exercise (specifically weight bearing/resistance) is so important - to preserve as much muscle as possible while losing as much fat as possible.

Muscle is what gives your body shape - curvy arms, healthy face, etc. It also burns fat (stomach, back, etc). It gives your butt a round look instead of flat (butt is a muscle too).

Swap out half your cardio for a good weight lifting routine, double the protein you are currently getting, and INCREASE your calories (muscle needs feul) slowly over time. You will NOT gain weight if you are still active and muscle will require a higher base calorie to maintain.

Get a DEXA scan or other body fat estimation and make your goal to change that percent instead of lose weight. Gaining a few pounds of muscle is a GOOD thing, and monitoring your body fat as a percentage is way more important than the actual weight. I look better *and wear a smaller size* at 135 pounds and 20% body fat than I ever did at 130 pounds and 30% body fat. The number on the scale is completely irrelevant - body fat % and size of clothing should be all you care about.

Change your priorities from being "skinny" and "losing weight" to being "healthy" and "losing fat/gaining muscle". It can take a long time, so have other goals (lifting a certain weight, running a 5k, hiking 10 miles, doing a pullup, etc).

And give yourself a break... Your body continues to change and "catch up" for months after major weight loss even after your weight stops dropping. Make sure you are getting enough vitamins and fat (fat is very important for hair and skin!!!) and of course protein - your face and hair and nails and skin will thank you, and over time you will start looking more healthy.
  • momkas
    Options
    I started taking biotin about three weeks ago. Maybe it just takes time to start helping. I do believe my biggest issues are lack of water and not enough protein. They want me eating every 2-3 hours because I'm not eating enough at a time, but I'm just not hungry. I do eat, I force it. It's like my mind knows what to do, but my body says no.
  • momkas
    Options
    Thank you aylajane. You're right!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    OK, sounds like you know what the problems are and what you need to do. Up protein and water and moderate your exercise, maybe add some strength training to rebuild muscle. Most of us have addictive personalities and when we have WLS, the addiction can transfer to something else, in your case exercise. Also, the more protein you get the less hair you will lose.

No beating yourself up! Not allowed. However, if you start smoking again, several of us on here will come help you beat on yourself! :)
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Here is what I found out with my hair: I was getting the protein I needed and it still fell out-- A Lot. The Biotin or one of the other supplements for hair loss may help, but don't expect great miracles. This is a side effect of any major surgery and also of quick weight loss. I am now 6 mos post and my hair loss has slowed almost back to normal daily loss. I just figure far better to have really thin hair for awhile than to still be overweight and in bad health. The worst thing you can do is to start smoking again. Find something else to do with yourself when you are having a craving. If you really need a snack, try a carrot stick or a cup of popcorn that will give you some crunch in your mouth. You can do this. :)
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I lose slow and at 6 months out I had lost about 65 pounds, My goal from Dr. was to get to 195 and I was almost there so he moved it to 180, well now I am 150 and 14 months out. Hair fell out some but now it is fine and thickening up again, I exercise quite a bit too, but I stay away from sugar due to inflammation. So did you lose too fast? IDK, you are right on if this is your goal. At 6 months my weight loss slowed down to 8 pounds a month, and now at about 5 a month. Don't start smoking again.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    momkas wrote: »
    I started taking biotin about three weeks ago. Maybe it just takes time to start helping. I do believe my biggest issues are lack of water and not enough protein. They want me eating every 2-3 hours because I'm not eating enough at a time, but I'm just not hungry. I do eat, I force it. It's like my mind knows what to do, but my body says no.

You go to work without thinking about whether you feel like it that day right? Eating is your job - your body needs a certain number of calories a day, regardless of whether you feel like eating or not. Suck it up :) literally.

Make a food plan the day before of what you are going to eat at what times. The next day, follow it. No thinking allowed. Just eat when the time comes. If you physically cannot eat what you planned, plan differently. There are ways to shove more calories/protein into smaller packages. I can take a 5oz greek yogurt and make it have anywhere from 80 calories to 200 calories, from 12g protein to 36g protein - WITHOUT changing the volume more than half an ounce. Add protein powder, protein crunchies, flax, etc. Buy the full fat version isntead of the fat free version. I decide how many calories and protein I need that meal to have and tailor it to fit. There are lots of other ways to do so (full fat milk instead of skim milk, etc). So no excuses that your stomach is too tiny :)

This is your life/health. Take it seriously! You would get fired if you skimped on your real job like that. This is way more important.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    You have gotten a lot of good advice about the weight related stuff-- I wanted to address smoking. I found myself smoking a lot more when I was losing as a way to avoid eating. I really struggled when trying to quit-- if you do decide to "pick up" again- I recommend vaping. I have not smoked a cigarette in over a month since I switched to vaping and I absolutely love it. If you choose to vape, I recommend finding a vape shop near you so you can learn about the various types of vapes and juice and such. I DO NOT recommend using the cheap stuff you can get at convenience stores. It tastes nasty and is poor quality. Best of luck to you. :)
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    If you are close to goal and exercising the way you say, then you really need to focus on getting enough calories. You need to make sure you are getting plenty of water and protein. You should consider trading out some of that cardio for weight lifting. You need to build muscle and you need calories and protein for that. Eat at scheduled times even if you aren't hungry. Please don't start smoking it is so hard to quit. You seem to have an addictive personality (which isn't unusual) and trade off one habit for another. I would suggest seeing a counselor to work on that.
  • jove102
    jove102 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    With any supplement you are taking your body uses it where it needs it first...biotin is part of b vitamins and since your not consuming the same things you were before your body will use it where it sees fit first then go to your hair...it will take a but but it will work
  • momkas
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sorry I'm just now able to respond, I took my daughter camping. I am pleased to say, I did not smoke. I've been having some massive cravings though. I have had a lot of junk food and I don't like the way it made me feel. I'm ready to get back to my reality. Thank you all so much for the advice and support. It really does help to hear it from those that know what you're going through.
  • leraejoy
    leraejoy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    momkas wrote: »
    I had surgery on December 29th and am 2 lbs away from goal. Nutritionist and dr have "reprimanded" me for doing too much. Evidently, I have traded food for exercise. I know it's been fast, but I don't see what everyone else sees. My husband has told me I'm skin and bones and my teenage kids have made a comment or two.

I haven't been to the gym in over a week, but have continued to exceed my step goal. My hair is falling out majorly right now, so I just cut off 5 inches. I know I need to up my protein by another 20grams or so.

I lost the battle with myself while camping with my family. I ate junk after junk. All the while hearing it's okay because you're on vacation or one weekend won't kill you.

Today I saw the real me in the mirror. My eyes somewhat sunk in, new laugh "crevices " because of the extra skin and huge dark circles under my eyes. My shoulders are boney, yet my gut is bloated from sugar intake.

I know what I need to do. I'm just feeling a little beat down and sorry for myself. My biggest battle is the craving to smoke again. I quit before surgery and never really had an issue with it until about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I won't do it, but I think about it a lot lately. Sorry about the rant. Thanks for listening.

• leraejoy
    leraejoy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Have you tried adding chocolate protein in milk one scoop is 20 in protein. It also helps with the sweet tooth cravings