Krav Maga & other martial arts

Options
KravMark
KravMark Posts: 308 Member
Hey guys I just wanted to introduce myself! My name is Mark and Ive been studying martial arts for about 20 yrs. I have a school in New York and we do Krav Maga, Wing Chun, iloveKickboxing.com and Muay Thai.

Finding MFP has been a turning point for me because Ive decided that I need to be in better shape as an instructor. feel free to add me to your friends list as I am just getting rolling with this program.

Train Hard
Mark

www.apleatrainingacademy.com

Replies

• Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group, Mark!

I've always wanted to try Krav Maga. It looks like a real intense fighting system.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I <3 Krav Maga! The only problem is that I can't watch Olympic judo anymore. I spend too much time wondering why they aren't doing groin strikes and punching each other in the face . . . .
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Bathsheba, I do taekwondo, and I was like that after the new Batman movie- too much punching, not enough kicking!
  • KravMark
    Options
    Bathsheba,

totally relate! once you start thinking like a Kravist or Reality Based Fighter its hard to stop. There's actually a couple from my neighborhood who are on the olympic judo team.. Pretty cool actually but I dont think id ever do it.

As for TKD I totally respect that art.. I studied Wing Chun for about 20 yr and watched a 10 yr student get knocked out cold by a TKD guy's roundkick to the head.. After he woke up he was like "Did I win" over and over again and I was like " no man" lol

Every style has its place its all about what objectives you are trying to accomplish. Im so excited to find fellow martial artists on here.

BTW cant wait for the new Bourne movie, Im sure there will be some good fight scenes in that.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    The nearest Krav Maga and Wing Chun schools are both about a 45 minute drive for me, but one of these days, I'd love to check them both out.
  • KravMark
    Options
    I have to say I think you'd like them both. If your ever in my area make sure you stop by for a free class!!
  • ChasingStarlight
    Options
    I don't know about other TKD schools, but mine incorporates street fighting as part of the syllabus. So they teach the technical stuff for grading, but they will also teach how to use that along with groin kicks, eye gouges etc in a street situation, with a knife attack or something. Don't know how good it is (and hope I never find out), but I like that they try to make it practical rather than just technical.

Mark, it is cool you know some olympic competitors. The head of my school coached a TKD gold medallist in the Sydney olympics.

At work today (I work in an office), they were discussing how all employees have to complete these personal safety plans (ie don't get RSI or fall down the stairs or something). I was sitting there with my cut nose and my head killing me thinking it is hilarious that I have to do a safety plan in an environment which is pretty much entirely safe, and then 3 nights a week I am out kicking and punching and wrestling!
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I don't know about other TKD schools, but mine incorporates street fighting as part of the syllabus. So they teach the technical stuff for grading, but they will also teach how to use that along with groin kicks, eye gouges etc in a street situation, with a knife attack or something. Don't know how good it is (and hope I never find out), but I like that they try to make it practical rather than just technical.

My school incorporates self-defense as part of the curriculum. We do wrist grabs, single and double lapel techniques, which are similar to the techniques used in Combat Hapkido, which we have at our school as well. I'm actually glad that the self-defense is taught to us instead of us just learining how to do just kicks and punches.
  • JBuck1914
    JBuck1914 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone,

I saw Krav and that I would check out this post. I've took Aikido as a teenager but, I started training in Krav Maga a few years ago and I can't say enough about that system. Krav is by far in my experience the most pratical and physically challenging art I've taken. I really enjoy training in Krav.

I also, enjoyed Hapkido as well which I felt was a very well rounded art too. Cover all the ranges, standing, ground and even controlling your attacker.

Glad, I found this group.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Hi, mrbuckines. I was actually thinking that, after a few years, I might consider adding Aikido to my practice routine. Just because it sounds about as opposite to krav maga as possible.
  • JBuck1914
    Options
    Hey Bathseba_c, it is a big difference from Krav. I actually think it helped me with Krav though because when you learn how to break your fall and a lot of the wrist control stuff is all done in Aikido so, breaking from someone's wrist control was something I learned years ago in Aikido. Plus, you learn how to control your attacker without hurting them if necessary. For example, I enjoyed Krav but, it's so intense and you are always at a 10 which in life or death situations I understand you need to be at a 10 but, what if you are just trying to restrain someone not hurt or injure them that's where Aikido is superior plus, you acutally learn the basics of the ground game from a controlling stand point. It's not a technical as BJJ but, a person verse in Aikido won't freak out if they are on the ground and have to defend themselves because they can acutally institute a number of locks and chokes from any position ground or otherwise.
  • JBuck1914
    Options
    The only thing I will say I didn't care for as much in Aikido was there was no striking and I just felt like that was the missing piece which is probably why I like taking Hapkido so much because it gave you the best of both worlds. The tools to control your attacker (passively) and it also provides you the (aggressive) tools if you needed to finish your attacker. Just my two cents.

Plus, it covered grappling as well. That's why I enjoyed Hapkido so, much it covered all ranges to me.

Krav is just plain, simple and effective so, I think it's great for 80% of people. The other 20% probably won't be able to keep up with the pace of Krav training. Very physical and cardio intense.
  • NewMeNext30
    NewMeNext30 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone..I am new to MFP and also new to martial arts. So new, that I am still deciding which I want to persue. I have been doing kickboxing at a studio for about 8 months. I am interested in starting a martial arts program and am interested in Muay Thai and Krav Maga...any thoughts or suggestions on which one I should look into. My goals are increased fitness and to start a routine that I can sustain long term. Any opinions welcome...
  • CallMePat
    CallMePat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone..I am new to MFP and also new to martial arts. So new, that I am still deciding which I want to persue. I have been doing kickboxing at a studio for about 8 months. I am interested in starting a martial arts program and am interested in Muay Thai and Krav Maga...any thoughts or suggestions on which one I should look into. My goals are increased fitness and to start a routine that I can sustain long term. Any opinions welcome...

I really believe for the most part its not the style you practice that matters; its 1. The School you attend and 2. The effort you put into.
    As long as you find a quality school to go to and put the effort in, you will see a big change in very quickly.
  • ChasingStarlight
    Options
    I do tkd and don't really know much about other styles. Maybe do a few intro sessions at different places until you find a style you like at a good school. I like tkd as I like kicking and punching more than wrestling.
  • KravMark
    Options
    I agree w pat it's all about the school and the work you put in! As for Krav that is more focused on self defense though fitness plays a big role. I also agree that trying out a few free intros is a great way to canvas the area and see what you want to do

Mark
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    I've just started doing Hapkido. Never done any form of MA ever. Struggling with the rolls at the moment. Need to go buy some thick gym mats and practice at home ;)
  • ChasingStarlight
    Options
    Welcome! Hey I did the city2surf on sunday too. Didn't see you there! How many days do you run/ do ma? I am running 4 ma 3, makes things busy!

Try not be be scared, so you aren't stiff. Easy for me to say, I am 5'2 so close to the ground.
  • Rokwell
    Rokwell Posts: 143
    Options
    Welcome Mark. I instruct Krav Maga as well. Not too many of us out there but we're growing..lol.
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    Welcome! Hey I did the city2surf on sunday too. Didn't see you there! How many days do you run/ do ma? I am running 4 ma 3, makes things busy!

Try not be be scared, so you aren't stiff. Easy for me to say, I am 5'2 so close to the ground.

Thanks. Yea I really enjoyed my first attempt at it. Not bad time either at 1:30:48 ;) I do weight training at the gym 4 days per week and do HIIT on treadmill or elliptical or rower every other day. I try to fit in a 10km run at least once per week.

As for MA. I just dont know if its for me frankly. I kinda like my personal space and so I'm finding the whole in ya face thing a bit awkward to say the least. I do want to learn a MA but need to get my head around this. Also, the instruction doesnt seem to be all that personal. Is this normal?