How important is being active with MFP friends & forums to your fitness?

Options

Replies

• nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I think we tend to avoid inane chit chat here. At least we're not rating each other's appeal to kiss, date, marry or pass!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    lol, funny nikki, I thought I was the only one that wasn't dying to rate somebody's looks.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I'm curious if any of you have MFP virtual friends, that you truly feel have become 'true friends' ?
    I've been on for over 10 months now. I have several friends that I've been talking with several times a week for many months and I've really gotten to know them, however at the same time we have never met in person.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The more time I spend on the site the better I do. I can't say that I have made any friends that I converse with on a regular basis, but that's probably because I don't really put myself out there. I do enjoy lurking on the boards as I find them equally entertaining, informative and sometimes downright frustrating. Lately there have been so many "how fast can I lose, how much weight can I drop quickly" etc threads, I just have to shake my head. I am glad to have groups like these with people in my own age group and hopefully I will get to know some of you better. Please feel free to reach out. I'm a hard person to get to know but I can be a supportive friend.
  • marekdds
    Options
    I have a couple that I consider real friends even though we have never met. After three years of chatting it seems like we have met. I actually have met one several times and are friends in irl.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    I have quite a few online friends I have never met but consider good friends. I am enjoying the people in this group and some of the other friends I have made. I haven't had any offline contact with anyone on mfp, though. Although most seem like people I would like to know.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    For me, being somewhat active on the site makes a huge difference. I was on for a year, did not make any connections, and quit for six months. I came back, joined a challenge, where I met and connected to a few people, and became 100% committed. I think being connected in some way contributes to my success.
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've losing weight on Mfp for 2 years and maintaining for the last year. I can say that groups and friends are really more helpful than ever for me to keep active and keep on eating right and healthy.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,998 Member
    Options
    For some folks, the social aspect of MFP seems very important. If their MFP friends don't "like" or comment on every thought and/or notification, they feel unsupported. If I needed that much support, I would be talking to a mental health professional. I rarely drop my personal "stuff" onto my newsfeed and never on the forums.

I agree that knowing someone cares enough to check is beneficial. Essential? Not for me. I guess I'm an odd duck.

Jen and I have discussed this before. She raised the point that men and women process things differently. The ladies appreciate the personal touch more than the gents. As a result of that discussion, I try to be more attentive to those in my friend list... but, me being me, if no-one drops by my newfeed to say hi, I'm okay with that.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    For some folks, the social aspect of MFP seems very important. If their MFP friends don't "like" or comment on every thought and/or notification, they feel unsupported. If I needed that much support, I would be talking to a mental health professional. I rarely drop my personal "stuff" onto my newsfeed and never on the forums.

I agree that knowing someone cares enough to check is beneficial. Essential? Not for me. I guess I'm an odd duck.

Jen and I have discussed this before. She raised the point that men and women process things differently. The ladies appreciate the personal touch more than the gents. As a result of that discussion, I try to be more attentive to those in my friend list... but, me being me, if no-one drops by my newfeed to say hi, I'm okay with that.

That is exactly what the boyfriend says. Facebook, online friends... he doesn't get it. He also says men have different ways of being with their friends. They can go months, years, without seeing each other and it doesn't change the status of their friendship one bit. Despite being an introvert, I like a 'peopled' life but also know my limits and will retreat when I go into people overload.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    That is exactly what the boyfriend says. Facebook, online friends... he doesn't get it. He also says men have different ways of being with their friends. They can go months, years, without seeing each other and it doesn't change the status of their friendship one bit. Despite being an introvert, I like a 'peopled' life but also know my limits and will retreat when I go into people overload.
    Agreed with your boyfriend. If you don't see someone for a while, why would that change your friendship? It means when you do get together, you have more stuff to talk about.

I'm grateful when folks pay a visit (online or off) but if they don't, that's okay too. I'm told the true difference between an extrovert and an introvert is energy; yin and yang. An extrovert gains energy through social interaction whereas an introvert must spend energy in social interactions. Like yin and yang, both introvert and extrovert have the seed of each other.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    Agreed with your boyfriend. If you don't see someone for a while, why would that change your friendship? It means when you do get together, you have more stuff to talk about.

I'm grateful when folks pay a visit (online or off) but if they don't, that's okay too. I'm told the true difference between an extrovert and an introvert is energy; yin and yang. An extrovert gains energy through social interaction whereas an introvert must spend energy in social interactions. Like yin and yang, both introvert and extrovert have the seed of each other.

That is exactly how it is for me. I am drained after being in a group of people. I will tell you, though, that I actually lost a friend because I just didn't have time to see her when she had time. Women can be odd in some ways, but I guess you know that.
  • Purple1105
    Purple1105 Posts: 37 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I never thought that logging my food and exercise would make such a difference but after 3 days I was, hooked. It showed me where my food intake was sorely lacking. I have only between on here a couple of weeks. I also realized (aha moment) that I didn't have any RL friends trying to lose weight didn't have to hinder me. My new IG friends are folks in the struggle just like me. Their posts have kept me motivated. Accountability has been the key for me. I started on a bet which forced me to weigh in weekly with others., I will miss that when it's over.

Tina
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Purple1105 wrote: »
    I never thought that logging my food and exercise would make such a difference but after 3 days I was, hooked. It showed me where my food intake was sorely lacking. I have only between on here a couple of weeks. I also realized (aha moment) that I didn't have any RL friends trying to lose weight didn't have to hinder me. My new IG friends are folks in the struggle just like me. Their posts have kept me motivated. Accountability has been the key for me. I started on a bet which forced me to weigh in weekly with others., I will miss that when it's over.

Tina

Hi Tina,
    Congrats on your great start. Yea, this can change your life. Hold on!
  • marekdds
    Options
    Yeh, guys are different, (who knew). I try to be attentive to my friends everyday. If I am going to be absent, I will tell them. Maybe I am too fricking needy, but if I take the time to notice and encourage people, I expect the same in return.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    Yeh, guys are different, (who knew). I try to be attentive to my friends everyday. If I am going to be absent, I will tell them. Maybe I am too fricking needy, but if I take the time to notice and encourage people, I expect the same in return.
    I watch my newsfeed and I respond to those who are active or who appear to need encouragement. Some folks have so many posts, it's hard to imagine they will notice whether or not I reply. Others are mostly quiet. It's a balancing act, recognizing what works best for each individual.
  • debloveswine
    debloveswine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I try to keep the number of friends low, so I know that I'll have time to comment and be supportive. Nothing worse than a friend who hits the "like" button every time. I actually value some comments that I've gotten from my friends especially Jen who is always honest.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I try to keep the number of friends low, so I know that I'll have time to comment and be supportive. Nothing worse than a friend who hits the "like" button every time. I actually value some comments that I've gotten from my friends especially Jen who is always honest.

That's exactly what mfp friendships are about.. Taking the time to comment & be supportive is so very important.
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    3 of my MFP friends have become facebook friends.
  • Purple1105
    Purple1105 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Brinasacat wrote: »
    3 of my MFP friends have become facebook friends.

I can see that! It's tough when no one in your inside circle is trying to loose weight. That's where social media and MFP pick up the slack. You can surround yourself with folks in the trenches with you. Also, having to log in my food holds me accountable in a way like never before for me. The atta girls made me pause before I ate something that I knew wouldn't help me get to my goal. That yummy piece of cake I ate at a church event cost me 500 calories!!!!! I knew I couldn't eat it again without a conscious decision