Hi- food/diary help please!

Options
xLoveLikeWinterx
xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
Hi all,

Just been feeling generally junky the last few days-week. Thought it was carb flu at first but nope, it shouldn't be. Tired all the time, crabby, some muscle ache, but I've been exercising harder lately. Retaining water badly even though I'm drinking 80+ oz a day and urine is light colored. No keto breath. Carbs, it varies but I'm generally < 30-40 g/day.

Started supplementing Magnesium (750 mg/day) and salting my food. Haven't tried broth yet.

Can someone take a peek at my journal and give me some advice? TIA! This past Sat I didn't log everything- I think I had about 600 cals, I actually ate 1220. Everything else is accurate, I think.

Replies

• xLoveLikeWinterx
    Options
    Bumping for help :)
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I suggest cutting out the bars and shakes and eat real food. You've got no green veggies in there and lots if fat bombs. Why not sautee some spinach and add butter or cauliflower roasted in evoo with butter? Fat bombs are good but I'm not sure about 2,3,4 a day since they are sweetened.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Could you help us by giving us your height and maybe your weight.
    It doesn't look like you are eating enough calories. I use artificial sweeteners myself, but too much can make you feel yucky. Try focusing on more whole foods, like a veggie here and there, nuts, or meat, and reduce your sweeteners a little. There's a place for shakes and fat bombs, (I have a cottage cheese, avocado, protein shake most days myself sweetened with sucralose. My coffee is sweetened with it as well), but you may be fatigued because you aren't eating enough calories and the calories you are consuming aren't as micronutrient dense.

I also agree that maybe you should take it easy on the exercise until you get this ironed-out. There will be time for that once you are feeling a little better.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I suggest cutting out the bars and shakes and eat real food. You've got no green veggies in there and lots if fat bombs. Why not sautee some spinach and add butter or cauliflower roasted in evoo with butter? Fat bombs are good but I'm not sure about 2,3,4 a day since they are sweetened.

^^This. You need more veggies both for nutrition and for fiber. You aren't getting nearly enough fiber.

Also the Starbuck's caffe misto has 10 grams of sugar and it looks like you are drinking those pretty regularly. You might also look for other hidden sugars, like in ketchup and whatever else you are eating.
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The way you describe your symptoms, it sounds like you're eating too much protein and not getting enough actual fuel for your body.

Try dropping your protein target to say, 90grams, and boost your fat intake to compensate. You also might want to try dropping your carbs a bit, or trying to get them from sources that have more natural fiber. Skip the added fiber. You don't necessarily need more vegetables, but 50g of carbs from low fat dairy, whey powder, and the carb-adjusted recipes for things like quest bars or other things with added fibers and alcohol sugars is going to look very different than 50g of carbs from full-fat dairy and other whole food sources.

It also looks like you're eating artifically sweetened things all day long, every day. Is that actually the case? Because that might be doing stupid things to your insulin levels and/or blood sugar. Having a week off from these foods and then reintroducing could give you some clue as to how your body is reacting.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I don't get much fibre and feel better for it (I was under the impression that high fat means you didn't need much fibre?).

It doesn't look like you eat anything with any real substance. Just lots of replacement foods. It looks to me like you are still stuck in a frame of mind where you crave sweet stuff. I would get rid of 99% of that stuff and eat some more meat.
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My thing about fiber is that counting net carbs I can have some "high" carb days without actually being very high on carbs at all. For example, my goal is always to stay at or under 20g of carbs and if I exceed that, it needs to be from fiber, so I can go up to close to 40g of carbs (20 non-fiber carbs, 20 fiber carbs) if I'm doing nothing but eating avocados that day. :smiley:

I find such a huge amount of flexibility in this system.
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    how is your thyroid? What medical conditions do you have?

• deksgrl
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    Just wanted to say that I don't get much fibre and feel better for it (I was under the impression that high fat means you didn't need much fibre?).

It doesn't look like you eat anything with any real substance. Just lots of replacement foods. It looks to me like you are still stuck in a frame of mind where you crave sweet stuff. I would get rid of 99% of that stuff and eat some more meat.

Fiber helps with blood sugar control, it slows the absorption of carbs & sugar. People who get adequate fiber have less risk of heart attack and stroke, and it also has benefits for digestion.

• xLoveLikeWinterx
    Options
    pedidiva wrote: »
    how is your thyroid? What medical conditions do you have?

Insulin Resistant/Pre-diabetic, I also had RNY surgery in 2009 so I still have a hard time digesting more than a couple ozs of meat at a sitting. A lot of veggies get "stuck" and cause dumping, i.e. broccoli send me to the bathroom within about 10 mins of eating.

Last time my Dr checked, my A1C was improving and thyroid levels looked ok. That was in May.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »

^^This. You need more veggies both for nutrition and for fiber. You aren't getting nearly enough fiber.

Also the Starbuck's caffe misto has 10 grams of sugar and it looks like you are drinking those pretty regularly. You might also look for other hidden sugars, like in ketchup and whatever else you are eating.

I dropped that today, hoping to see what it will do.

Vegs I have a hard time with, but I can do cooked spinach, avocado, or kale. I have stomach issues so broccoli, mushrooms, onions, all sit rough in my stomach.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Could you help us by giving us your height and maybe your weight.
    It doesn't look like you are eating enough calories. I use artificial sweeteners myself, but too much can make you feel yucky. Try focusing on more whole foods, like a veggie here and there, nuts, or meat, and reduce your sweeteners a little. There's a place for shakes and fat bombs, (I have a cottage cheese, avocado, protein shake most days myself sweetened with sucralose. My coffee is sweetened with it as well), but you may be fatigued because you aren't eating enough calories and the calories you are consuming aren't as micronutrient dense.

I also agree that maybe you should take it easy on the exercise until you get this ironed-out. There will be time for that once you are feeling a little better.

5'4.5, about 156-157. It fluctuates.

I'm thinking of slowing down on the exercise for a bit. My deficit may be too aggressive right now.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    Options
    The way you describe your symptoms, it sounds like you're eating too much protein and not getting enough actual fuel for your body.

Try dropping your protein target to say, 90grams, and boost your fat intake to compensate. You also might want to try dropping your carbs a bit, or trying to get them from sources that have more natural fiber. Skip the added fiber. You don't necessarily need more vegetables, but 50g of carbs from low fat dairy, whey powder, and the carb-adjusted recipes for things like quest bars or other things with added fibers and alcohol sugars is going to look very different than 50g of carbs from full-fat dairy and other whole food sources.

It also looks like you're eating artifically sweetened things all day long, every day. Is that actually the case? Because that might be doing stupid things to your insulin levels and/or blood sugar. Having a week off from these foods and then reintroducing could give you some clue as to how your body is reacting.

I think I'm at too high of protein as well. Everything that sits ok in my stomach is a protein shake, cheese, fat bomb. If I were to eat steak, broccoli, and cheese, I'd be in the bathroom sick right after. Unless I do the shakes and fat bombs, I have a hard time getting enough protein in. Sometimes all I can stomach is 1 oz of meat at a time, maybe a piece or two of bacon, etc.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options

When I was doing CICO and eating A LOT of fiber I couldn't even go the bathroom once a week without taking a heavy duty laxative. Now I hardly eat any fiber and I'm the most regular I have EVER been.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    Options

When I was doing CICO and eating A LOT of fiber I couldn't even go the bathroom once a week without taking a heavy duty laxative. Now I hardly eat any fiber and I'm the most regular I have EVER been.

I'm wondering if I should back off the fiber. The flax muffins I make have something like 15 g for 2 of them?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The only fiber I personally get is in higher fiber veggies (and even that isn't every day). And I had bathroom problems prior, and have none now. Fat takes the place of fiber as far as lubricating up the...channel for waste disposal. You may go less often, but as long as you aren't in pain or having to strain, this is utterly normal.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    Options
    I changed my pre-logged foods for tonight, so I should end up with 63% fat/27% protein/9% carbs. No exercise tonight, either, and I'll see how I feel.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

Fiber helps with blood sugar control, it slows the absorption of carbs & sugar. People who get adequate fiber have less risk of heart attack and stroke, and it also has benefits for digestion.

But we are low carb, so surely do not need to stress the fibre thing? I was given this advice myself on here not long ago. I have a blood glucose metre and have tested my blood sugars often, they did not like metamucil.

• deksgrl
    Options

But we are low carb, so surely do not need to stress the fibre thing? I was given this advice myself on here not long ago. I have a blood glucose metre and have tested my blood sugars often, they did not like metamucil.

I suppose if you can't digest veggies, but for those who can, I wouldn't ignore the nutritional and health value.

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    You don't need to stress fiber at all. I get 0g each day.

If you're not eating lots of carbs and sugars, you don't need fiber to slow the absorption. The studies that show relationships between fiber, heart attack, and stroke are all really badly done and none of them are comparing those who eat very low carb diets with and without fiber. You can safely ignore them.

Personally, I don't like fiber and it doesn't like me. I've been much better since I got it out of my life. There's no need to bring it back in, if you're the same. Some people claim to need it. But, if you're doing fine without it (and many do), there's no need.