My relationship with food now.....

Options
DCpaleochick
DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
Who else has broken the chains of food addiction? It shocks me to know how obsessed I was with regards to eating and food. I can now say it was an addictive cycle that was out of control. I have complete control of cravings and hunger that it almost scares me.

Keto-on!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Who else has broken the chains of food addiction? It shocks me to know how obsessed I was with regards to eating and food. I can now say it was an addictive cycle that was out of control. I have complete control of cravings and hunger that it almost scares me.

Keto-on!

I have. I compare it to the food addiction voice being screaming loud in the front of my head in a way that blocked out all other thoughts - to now, it is a dim voice in the back of my head that can be easily ignored. Like many other recovering addicts, my stress-eat reaction may still be a knee-jerk reaction, but now I can laugh at it or feed it a different way.

I never knew there was a different way. Now I can finally see why "normal" people without food addictions just don't understand what we mean when we try to explain it to them. There simply is no comparison. At all... Being able to function without that raging insanity - it is worth staying on this eating plan forever even if I never lose another ounce or inch or anything!!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    In fact, a friend voiced a complaint to me today about people not understanding the true nature of what this means to a true food/sugar addict, in recovery or not... This was my response.

I think there are really people that have zero idea of the struggle. While my fiance is addicted to cigarettes, should he choose to quit them completely, he can live a life where he never has to be around another smoker again. Ever. But he doesn't agree (or really even understand because for him it is a CHOICE) when I liken my sugar addiction (in recovery) to his tobacco and caffeine addiction. I even tried to explain to him that if I drank sodas all day long and had that sugar taste periodically, I might be less likely to binge, but I refuse to drink that sugar all the time because my body does not process it properly. I even likened it to his mild lactose intolerance. That finally got through somewhat.

People refuse to think of any addiction the choose to maintain as possibly poison (or if they admit it aloud, they don't BELIEVE it), and so if you tell them that is is poison to you or an allergy, and they don't have underlying issues, to them that is just an excuse to justify gorging. They do not COMPREHEND it. For some people, I just tell them my body has developed an allergy to XYZ and it makes me violently ill. They still think I'm lying, but at least they pay more attention.

I think that I would likely make a compromise system (in response to her complaint of people knowing about her food triggers, but still bringing food into her home anyway). If you bring XYZ into the house, I'm eating all the bacon - you don't get a single piece. You brought that so you don't need what I provided...or something similar. There has to be a way to get through to them to get them to understand the struggle is real....
  • kendallvon
    kendallvon Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Oh, YEAH!!! I used to be a HUGE bread/sugar addict. Now I don't even crave it any longer. Honestly, the only thing I "crave" is fruit. Not candy, not cake/cookies/chocolate-- fruit. I don't indulge, but I must say it tickles me!
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm nearing the end of week 5 and although my cravings for bread and cakes and muffins have subsided, I KNOW that if I indulged...right now... I would go off the deep end. I do not trust myself to "cheat" with a meal. I'm hoping one day I'll be at peace with food and my choices but as of now I'm not there.
  • ellawillluke
    ellawillluke Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This freedom from cravings is a gift which I never realized would happen. It does feel like sanity regained. I am so grateful for finding this WOE. Fifty pounds down, about eighty to go. One step off the path with some "low carb ice cream" was absolutely all I needed to remind me of my priorities. I got so sick and had such excruciating leg cramps all night after that big indulgence. Lesson learned!
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's really about breaking out of the notorious "blood sugar cycle" that impacts our hunger hormones and drives our brains' food addictions. Once you get control over the typical ups and downs of the blood sugar cycle it's just amazing at how much "will power" you will suddenly find to help overcome your addictions. Unfortunately I see this with my wife every day and she just doesn't get that it's what she's eating that creates the vicious circle and feeds her food addictions.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I now view food as fuel that should taste amazing. I used to be a comfort eater. I have much more control over my hunger and emotional response to food. I wish that people could understand that foods are/can be addictive. But I find that most people either don't understand or don't care to know period.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It's funny now to watch people do all the sampling in the store when I'm shopping, you know those, try this and try that sample ladies? I used to stop at all of them and had to have it, not anymore, I just say no, thank you.
    I was addicted to pastas and white bread, never had a sweet tooth though so sugar was easy to give up. People don't realize that we should eat to live and not live to eat.
    The ginormous portions of meal at any restaurant is just ridiculous! Why Americans think that bigger is better? I could never understand it. When you go to really expensive specialty place they have very small portions of food, this is because you supposed to enjoy and savor your meal, not eat like there is no tomorrow. Your gut isn't a bottomless pit. Amazing that so many people don't understand what they do to themselves, it's a shame. The food commercials are gross!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    It's a wonderful side effect of this woe!! Never dreamed it had that much power until I took it back!