Butter

Options
dbandy412
dbandy412 Posts: 3 Member
Can anyone suggest a healthy butter substitute that tastes good and does not have harmful preservatives? I have been using Kerry Gold Butter for years but am trying to cut back on fat.....I have high cholesterol.

Replies

• like2create
    like2create Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ghee
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ghee

Ghee is butter,it's just clarified and has no longer any milk solids. The advantage is that it does not go rancid, even when stored for a long time without refrigeration. But it's not a butter substitute.
    In March I had two heart attacks and even though I have to be careful with fat, my cardiologist told me I can have butter in very moderate amounts ( staying within my fat allowance ), because any butter substitutes are not any better. Of course I don't live in the US, where there are many foods not available in other countries. I am looking forward to my 2 slices 7-grain bread with 1 ounce of butter ( and two egg whites with vegetables ) for breakfast tomorrow. The rest of the week I do not use any fat for cooking, just seed oil or olive oil, if I need a salad dressing.

• niteowl24
    niteowl24 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I guess that depends on where you want to use it.
    I switch from coconut oil to olive oil to butter depending on the other ingredients.

If its a chicken/rice/veggie dish i use coconut oil.
    If its more of an Italian garlicky and herb type of thing i use olive oil.

I tend to use butter in breakfast dishes, like scrambled eggs.

I was trying to alway use coconut oil but some things just dont lend themselves to the coconut flavor. Plus it can get pricey.

Some people dip their bread in olive oil instead of using butter. I always thought that was kinda gross though.

Its actually really easy to make your own butter. It may not help fat content but it will certainly cut down salt and you can be picky about the type of cream you use.
  • charllata
    charllata Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    if you add some balsamic vinegar to the olive oil-makes a great dip. Is also great as a salad dressing. I used the concentrated version balsamic vinegar. If you blend figs, olive oil and concentrated balsamic vinegar-yummy salad dressing.
    Clean eating if you can get farm fresh butter-meaning grass fed is very healthy.
  • gash14
    gash14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've started making this vegan butter:
    http://www.veganbaking.net/recipes/fats/vegan-butters/regular-vegan-butter-cocoa-butter-base

I use cashew milk instead of soy. It's pretty delicious!
  • Sm1rkY
    Sm1rkY Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use Flora Buttery when I absolutely can't wait for my butter to warm enough to spread. It's supposed to be good for you, with omegas in it and all, but apart from that, it does have a buttery taste - not exactly like, but close enough.
  • cvpastore
    cvpastore Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Have you tried kerry gold light? That's what I use. Plus ghee, coconut and olive oil like the rest. I have kids so I need to use fat in their food.
  • jahmanrv
    jahmanrv Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I clarify my butter. Use a cheesecloth to help me pour it back into a bowl, and just keep it on the counter.
  • violetsrblue
    violetsrblue Posts: 8 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My absolute favorite is the Organic Whipped Earth Balance. Of his vegan, non-GMO, has a buttery taste and does NOT have any weird additives that the other brands like Smart Balance has and is non-hydrogenated. 1 TBSP=80 cal. I get this at Trader Joe's but it is not specific to there. Some Wal-Mart's carry it and I have seen it at a few Fry's stores as well. They have other varieties as well with more calories (not whipped) and others are not organic but still have no additives and are non-GMO, made with other oils one with coconut. They also make baking sticks like butter that can be used in most baking applications. A bit pricier than a few other choices out there but worth it!
  • walkonfire5
    walkonfire5 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    olive oil butter Fats aint the enemy
  • seonagofsca
    seonagofsca Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like Land o Lakes Butter with Olive oil, tastes good, easily spreads from fridge. Contains Sweet cream, Olive Oil and salt. Reg. Butter per fitness pal 1 tbsp= Calories 100, Total Fat 12 g, Sat 7 g, Cholesterol 31 mg..
    ...Land o Lakes 1 tbsp= Calories 90, Total Fat 10 g, Sat 4g, Cholesterol 15 mg..
  • amykarryn1
    amykarryn1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil :-)
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I find I use less butter when I use butter or Ghee. So I just use it. I cook with coconut oil or olive oil though. Depending on what it is. Balsamic and oil is great by the way!! In Italy they didn't understand why my friend wanted butter for her bread ;-) LOL
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I use Vitalite Dairy Free as my everyday spread and grapeseed & EVOO as oil. Just cheap brands.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Butter is really good for you btw.... if I could eat it I would :)
  • LuanaBean
    LuanaBean Posts: 50 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Stay away from transfats (hydrogenated oils). Read labels. It depends on how much you are using and what you are using it for. I use real butter (organic preferably), coconut oil and olive oil all for cooking. (I use olive oil for my homemade salad dressings).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil on sweet potatoes - I need less of it than I would butter.

I use tzatziki sauce on white potatoes (and salad.) My recipe is from the Joy of Cooking, and is similar to this: http://www.cookeatjoy.com/tzatziki-sauce/