I'm doing it...but I feel like a turtle :(

Options
krichard08
krichard08 Posts: 62 Member
I completed W5D3 last night. I was able to do so without stopping at all so I am super proud of that...HOWEVER my speed is quite slow. As I read through other threads and I am seeing the speeds/times of other people I am feeling more and more like a turtle in a hares race! I am 5'3" so I don't have the longest of legs or strides. I am way over weight for my height (185 lbs) so jogging at 4.2 MPH feels like the fastest I can go. I tried 4.4 and I was winded quick. My walking speed is 3.4 - 3.5. Should I try speeding things up? Advice? Personal Stories? I'll take anything! :)

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Keep it slow. You should be able to hold a conversation (or sing a song) while you are running. Don't worry about speed now. You are building endurance now, speed will come later. Congrats on finishing Week 5!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    You should run at a speed you can hold at a conversation at. Do not worry about speed, most people start too fast. It is ok to run slower than you walk. Running and walking are technically different. The key is to complete the programme, is about time on feet. Given your speed you need to make sure you are doing a time version rather than distance. Welcome to the programme and use the daily check in thread to log your progress. Enjoy your journey
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm a slow runner so I can say this: never compare your speed with others. Everyone's speed is individual. It's a mantra I tell myself a lot when I start getting discouraged.
    You're running faster than I ran at that time (5.2K/hr) so I think your speed is great. I'm barely faster than your speed today. It's all relative. Just remember that you're running, feeling great and you're doing terrifically well.

You're doing great. Keep running at your pace and you're less inclined to injury or giving up.

Great job on completing W5D3!!!

PS: there are days when I feel like a turtle and other days when I feel like I'm flying along....and I run at the same basic speed all the time. Running is a real mental challenge.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I agree with going slow. I completed c25k a couple weeks ago, now working on 10k program, and I still run at about 3.5mph (or slower). There's no way I can do 5k in 30 minutes. It takes me an hour when I go out to run my 5k practice runs. And I'm cool with that. Speed will come in time. Eventually I'll aim for that 30 minute time, but right now I'm just building endurance.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I just went through my logs. I completed W5D3 on 1/27/15, with a speed of 14:15 minutes/mile (4.21 mph). Yay, me! I beat you!!! (By 0.01 mph) Now, 4 1/2 months later, I am running 10-12 miles each week, and I have run a mile in 9:30, and a 5k in 33:15. You'll get there . . . just don't worry about speed!!!
  • krichard08
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for the personal references, advice and encouragement! :smile: So far I have run only on the treadmill. I would be curious to see what my times/speeds would be on the road. Someday. Right now..I have one goal...FINISH!! :)
  • JSC145
    JSC145 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Fyi, i am 5 feet 3.5 inches and weigh 183 lbs... I just did week 5 day 3 a few days ago and avg. speed was 14:05 min per mile. All my numbers are pretty close to you. You're not alone! =)
  • DaveAkeman
    Options
    krichard08 wrote: »
    Thank you so much everyone for the personal references, advice and encouragement! :smile: So far I have run only on the treadmill. I would be curious to see what my times/speeds would be on the road. Someday. Right now..I have one goal...FINISH!! :)

I was wondering why you were measuring your speed in mph, instead of min/mile! I know everyone is different, but if it were me, I'd get out on the trail right away. I have not done any treadmill running, simply because I CAN'T! I find it too boring. Plus, when you get tired on the trail, you slow down without even thinking about it. I can't even IMAGINE having to try to regulate my speed with buttons and a digital readout . . . Gaaaah!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Unless you are literally racing someone, or planning on it. Never compare your speed/pace to others.
    You're doing the program, and you're doing it successfully!
    If you can get out on the road/footpath/track/trail, do it. You may find it slows you down further as running outside can use more effort, but it may make it more natural too.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    If you move outside (I highly recommend it), you may find that you can't run as long at first. You'll catch up again, very soon, but the road surfaces and having to push yourself forward slows some people down for a few days. Just something to be aware of.
    Running outside is wonderful. Make sure you've got good shoes.
  • krichard08
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I am hoping to find a way to fit outdoor running into my life soon!! Working around the kids and their schedules is a chore and a half so I usually find myself in the basement on the treadmill after 8 PM.
  • DaveAkeman
    Options
    krichard08 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone! I am hoping to find a way to fit outdoor running into my life soon!! Working around the kids and their schedules is a chore and a half so I usually find myself in the basement on the treadmill after 8 PM.

I hear you there! Most of my runs end up being late at night, after the rest of the house has gone to bed. I did a 5K last night at 11PM; with the warm up and cool down, I barely made it home by midnight. Sometimes I wish I had a treadmill, for days like this. Still . . . I just don't know if I could do it!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Everytime I read someone using a dreadmill, a little bit of me dies. Be happy in your running, whatever form it takes.