Low-carb Waffle recipe?

Options
CoconuttyMummy
CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
I feel like its time for a good solid breakfast for the weekend, and if you've been reading my saga you'll know ive been struggling a little, so its time for a keto-ized treat tomorrow, me thinks. A nice fluffy low-carb, gluten-free Waffle with bacon and sugar-free/calorie-free syrup would really perk me up and make this keto business a whole lot more bearable! :)

Soo, does anyone have a low-carb waffle recipe by any chance? I will get searching on google but i thought id ask you fine people too because youve been a fountain of knowledge so far! x

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    You can make them with carbquick, which is basically a low carb version of bisquick, but I don't know if it's gluten free, too.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    I dont use ready-made low-carb/gluten-free flour mixes - i prefer to use my own flours such as almond, coconut, tapioca, arrowroot etc.

Ive found a few nice looking low-carb waffle recipes on some blogs but it would be great to have a tried and tested one sampled by someone here.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I tried almond flour pancakes & they made me gag. Couldn't do more than 2 bites. But if you're already used to different flours, should be ok for you. (I know - pancakes aren't waffles, but similar idea).
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I haven't done this particular one myself, but I've done other recipes on her site and they're quite good. I suspect this one will be the same -- http://satisfyingeats.com/breakfast/crunchy-waffles/
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I haven't done this particular one myself, but I've done other recipes on her site and they're quite good. I suspect this one will be the same -- http://satisfyingeats.com/breakfast/crunchy-waffles/

Ooh these look nice. Her recipes all look lovely. Thanks for the link.

• Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    If you're up for pancakes instead of waffles, the cream cheese pancakes are pretty good!
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    Oooh what recipe is that?
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing about these cream cheese pancakes. I'm gonna have to break down and try them out of sheer curiosity. The one time I tried to make LC pancakes, they just tasted like eggs, so I've been a little wary.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Oooh what recipe is that?

I don't know what recipe she's referring to, but I enjoy this one -- http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast-recipe-snickerdoodle-crepes-low-carb.html

It's technically crepes, but they make really good pancakes, in my opinion.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yum, thankyou, these do look lovely. *bookmarked*

I found a nice looking low-carb almond meal and whey protein based waffle recipe online and cooked up a batch this morning. They tasted pretty good, better than expected, but they were very soft and i really fancied slightly crunchy waffles. Maybe its not possible to create a crispy exterior with fluffy interior using low-carb batter. I'll have to try out a few more different recipes to find out - all in the name of research! ;)
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    @CoconuttyMummy I bet if you added some fat to the batter it would help them crisp up a little (that was my father in-law's trick for making super crispy waffles). Maybe add some lard or shortening to the batter? His batter always had little "lumps" of shortening and his waffles (while not low carb) were AMAZING. :)
  • Dragonwolf
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thaeda wrote: »
    @CoconuttyMummy I bet if you added some fat to the batter it would help them crisp up a little (that was my father in-law's trick for making super crispy waffles). Maybe add some lard or shortening to the batter? His batter always had little "lumps" of shortening and his waffles (while not low carb) were AMAZING. :)

Ew...not shortening. Go with lard. Trust me, once you do, you'll never go back. There's a reason the best pastries and pie crusts are made with lard.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Ew...not shortening. Go with lard. Trust me, once you do, you'll never go back.

Ok... sorry... didn't know-- but will def. keep in mind if I decide to make LC waffles. :)

• AMPie73
    AMPie73 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've made pancakes with Bob's Red Mill low carb baking mix and they turned out pretty good. Not sure how it would do for waffles though.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thaeda wrote: »

Great idea, i'll try the lard next time. There was a little melted butter in the mix but maybe it needed switching for lard - or maybe i should just add in a bit of lard extra? Hmmm.

Ive got to say, despite the low-carb waffles i made yesterday being soft, i warmed them up in the toaster today and used 2 of them to make a bacon sandwich with calorie free pancake syrup and, oh my gawd, it was lush! Would have been out of this world if they were crispy but i was giving out some pretty loud moans of joy whilst eating this bacon waffle sandwich, regardless :)

• CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    AMPie73 wrote: »
    I've made pancakes with Bob's Red Mill low carb baking mix and they turned out pretty good. Not sure how it would do for waffles though.

Im afraid i dont use baking mixes. I dont like the idea of the additives and their choices of low-carb flours dont always fit with my primal WOE. I like to use nut flours, coconut flour, arrowroot, tapioca flour, whey protein - that kind of thing for my baking endeavors.