Discontinued Ice Cream Flavors You Miss

Options
2»

Replies

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Basically most of the Breyers line up since it went from ice cream to "frozen dairy dessert".

The recipe changes under Unilever have basically destroyed most of the appeal of one of my once favorite brands. It use to be that no other commercial ice cream tasted anything quite like Breyers; it had a wholly unique taste, and even more, texture that's gone now.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Basically most of the Breyers line up since it went from ice cream to "frozen dairy dessert".

The recipe changes under Unilever have basically destroyed most of the appeal of one of my once favorite brands. It use to be that no other commercial ice cream tasted anything quite like Breyers; it had a wholly unique taste, and even more, texture that's gone now.

I don't think I ever had it before but I am not a fan of the fluffy base it has now for the most part. It's okay, and I'll happily eat it if that's what Mr Acrylics wants. But I never seek it out.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I'm sad that the midnight truffle blizzard from Dairy Queen is gone now. Hopefully it's not gone forever, and the salted caramel one is great too, but I'll miss the midnight truffle.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Turkey Hill used to have a vanilla ice cream with chunks of chocolate covered pretzels in it. Sweet, creamy, salty, crunchy. Perfect.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

I don't think I ever had it before but I am not a fan of the fluffy base it has now for the most part. It's okay, and I'll happily eat it if that's what Mr Acrylics wants. But I never seek it out.

Yes the original recipe, which consisted of almost no preservatives, was the closest to homemade ice cream you could get from one of the bigger commercial brand; the texture was very much like something out of an ice cream maker. Nothing like the fluffy texture now. And technically almost all of the flavors are now not legally considered ice cream, hence the "dairy dessert". It's a shame.
  • Kronkiscow
    Kronkiscow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Two of them:
    - Ben & Jerry's Black and Tan (beer ice cream!) and
    - Ciao Bella's Triple Espresso (which had three types of coffee beans, espresso concentrate, and coffee concentrate in the ingredients list). Normally, coffee won't keep me awake but that stuff had me buzzing for hours.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Kronkiscow wrote: »
    Two of them:
    - Ciao Bella's Triple Espresso (which had three types of coffee beans, espresso concentrate, and coffee concentrate in the ingredients list). Normally, coffee won't keep me awake but that stuff had me buzzing for hours.

There's a new line of Yuengling ice creams at Harris Teeter if you have one of those nearby. I can't vouch for it since I haven't tried it (and am not a huge Yuengling fan anyway) but if you're into that sort of thing it might be worth a shot.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Two of them:

There's a new line of Yuengling ice creams at Harris Teeter if you have one of those nearby. I can't vouch for it since I haven't tried it (and am not a huge Yuengling fan anyway) but if you're into that sort of thing it might be worth a shot.

The Yuengling stuff doesn't have alcohol in it. It's good though.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Two of them:

The Yuengling stuff doesn't have alcohol in it. It's good though.

That's weird-- the guy at HT said it did. Maybe he just doesn't know. I didn't ask about it specifically I just called to ask whether they had the new Talenti and he asked if I was interested in the Yuengling.
  • Kronkiscow
    Kronkiscow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well, we have Yuengling in the area, but not Harris Teeter.

I'd expect their ice cream to be good as that's how they stayed in business during Prohibition - they opened up a factory across the street from their brewery and made ice cream.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Two for me:
    #1 - Stone Ridge Creamery had a mint moose tracks that was my all time favorite ice cream
    #2 - Bryers made a fat free chocolate cookies and cream
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Turkey Hill did a Green Tea frozen yogurt, with mango sorbet, half of each in the same carton. Best summer refresher ever.