BPC

Options
CoconuttyMummy
CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
For those of you who partake in a little Bulletproof Coffee, when do you generally consume it? - breakfast? lunch? snack?

Do you find it satisfies your hunger and gives you a similar amount of energy as a solid meal with comparable calories/macros? Or do you tend to have it when you're not feeling hungry but know you need some calories?

Also what recipe do you use? Ive been using 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp coconut oil in a double espresso plus extra water, and sometimes half a scoop vanilla protein powder.

Im just trying to figure out if there's a place in my diet for BPC because i love the taste but so far havent found it fill me up the same as food would.

Replies

• mongoosealamode
    mongoosealamode Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have mine for breakfast. Occasonal I will have 3 pieces of bacon with it but usually the BPC is enough. I've noticed that when I eat a meal for breakfast I feel lethargic and get headaches for the rest of the day.
    Mine BPC is
    2 cups {strong} coffee, 4 drops ez sweetz, 1 tbs coconut oil, 1 tbs organic grass fed butter, and 1 tbs HWC.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I drink it for breakfast and morning coffee break. I usually eat eggs along with breakfast, but sometimes skip breakfast on the weekend. The BPC plus breakfast keep me going all day. I only drink water from mid morning until supper. So it lasts me 10-12 hours. I find that my energy level is through the roof while drinking it. I am seldom hungry.

I use 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, 1 Tbsp MCT oil with about 20-24 oz of coffee. I don't use sweetener or protein powder, but will sometimes throw a raw egg in there when time is short and there is no time for breakfast.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I'm confused as to the use of it.

I have started adding coconut oil to my coffee and find it more filling and it holds me over till around 10:00.

Some posts on BPC here seemed like it was intended for food fasts to hold you down on cravings but still has lots of calories

I admit, I don't understand the purpose or use of BPC as it was I guess created to fulfill.

• pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have it for breakfast. Mine is 2 TBSP chia seeds, ground, 1 TBSP coconut oil, and coffee. I use a handheld blender to mix it.
  • sass_hole
    sass_hole Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It doesn't fill me up alone. Liquids of any sort never fulfill me the way food does. I will consume with a small breakfast (maybe BPC coffee, hard boiled egg and string cheese) if I haven't prepared anything and/or am running late, or I'll drink it if I know that I need a larger breakfast because I won't be able to eat lunch on time.

I say: do what works for you.
  • mongoosealamode
    mongoosealamode Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The purpose of BPC is to be delicious. oh and adds some fat too... but its mostly just delicious.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I think BPC can have different purposes for different individuals. I like that cocount oil can speed up my metabolism with my hypothyroidism, and together with the coffee, ensures I stay regular in the bathroom. It is fabulous for my energy level. And the extra fat that I don't get in my lean grass fed meat is welcome. I am a coffee lover too, so this is a natural for me. I even bought a cheap immersion blender for work. And I never need to pack a lunch.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning, I do eat breakfast couple hours later, something lite.
    My BPC varies, I drink coffe maybe 3 times a day, one with coconut, one with butter and one black. All with HWC
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The legend goes something like this:

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

I first learned about the power of butter at 18,000 feet of elevation near Mt. Kailash in Tibet.
    I staggered into a guest house from the -10 degree weather and was literally rejuvenated by a creamy cup of yak butter tea. The biohacker in me asked, “why?” and after a couple years of careful research, that was the genesis of the recipe below, which is today, used by Billboard recording artists before they go on stage, world champion athletes, and some of the world’s top executives, because it has a massive impact on cognitive function.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    The legend goes something like this:

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

I first learned about the power of butter at 18,000 feet of elevation near Mt. Kailash in Tibet.
    I staggered into a guest house from the -10 degree weather and was literally rejuvenated by a creamy cup of yak butter tea. The biohacker in me asked, “why?” and after a couple years of careful research, that was the genesis of the recipe below, which is today, used by Billboard recording artists before they go on stage, world champion athletes, and some of the world’s top executives, because it has a massive impact on cognitive function.

I enjoy the folklore part.

How it came to be

Thanks!!
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    Ahaha, i see. :)

I think i'll save BPC for those days im too busy or too tired to prepare a solid breakfast/lunch or if im not that hungry.

It does truly taste delicious but i definitely feel more full on real food. However, that might change if my appetite reduces after a while. At the moment i still take quite a bit of filling!
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I use a Rocket Fuel Latte instead of breakfast. This morning I made it with coffee, 1 Tbsp coconut oil, 1 Tbsp cacao butter, 2 Tbsp hemp seeds, 1 Tbsp Great Lakes Gelatin.
    Calories: 408
    Carbs: 2
    Fiber: 2
    Fat: 38
    Protein: 18

Original recipe source: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2015/04/rocket-fuel-latte/

I found that a plain fatty coffee didn't really substitute for a meal for me. I tried a straight up Bulletproof style coffee like the original recipe (but with my own coffee beans) one day and was SO HUNGRY and my stomach was in knots. I do, however, have it for a morning fat bomb to get my brain going, but I pair it with some bacon and eggs usually.

-T.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    Teneko wrote: »
    Sometimes I use a Rocket Fuel Latte instead of breakfast. This morning I made it with coffee, 1 Tbsp coconut oil, 1 Tbsp cacao butter, 2 Tbsp hemp seeds, 1 Tbsp Great Lakes Gelatin.
    Calories: 408
    Carbs: 2
    Fiber: 2
    Fat: 38
    Protein: 18

Original recipe source: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2015/04/rocket-fuel-latte/

I found that a plain fatty coffee didn't really substitute for a meal for me. I tried a straight up Bulletproof style coffee like the original recipe (but with my own coffee beans) one day and was SO HUNGRY and my stomach was in knots. I do, however, have it for a morning fat bomb to get my brain going, but I pair it with some bacon and eggs usually.

-T.

Oh wow, i love the look of this - and her other 3 rocket fuel latte recipes. I'll give these a go and see if they keep me satisfied and functioning better for longer than regular BPC. Thanks Teneko.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I still haven't tried it, but I really can't imagine it'd fill me up better than food. Interested though, because I love creamy drinks.
    And actually I am more interested in trying the rocket fuel latte, but I was scouring the internet looking for where I could buy the ingredients... and they're all ridiculously expensive and out of my budget right now.
    If anyone has resources where I could find cacao butter and collagen (?! I'd probably forego that anyway) please let me know :)
  • aspiedude
    aspiedude Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do my BPC for breakfast instead of skipping it. I use a cup of coffee, 1 T. Cold expelled coconut oil, 1 T. Kerrygold butter, sometimes a packet of Stevia in the Raw, and blend on high in a Vitamix until I get a nice foam. Enjoy. I've only done it a few times because my mom drank the rest of my coffee :( but I got more so it's a go for tomorrow. Thus, can't really comment on effects.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i LOVE my butter coffee..I call it that as I dont follow the BPC recipe. I bought a wonderful bottle of MCT oil just recently as I initially didn't grasp why it was added to the coffee. This MCT has such great flavor I just have it 1 tbl at the same time, not in the coffee. I j read that butter gives fat that takes hunger away for longer, and MCT give instant energy via its fat..so makes sense to have both.

I see the butter coffee as the 'break fast' but since there is no sugar or carbs, protein it is NOT "food" just a way to kickstart my day..and I usually eat something 2-4 hours later depending on schedule.

I usually make a large shake every morning- 3 cups unsweet almond milk/spinach/berries/Sun Warrior hemp protein, stevia, maybe kale, or added collagen powder, and blend well…this gives me quick protein and nutrition, and makes 3 servings, so I keep the blender in the fridge and just grab a cup as I go. I am on a SLP diet- for my wonky kidney- so having easy digestible hemp protein powder works for me. my focus is now on what veggies to eat, and not on protein anymore, so switching to a plant based diet- with eggs & dairy, NOT vegan, makes life easy. In fact too easy to consume too many fats since I am not having carbs or average protein.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have the BPC for breakfast. Mine is 1tbsp unsalted butter, 1 tbsp hwc, 1 tbsp coconut oil in 1 cup coffee. I find keeps me full far longer than food for breakfast. I also add extra in on days when my protein seemed high & wanted more fats to stay keto (according to flexibleketo calculator).
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I will drink coffee for breakfast if I am not ready to eat yet. Or I will replace lunch with it if I have eaten breakfast because I'm not hungry for more food. Or sometimes I'll just have coffee for both meals if I am feeling particularly lazy. Caffeine is an appetite suppressant, and couple that with the low carb decreased appetite and the calories from the fat, and many people can just keep going without any other food for quite some time. If I pair mine with a healthy dose of salt at breakfast (two or three slices of bacon, say, or a mug of buttered broth) I am easily full until it's time to start making dinner, but by then I'm REALLY ready to eat. I don't care for salted butter in my coffee, and I really need that extra hit of salt for the staying power, but if I plan on eating lunch I usually don't bother.
  • aspiedude
    aspiedude Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Okay, this is ridiculous. I just had one about 30 minutes ago and now I feel like I could eat everything in the house. I wasn't this hungry before. Total opposite effect.
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to have my BPC in the morning. Its become a habit with me and it helps me get energized to start my day. Yummy!