Sweet cravings

Options
martermit
martermit Posts: 2 Member
I recently started lchf diet and am down approx. 6 lbs in 3 weeks. I have found ways to curb my salty, crunchy cravings (I was a BIG fan of chips) but now I'm looking for easy ways to curb those sweet cravings. I tried chocolate peanut butter fat bombs and they are . . . Ok. But I need something else. I like a sweet treat after dinner. Anyone have any simple ideas?

Replies

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Good dark chocolate!
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't really crave sweets any more, but I think the sugar free syrups are pretty sweet. Maybe try that in your coffee or tea?
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    I would recommend easing off the sweet gradually and possibly trying to reduce carbs, since that will change your tastebuds and take away the cravings for sweet, which can lead to more cravings and potentially eating more. At least that has been my experience. Right now if I eat one fresh cherry, that's enough for me. Now that I am ZC some cheeses even taste sweet for me.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    +1 to dark chocolate. And berries. Or both together. :)
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I made a cheesecake recipe and divided the batter among 6 individual cups. It hits the spot. I don't crave sweets too much, but it's delicious and a good way to get my fat in. The plus side is that it also fills me up. I suppose that's my "fat bomb". Canned pumpkin mixed with cream cheese, Splenda, cinnamon and nutmeg is also good. It tastes just like pumpkin pie filling.
  • martermit
    martermit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Great ideas. :)
  • Soon2BeMrsSherriff
    Soon2BeMrsSherriff Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I do sugar free chocolate pudding. Quite yummy actually
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Dark chocolate that is at least 70% cacao. Squashes all cravings for me, and I'm addicted to sugar
    Oh, and sugar free jello.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I do heavy cream whipped with cocoa powder and a little stevia
  • parkdad73
    parkdad73 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Sugar-Free gum was my solution.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    You can also make a chocolate ganache with dark chocolate and heavy cream... it's a good way to satisfy your sweet tooth and get some extra fat in.
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I used to have horrible cravings. Thankfully now with a mostly zero carb diet..i only crave sweets when I have diet soda. It is my downfall so I really try to avoid. I used to be so jealous of people who can have sweets (even faux sweets) and not get set off on a binge!

Low carb cheesecake was one of my favorites back years ago when I tried the sweets with a lc chocolate sauce and blueberries.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I do heavy cream whipped with cocoa powder and a little stevia

Be sure you get the Special Dark cocoa - or the really good quality stuff (my grocer only has generic, toll house, or hershey's - at least with the special dark you get better flavor - all the Ghiradelli here is sweetened - BLECH... I've recently found that a stevia packet and a splenda packet together sweeten as much or more than 4 packets of either. Helps me keep those unnecessary powder carbs down, too.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I do sugar free chocolate pudding. Quite yummy actually

Ooh, could i have your recipe please? We dont really have pudding in the UK (other than it being what we call dessert in general). I wonder if its like Angels Delight? I used to like that but couldnt eat it now - too fake.

• _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I was a sweet fanatic. I knew the daily rotation of cupcakes at each bakery in town. I lived off of carbs. I was able to lose a good chunk of weight by CICO. Then it stopped falling off and I was still controlled by sugar. I started LCHF May 4th and this is no lie, by the end of May I could care less about sweets. The only sweets I truly crave still are fruit. I see watermelon, pineapple, apples, etc and think about how good they would taste. However, I have found I only crave them when I'm thirsty. Once I drink ice cold water the craving goes away. I never, in a million years, thought I would be able to give up something that consumed my life.
  • JustMe2C
    JustMe2C Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I haven't really craved sweets either, but after posting my dinner last night I realized I was wayyyy under my calorie intake and macros and was in the mood for something a "little different". I whipped up some cheesecake filling, ate a small portion (all the while worrying that it would make me want more and more sweets) and Man-Oh-Man, was it good!!! That little bit satisfied me and all was good with the world. heh heh
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I still get some sweet cravings but im only at the very beginning of my ketosis journey and already it is easy to avoid anything with sugar and sub it for a stevia/sucralose/erythritol sweetened homemade keto dessert, like cheesecake or a mug cake or w/e. So i dont exactly crave sugary things anymore, but i do still crave keto desserts quite strongly.
  • crystalsan726
    crystalsan726 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I still have the sweet cravings one thing that has really helped me is the atkins bars like the cookies and cream bar or the chocolate chip cookie dough bar when I am craving chocolate, candy bars, and cookies really bad. Also fruit helps me some too. Best of luck we will conquer this sugar beast!
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Rasberries are low in carbs, about 1carb/berry. I have 10 of these and add whipped cream with some stevia in it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    If I crave sweets, junk, or anything else carby - I stuff the urge with fat first. Most of the time that cures it... I find that it is that ingrained, knee-jerk reaction. Also, a piece of sugarless gum (go with a flavor you can barely tolerate) or barely sweetened tea to keep the reactions down... Also, in another thread, we discussed that a chocolate craving can sometimes indicate a magnesium deficiency...so remember that the body gets wires crossed for the best way to fulfill nutrient needs.

And if the craving is in your head and not your body/stomach, finding ways to get around it or ignore it are the best ways to quiet that voice as much as possible.