Looking for advice

Options
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for some advice. In mid March I started NROLFW doing 3 workouts a week and had set my calories according to their formula which came out to 1968 calories. I did that for a few weeks and saw almost no difference. I then tried cutting my calories to 1600 for about 2 weeks and started to see about 1lb a week in losses but I was tired and really did want to eat more. I then found this group and used the Scooby calculator and came out with 1995 (Wt 158, Ht 65", age 27, 3-5 hrs of moderate exercise, and a 15% cut). I did this for about 3 weeks still with really no difference in the scale or with measurements. For the last week I have been at 2220 since I decided to change my activity level to 5-6 hours a week of exercise. I was thinking of changing my cut to 10% instead of 15% since I have read 15% is the highest cut recommended. If I do that I will be at 2351. With following a 40/30/30 ratio that's 176 grams a day of protein. That seems like a lot and makes me wonder if the ratio should change with higher calorie amounts? I haven't gained any weight through this process and have only lost about 1" overall since March. I feel like I might have firmed up some but would like to see a little faster results. I want to figure out what I need to do to lose inches consistently even if its slow, which looking at other posts that seems to be upping calories. I also want to make sure I'm doing the best I can with my diet, I do measure everything in grams and try to be as accurate as possible. Before this I wasn't on a calorie restricted diet, I basically ate what I wanted and I'm guessing was about 2500 a day which I was very very slowly gaining on, I also did not exercise before this except snowboarding once a week. Sorry for such a long post, I'm just staring to get frustrated with all of the guessing I have done with my numbers. I don't think I need a reset since it has been years since I followed a low calorie diet for more than a week or two at a time. So my two questions are, what carb/fat/protein ratio do you recommend? I want to set my protein to 25% which is 147 grams a day, I'm just not sure what fat/carbs should be set at as I up my calories. Also, does anyone have any ideas why I'm not losing inches or suggestions on what to change?

Thanks!

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,950 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    To me it sounds like 1968/1995 is your maintenance calories. Which sounds right to me based on age and height. But I suppose it could be low... depends on the effort of your exercise I suppose.

I usually see a recommendation for 40/30/30% split for macros (p/f/c) but you can play with that.

Other people much more knowledgeable than me can probably help better. And I'll be watching those responses... since I'm the same age and height as you.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    You just started all of this, including exercising which will mask weight loss with water weight gain. You have to stick with all of this for more than a few weeks before making major changes. I would go with the 2351 calories and hold on to this for at least a month to see what happens - you will either remain the same, lose or gain, but do hold it at least a month if not two...but you truly only have to eat .8 grams of protein per lean muscle mass (in other words, if you know around what body fat % you have, you can figure out your lean muscle mass). I'm 5'6", 146 lb and 46 years old - I eat a cut of 10% which is 2150 and get about 110 grams of protein daily.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You just started all of this, including exercising which will mask weight loss with water weight gain. You have to stick with all of this for more than a few weeks before making major changes. I would go with the 2351 calories and hold on to this for at least a month to see what happens - you will either remain the same, lose or gain, but do hold it at least a month if not two...but you truly only have to eat .8 grams of protein per lean muscle mass (in other words, if you know around what body fat % you have, you can figure out your lean muscle mass). I'm 5'6", 146 lb and 46 years old - I eat a cut of 10% which is 2150 and get about 110 grams of protein daily.

This is great advice here. Anything you do has to be done for more than a few weeks to really see changes. A reset to find your best estimated of TDEE can't hurt, but seeing that you haven't been on a super restrictive diet previous, it shouldn't be necessary. Shoot for the calculated TDEE and 10% cut. Try 0.8g x bodyweight, 0.3g x bodyweight for fat and fill in the rest with carbs. 126g/47g/356g (p/f/c)