Calorie counting?

Options
Jaimsterr
Jaimsterr Posts: 2 Member
Today was day 5 of my low carb diet!
So far, so good and I am feeling fantastic!
I'm using MFP to track my carbs, but of course it has calculated how many calories, fats, etc. I should be consuming. I have quite a bit of weight I would like to lose, and MFP has me at 1,600 calories per day.
Should I be watching calories as well?
Usually I end my days at roughly 2,000 calories with 3 meals & 2 snacks, so I'm not going overboard.
And, is there anything else I should be careful to keep an eye on? Thank you!

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about calories for the first couple of weeks. Just get settled in with low carb eating. But in the long run, IMO, calories will count.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I second this ^^^^
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Low carb (like any other diet) is not a magic formula. If you eat 10,000 calories a day you will gain weight, no matter what those calories consist of. Low carb will help you feel fuller for longer because of the satiety and nutrient density of the foods you are eating, however, sometimes it takes a while for your brain to catch up with your stomach. I would suggest counting calories until you get used to what 2000 calories a day looks like and your body adjusts to your new WOE. It's also a way of tracking your intake to figure out what truly works for you. I find that MFP always puts my calories too low... it set mine at around 1200 calories a day to lose 2lbs a week, but I'm losing close to that at 1500. In the end, it's about trial and error and finding out what works for you.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Yeah

Give it a week to get used to your new eating pattern. Then start tweaking your intake and exercise to something you can live on and not feel too tired or hungry

It has to last long term and let you have a chance to succeed!

I have settled in on 1690 calories for my average weight loss week. I find MFP gives me too many burn off calories for exercise, so I also watch how many I eat back.

Time and paying attention to your body will help you find the balance that works for you.

I have a great nutrition and exercise plan. It works great when I eat the right amount of food. I lose weight!

But I can over eat for my activity level as cause it to stall out.

Desk job does not help my cause!

Peace
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I think calories in < calories out is an important aspect of any weightloss plan; low-carb is no different in my mind. To ensure weight loss its often necessary to weigh and log everything you eat/drink so that you know exactly what you're consuming and become educated regards portion sizes, food choices etc. Macros are also very important on low-carb diets, perhaps even more so. Logging is key for me to getting these right.

In the first few days of going low-carb i would eat up to maintenance calories only if necessary (hunger, lack of energy, feeling ill etc). I would be strict with my carbs though - choose a maximum amount of grams per day and dont go over that. If you need extra satiation whilst adjusting to low-carb choose high fat medium protein snacks. Alll the time, even if you go over your calories, log log log. I find its the best way to be in control of everything that goes in your mouth from the start.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Log the calories, but worry about your carb cap and eat based on your hunger cues (assuming you don't have a medical issue that prevents your cues from signaling, in which case then you can use the keto calculator to figure out how many as a guide). Some days you'll be over, some days you'll be under, but if you eat quality food products, you will probably find it averages out over time to something very reasonable.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    I too recommend just focusing on carb counting for the first few weeks. And as long as you can sustain that until you stop losing. After that point, many people find it necessary to count calories. I've had to do that for 9 mo now. Also, visit the ankerl keto calculator and check your suggested macros. That's something to keep an eye on every once and awhile, even if you are just carb counting. IMO, finding out the appropriate protein range for you is important. And knowing your estimated BMR and maintenance-calorie level, is helpful info to have as well.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm just worried about counting carbs. I was logging my food for like a week, eating around 2500 cals a day, and managed to stick to low carb, moderate protein and high fat. Everything seems to be moving along fine. If I were to track calories again, I think I'd go insane... but that's just me! They do count and don't magically disappear because we're eating low carb. I say after the first month or so, count calories if you find that suits you and your goals.
  • danidanibobani
    danidanibobani Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My plan is to only log calories occasionally. I have tracked calories and points for far too much of my life. I need to be free of it on a regular basis. I pay attention to carbs.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    There are many threads on this here. I wish there was a good search function. But, the general consensus is that there is no consensus. Some of us don't count at all, and have success. Others need to count to have success. For April, we had a no counting challenge run for the month. I forget if there were any definitive results aside from find what works for you.

My advice? Don't be afraid to try it without counting for a while. You may be pleasantly surprised.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about calories for the first couple of weeks. Just get settled in with low carb eating. But in the long run, IMO, calories will count.

+1

ETA: The people that I try to watch are those similar to me who have had success. Those about my age (and therefore perimenopausal or of similar hormonal make-up) , female, with a similar amount of weight to lose who have been successful watch both carbs and calories (and eat a relatively boring diet). That's what I try to emulate.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I am counting calories loosely, I don't use a food scale and estimate a lot of the time, but I am finding that I am most often under my calorie goal eating this way and feeling satisfied and full on less. Before I was always having to juggle to try to meet my goal and often wishing I could eat more. And, the scale is now moving, so not only do I feel more satisfied, feel physically better in so many ways, I'm starting to see visible progress.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    While it will still come down to calories, whether or not you track them is really up to you. More specifically, I'd base it on how you feel about tracking calories and whether or not you succeed with/without tracking.

If low carb dieting gives you a substantial boost to satiety (which it does for many but not all people) then there's at least a good chance that you can have some success without tracking, and if it's easier/less stress to do it without tracking then that would be a big win.

Just understand that tracking is a behavior that allows you to attempt to monitor calorie intake and that calorie intake matters a great deal -- but tracking calories and eating a reasonable number of calories are not the same thing.
  • professionalHobbyist
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    While it will still come down to calories, whether or not you track them is really up to you. More specifically, I'd base it on how you feel about tracking calories and whether or not you succeed with/without tracking.

If low carb dieting gives you a substantial boost to satiety (which it does for many but not all people) then there's at least a good chance that you can have some success without tracking, and if it's easier/less stress to do it without tracking then that would be a big win.

Just understand that tracking is a behavior that allows you to attempt to monitor calorie intake and that calorie intake matters a great deal -- but tracking calories and eating a reasonable number of calories are not the same thing.

Ha!

This makes me laugh!

I so relate to it.

I would buy a bag of reduced fat chips.

Eat the whole bag!

I counted calories alright. Just not the ones I was eating.
  • craziecritter
    craziecritter Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am keeping up with my calories but not as much as I am the carbs. Carbs first than calories is what I am doing. I'm on 30 carbs 1200 calories. Trying to stay around 22 for carbs.
  • giftbouquets
    giftbouquets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am not counting calories because I find whenever I do I become obsessed with food and it is counterproductive. I am even reluctant to count carbs for same reason. I have stopped eating grains, potatoes, sugar and processed food and have been tracking for these initial weeks just to make sure I am below 100 gms. Plan to stop tracking now I have a good idea of what I can eat. Think this is the best approach for me as I need to see this as a long term WOE and not a 'diet'..
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I am not counting calories because I find whenever I do I become obsessed with food and it is counterproductive. I am even reluctant to count carbs for same reason. I have stopped eating grains, potatoes, sugar and processed food and have been tracking for these initial weeks just to make sure I am below 100 gms. Plan to stop tracking now I have a good idea of what I can eat. Think this is the best approach for me as I need to see this as a long term WOE and not a 'diet'..

^^^^THIS^^^^^ I want to get to this point. For now I am tracking things since I am a relative newbie, but once I get the hang of things, this is what i want to do.
  • AMPie73
    AMPie73 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with this. I hope to eventually get to the point that I can keep my calories and carbs where they need to be without having to track everything because the thought of tracking for the rest of my life isn't a pleasant one. That being said, if that's what it takes to keep the weight off and stay healthy then I am prepared to do it.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    When I was heavier I didn't worry so much about calories, but the less weight I had to lose, I realized I had no idea how many calories I was actually eating. When I wasn't counting calories, I struggled to get below 172. If I did, it was for a day and I'd bounce back up again. I was 165.8 this morning. So I think when you get to a certain point in your journey tracking calories does matter.
  • professionalHobbyist
    Options
    Those closer I get to target weight the more counting calories and counting exercise burn off matters.

When I was over 325 lbs it was easy to lose weight. Now it is a bit tougher.

But I'm better at shopping smart :)

I buy 3/4 pound packs of chicken breast or cutlets. It makes it just cook and eat!