Let's discuss it all. Welcome home.

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Apologies in advance for the lack of a picture...

Had the most amazing "Blizzard" from a local drive-in type ice cream stand this weekend.

"Whippy Dip" in Decorah Iowa. Go there. Now.

I ordered their version of the "Blizzard" (aka a "tornado") I got cookie dough and peanut butter cup mix ins.

So I knew it was going to be good, when a "small" started with the gal opening up a package of peanut butter cups and placing BOTH of them at the bottom of the cup. Then, she opened up a bucket of home-made cookie dough and used a small scoop to scoop out serving of REAL cookie dough (not those frozen fake little balls of cookie dough that most places use). What little room was left in the cup was filled with their soft-serve ice cream.

And then...just when you thought it couldn't get better...

After it was mixed in...they serve it topped with ANOTHER scoop of cookie dough and another peanut butter cup on top.

As a side note, they also have an amazing local craft brewery there "Toppling Goliath"...also highly recommended.

So it's basically cookie dough and peanut butter cups with a bit of ice cream? lol. It does sound amazing. But gosh the calories.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    TDJ2326 wrote: »

Had the most amazing "Blizzard" from a local drive-in type ice cream stand this weekend.

I ordered their version of the "Blizzard" (aka a "tornado") I got cookie dough and peanut butter cup mix ins.

So I knew it was going to be good, when a "small" started with the gal opening up a package of peanut butter cups and placing BOTH of them at the bottom of the cup. Then, she opened up a bucket of home-made cookie dough and used a small scoop to scoop out serving of REAL cookie dough (not those frozen fake little balls of cookie dough that most places use). What little room was left in the cup was filled with their soft-serve ice cream.

After it was mixed in...they serve it topped with ANOTHER scoop of cookie dough and another peanut butter cup on top.

As a side note, they also have an amazing local craft brewery there "Toppling Goliath"...also highly recommended.

So many words. So few pictures. You give me the sad!!!!
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I had cake. Yummy cake. With Bavarian creme. No turtles were harmed.

ickl0kkgwjjy.jpg

We had that exact same Ninja Turtle cake for my son's 4th birthday I think. The cake topper is still on display on the nightstand. Ours wasn't Bavarian creme though. Jealous of that...

It's just so weird to see Ninja Turtles stuff coming back around.

I think TMNT is on it's 3rd or 4th iteration judging by what we find on YouTube. It came out when I was a kid in the 80s, but then there was another incarnation in the 90s, then I think the early 2000s, so apparently every decade it gains a new following. We've been entrenched in TMNT for about 2 years now and literally I thought we could not own any more merchandise, but they keep coming out with new characters or new versions of the same characters. Battle Mikey, regular Mikey, acro Mikey...

The frightening thing is that my kids aren't actually that into it anymore, we are on to Star Wars. Gee, no merchandise to purchase there...

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

So many words. So few pictures. You give me the sad!!!!

I know I know...the thought occurred to me about 1/2 way through it "Oh fartknuckles...I forgot to take a pic of this for the ice cream group"

I considered ordering another just to take a pic :)

However, I shall gracefully accept my demerits for failing to do so.
    Francl27 wrote: »

So it's basically cookie dough and peanut butter cups with a bit of ice cream? lol. It does sound amazing. But gosh the calories.

Don't get me wrong, there was enough ice cream in there to make it awesome. But yeah, it was certainly a 'I can't fit this into my calories every day' type of treat.
  • Francl27
    Options
    What is it? I'm asking because I keep seeing people saying that fudge pops are awesome but I had one and... just nope. Tasteless and bland and a waste of calories, lol. Would love to hear of a good brand though!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    So ya'll know how to eat better than anyone else I know. Anyone have any recommendations for St Petersburg/Tampa, Florida? Doesn't matter what kind of food, I'm open.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Totally not ice cream but definitely something I look forward to every year.

Homemade shortcakes with fresh strawberries from my garden. Topped off with a splash of half and half. u7aqorpvmbsu.jpg
    image.jpg 1018.6K
  • Francl27
    Options

Homemade shortcakes with fresh strawberries from my garden. Topped off with a splash of half and half. u7aqorpvmbsu.jpg

Not helping my strawberry shortcake craving.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

We've already done that (with berries from a farmer's market that ended up being way sweeter than the ones we usually get at a strawberry farm).
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    So ya'll know how to eat better than anyone else I know. Anyone have any recommendations for St Petersburg/Tampa, Florida? Doesn't matter what kind of food, I'm open.

I was in Tampa years ago and only remember one restaurant:

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com

It may be touristy but it's supposedly the oldest restaurant in Florida. I don't remember the food but it was a neat place.

Otherwise I agree, seafood all the way in FLA.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Thanks, Karen.

I guess I am wanting specific restaurants if anyone has any.. I already live on the coast and we don't eat a ton of seafood but it's around. It's not like when I was a kid, where going to Florida meant eating a bunch of shrimp because that's the only time we could get the good stuff.

That said, we actually haven't had seafood in ages and now I kind of want some. :laugh:
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    Had to rush out this AM for coffee creamer and decided to pick up an old standby - Tillamook Marionberry Pie. Noticed that Breyer's Blast's were available at 2 for $7 and went with a girl scouts theme.

r9r993lorpvd.jpg

And a warm welcome (or welcome back) to the kitty cat!

Have you eaten those Breyer's before?

If no, potential warning: that samoas frozen dairy dessert is, by far, the most disgusting "ice cream" I've ever had the displeasure of eating. It was so horrendous we decided to trash it after the first taste.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Had to rush out this AM for coffee creamer and decided to pick up an old standby - Tillamook Marionberry Pie. Noticed that Breyer's Blast's were available at 2 for $7 and went with a girl scouts theme.

r9r993lorpvd.jpg

If no, potential warning: that samoas frozen dairy dessert is, by far, the most disgusting "ice cream" I've ever had the displeasure of eating. It was so horrendous we decided to trash it after the first taste.

Yeah it wasn't that great. As much as I love Samoas, I wasn't that impressed by that one. We didn't trash it, but I think my husband finished it.
  • malibu927
    Options

r9r993lorpvd.jpg

Ugh, I've never cared for Breyer's. They should return to their partnership with Edy's.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Our Harris Teeter carries Turkey Hill now. I didn't see any exciting flavors yet though.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any brand recs for chocolate chip cookie dough? I don't want another Talenti experience.
  • malibu927
    Options
    Does anyone have any brand recs for chocolate chip cookie dough? I don't want another Talenti experience.

Edy's or Homemade (I think, I haven't had theirs in a long long time)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Milk and Cookies, Half Baked and the Tonight Dough all have cookie dough. Those are all Ben and Jerry's.

Milk and Cookies is a vanilla base with a swirl of cookie dough and oreo. That was my favorite for a long time. The base isn't exciting, imo, but one thing B&J does really well is mix-ins. I believe Half Baked is brownie and cookie dough. The Tonight Dough is like Milk and Cookies but with a chocolate base and I think it has some peanut butter cookie dough too.

I haven't tried any other brands. The calorie count on all of the above is going to be high.

I'm actually kind of dying to try my own version with my brown butter chocolate chip cookie dough. I haven't tried the ice cream thing since early last summer. Maybe when Mr. Acrylics gets home-- I feel like we should clean out some of what's in the freezer first.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Milk and Cookies, Half Baked and the Tonight Dough all have cookie dough. Those are all Ben and Jerry's.

Milk and Cookies is a vanilla base with a swirl of cookie dough and oreo. That was my favorite for a long time. The base isn't exciting, imo, but one thing B&J does really well is mix-ins. I believe Half Baked is brownie and cookie dough. The Tonight Dough is like Milk and Cookies but with a chocolate base and I think it has some peanut butter cookie dough too.

I haven't tried any other brands. The calorie count on all of the above is going to be high.

I'm actually kind of dying to try my own version with my brown butter chocolate chip cookie dough. I haven't tried the ice cream thing since early last summer. Maybe when Mr. Acrylics gets home-- I feel like we should clean out some of what's in the freezer first.

Amber that sounds awesome!

My husband and oldest son picked up some sweets at a local coffee shop/bakery yesterday. Nothing was über pic worthy but they got:

Lemon Bar (we all split that- super tart and crust seemed under baked)
    Two giant peanut butter cookies
    Chocolate chunk cookie
    Salted chocolate cookie
    Assorted macarons. I think I have decided I really don't like macarons. They are pretty, but so expensive, and I've never had one that I just loved. I'd much rather have the giant chocolate chunk cookie than a couple fancy macarons...