Magnesium

Options
AMPie73
AMPie73 Posts: 23 Member
I have seen magnesium recommended to help with insulin resistance. Anyone have any experience with it? Beneficial? Weird side effects? I take heart medications and my cardiologist says there aren't any known interactions so I'm thinking about trying it but thought I would see what the feeling is from the trenches. Thx!

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I eat nuts and chocolate, which should be high in Mg. Who knows if it helps. I don't have any symptoms of hypomagnesemia, so I guess it must.

Studies do support the idea that low Mg is associated with IR and T2D, especially in women. It's a cofactor needed by enzymes used by insulin receptors, so you need enough of it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16132709
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    My experience: I take magnesium citrate (better absorption), powdered form, as needed. It helps when electrolytes are out of whack due to dehydration, and symptoms such as muscle cramping or a general feeling of ickiness is present. I'll mix about a half tsp up to one tsp into a beverage and take it that way. I'm about 6 months into keto at this point though, and am not finding the need to take this daily any longer. The only side effect that I know of is if you take too much at once it has a mild to moderate laxative effect. HTH!
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've been taking magnesium for probably a month (I don't know the dosage off the top of my head and I'm at work so I can't check). I read an article about the plethora of things it helps improve. Coincidentally, I'd been getting muscle cramps too. I have noticed a slight improvement in fatigue and my calves cramping in the morning, and I personally have not noticed any side effects. The key word here is "noticed" because I haven't done any experiments looking for correlations.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I am insulin resistant, I am magnesium deficient, my endocrinologist knows I'm supplementing, but gave me no direction in extra magnesium to help and didn't mention a connection. But too much magnesium (and taking it during the day) gave me the sleepies, like I hadn't had since starting this WOE. I used to pass out after ever meal and had gotten written up for sleeping at work and all that, so I can't afford that complication.

Also, I mentioned in another post that I'd been having horrible headaches, but I changed the magnesium and a few other things so I'm not sure what might have contributed as I'm two days headache free so far...

So just be careful on dosage. 500 mg is recommended by my doc for blood pressure (but it only helps a few points so not worth it from that side for me), and it made me mess myself in my sleep, but I was taking 500 mg oxide 3 days in a row. I've since switch to Citrate, 135 mg, but I think I might seek a higher dose next time... Too much info in all directions...

But a lot of research shows that just as many folks are deficient in magnesium as vitamin d, but most don't know it, due to things like soil depletion and all kinds of randomness...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Chocolate cravings can indicate a magnesium deficiency.

I'm thinking of ordering Potassium & Magnesium Aspartate next time I place an order on iherb: http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-K-Mag-Aspartate-120-Tablets/1372

Here's an article on the different types of magnesium: https://drnibber.com/understanding-different-types-of-magnesium/

Magnesium Aspartate: This form has increased bioavailability compared to oxide and citrate. There were some promising clinical trials conducted in the 1960s that found a combination of magnesium and potassium aspartates had a positive effect on fatigue and they reduced muscle hyper-excitability.2 Physiologically this makes sense since both magnesium and aspartic acid are critical players in cellular energy production. This form is not commonly found but has been used for chronic fatigue syndrome.
  • AMPie73
    AMPie73 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Supposedly magnesium glycinate is less likely to have a laxative effect than the citrate but causes sleepiness. I think my husband will kill me if I fall asleep on the couch any earlier than I already do, so I think I may take my chances with the "laxative effect" of the citrate, lol.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the iherb link. A couple days ago iherb saved me about $40 over the same items from Amazon. The reviews for the K-Mag Aspartate were mostly positive.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I'm almost out of my magnesium. I might have to give this a try... Any others have feedback on it?

Also, that makes a lot of sense, @kshama2001 because I've been struggling with bones/joint/muscle pain and supplementing with magnesium, and I've been chocolate craving like mad, and not just for the sweet hit, either - like a craving for eggs - my body needs the nutrition (funny how I can usually tell the difference these day)... Guess I won't fight it as much.

I usually do dark cocoa powder, a teensy bit of sweetener, whipped into heavy cream, but worry about the carbs. Might have to try softening some butter or something to cut the carbs further.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    iherb's about 30% cheaper than Whole Foods. I get my shampoo and soap there too.
  • Meeezonajourney
    Meeezonajourney Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I take magnesium at bed time. Helps me sleep and gets things moving in the AM. I know TMI but it works!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Gnulie wrote: »
    I take magnesium at bed time. Helps me sleep and gets things moving in the AM. I know TMI but it works!

I've been doing this for years. I spent a lifetime trying to eat more high fiber grains, blah blah blah,and just got more constipated. Someone suggested magnesium citrate and bam. I'm a regular as hubs!