Question regarding too few calories and matching my macros?

Options
mousie1973
mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
Hi all,
I am having a problem with the fact that I am consistently under the 1780 calories (by like 500-600 calories) I am trying figure out how to balance the extra calories with matching my macros...

I am trying to figure out how to match my macros with the calories... but keeping in my lower carbs...

my diary is open, feel free to look and let me know what you all think, see if there is anything i might be able to tweak?

I am 42
female
5'8"
and CW is 286
my Goal calories is 1780...

Thanks!

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    It looks like the days that you've gone over your carb limit, your sugar has also been quite high. If you can cut back on the sugars and starches you'll have an easier time fitting your macros. You could also add more healthy fats to your diet like olive oil or grass fed butter... these will help keep you full and give you some extra calories.
  • mousie1973
    Options
    Thanks for the response! :) I just got some olive oil so i will start adding that in and some more butter which will give me the fats i need (I am usually low on fats I have noticed)
  • jrosto
    jrosto Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I would add more veggies and totally cut out the fruit during the weight loss phase of your plan.

Broccoli, leafy greens, salad greens, cauliflower will all add bulk and nutrients without adding too many carbs.

Are you trying to keep your carbs below 50 gr/day to get into Ketosis? If so, definitely cut out the fruit.

Right now I would probably increase your protein to a goal of 130 or 140 gr/day, set your carbs at the gr/day you want. Keep them where they are if your goal is Ketosis, increase to maybe 70 / day if you are not interested in being in Ketosis. Then set your fat grams to make up the rest of the cals. You may need to use a protein supplement to meet your protein goals.

I would add a probiotic, either a fermented food or a supplement. Changing your diet like this will result in major changes to your gut biome, very good changes :) Helping that along with probiotics will really help you achieve your goals.

Congratulations on getting started on this path, you have some awesome successes ahead of you.

• mousie1973
    Options
    jrosto wrote: »
    I would add more veggies and totally cut out the fruit during the weight loss phase of your plan.

Broccoli, leafy greens, salad greens, cauliflower will all add bulk and nutrients without adding too many carbs.

Are you trying to keep your carbs below 50 gr/day to get into Ketosis? If so, definitely cut out the fruit.

Right now I would probably increase your protein to a goal of 130 or 140 gr/day, set your carbs at the gr/day you want. Keep them where they are if your goal is Ketosis, increase to maybe 70 / day if you are not interested in being in Ketosis. Then set your fat grams to make up the rest of the cals. You may need to use a protein supplement to meet your protein goals.

I would add a probiotic, either a fermented food or a supplement. Changing your diet like this will result in major changes to your gut biome, very good changes :) Helping that along with probiotics will really help you achieve your goals.

Congratulations on getting started on this path, you have some awesome successes ahead of you.

Thanks JRosto... I am thinking of cutting out the fruit , and yeah I need to look into different veggies... I am getting bored with the ones i have been eating... we eat a bunch of cauliflower and I eat Broccoli a fair amount... I will look into adding more greens and such... and yes I am trying to keep my carbs below 50gr/day

thanks so much for your ideas and congrats on your huge success!
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    mousie1973 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am having a problem with the fact that I am consistently under the 1780 calories (by like 500-600 calories) I am trying figure out how to balance the extra calories with matching my macros...

I am trying to figure out how to match my macros with the calories... but keeping in my lower carbs...

my diary is open, feel free to look and let me know what you all think, see if there is anything i might be able to tweak?

I am 42
    female
    5'8"
    and CW is 286

Thanks!

I would consult with a registered dietitian/nutritionist. Explain what your goals are and your general eating habits. They should be able to help you figure out what will work best.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Mark's Daily Apple website has some good info on recommended daily carbs for weight loss or gain while Paleo/primal.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    mousie1973 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am 42
    female
    5'8"
    and CW is 286

Thanks!

I had that problem, and hit on the concept of "fat balls" -- these are high fat treats, although I treat them more as supplements than snacks or desserts. If I get to the end of the day and I'm short on calories, I'll eat a few of these, enough to make up the shortfall. My favorite version is made up of coconut oil, dried shredded coconut, and carob powder. No sweetener is needed. It's been a couple of weeks since I stirred up a batch, so I don't remember ratios. I think it's equal parts coconut oil and shredded coconut, and half as much carob, but I'm not completely sure. You can do a web search for "paleo fat bombs" and come up with recipes. I'd avoid the ones made with nuts or seeds (or butter made from these) or added sweeteners, though. Too many carbs.

Oh, and make sure the shredded, dried coconut is unsweetened. Unsulphured is a good idea, too.