? for women, what birth control wont make me gain weight

Options
13»

Replies

• andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    i have a mirena and i didn't gain anything.

i LOVE not having a period.

Same here...I'd recommend it anyday
  • xshortiex
    xshortiex Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've been on NuvaRing for about 6months with no side effects whatsoever, and no trouble losing weight. I love it.
  • vyanadevi
    vyanadevi Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Of course, I'm nearly 41 with 5 kids, but everything hormonal screwed me up. Weight & libido! So, my tubal and my husband's vasectomy have been PERFECT in relationship to those two issues!

^^^^ This. Maybe talk about the idea of a vasectomy.
  • nerolimoon
    nerolimoon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The only method of contraception that has been scientifically linked with weight gain is depo. There are fifteen different methods of contraception, so most people should be able to find a method which works for them with a bit of trial and error. The Family Planning Association website has a lot of high quality information about the various methods - why not google them? At the end of the day, correctly using effective contraception is the best way of avoiding an unplanned pregnancy - unless you want to go with abstinence of course!
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Condoms ;)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Pills don't make you gain weight. Calories do. BC pills have zero calories as far as i know...

Now they may increase your hunger or effect your hormones. But gaining weight depends on YOU.
  • KellyUK1987
    Options
    I'm on the Depo Injection, I think it's great!

I have gained weight, but I cannot be 100% sure if it is due to this contraception... as I ate extremely badly (McDonalds like twice a day and stuff like that). I was on this when I was 17, and I never gained weight then. I don't have periods, and I have a healthy sex drive.

In the past 9 months I've put on about 1KG of weight, but again this could be due to my eating habits.
    I'm eating healthier now, and exercising a LOT more than I used to. I weigh 189.8lbs currently, and am just starting the 30 Day Shred tomorrow, so will be weighing myself in 30 days time!

I think it'd dependant on the individual to be honest as there are different replies regarding the depo.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I'm on the low hormone Alesse/Aviane/Lutera (generic versions of the same thing) and I haven't had any issues except for the occasional spotting if I don't take the pills at the same time every day. My cramps have disappeared and although I have trouble losing, I didn't gain and the trouble losing is probably due to other factors.