Breaking up with the scale???

Options
angel073079
angel073079 Posts: 15 Member
So I had my VSG on 6/4 and I'm noticing I'm becoming a little scale obsessed. I'm weighing myself 1-2 times a day. I've already gone down a size between the pre-op and liquid diet. I'm afraid I'm developing a bad habit. Anyone else have issues? I'm thinking of throwing it away! I'm not sure if I'm ready to break up with my scale!

Replies

• sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I would at least put it away- have your significant other hide it if necessary. The scale has its place, but it is not the only indicator of weight loss. Especially as many VSG patients (myself included) have a really frustrating plateau that happens usually 3-6 weeks after surgery as your body adjusts. So maybe plan on just weighing weekly or monthly, so you'll see bigger drops. I'm also a big fan of doing your measurements as those can change even when your weight isn't moving.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I weigh daily, but I look at the change over the last week and last month each day to keep perspective, not fretting over the one day change as it fluctuates. Many people find daily weighing is too often, and if you're feeling you need to weigh several times a day you may be one of those people. I agree with sinderstorm - put the scale away - follow the plan, focus on the non-scale victories. Enjoy the progress and change you are experiencing!
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I found that I let my insecurities about normal fluctuations get to me, so now I weigh no more than 1-2 times per week (usually on Mondays and Thursdays). I don't keep a scale at home, so it's a bit easier not to obsess there. I will occasionally break out my wii fit scale and weigh there, but it's more to keep up with my weight goal tracking than getting obsessive.

It helped me tons - I just can't deal with going up and this helps me really show if I'm in a true stall vs. just normal fluctuations.
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I would at least put it away- have your significant other hide it if necessary. The scale has its place, but it is not the only indicator of weight loss.

couldn't agree more. I just check my weight once a week, normally first thing on Sunday mornings
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I am int he same camp as cabennett. I weigh daily (mostly) and just log the data. Seeing the ups and downs with no real change in input or exercise show the mystery of exactly how or body works. We don't know all of the things that are happening, we just pick a path and check the results.

If the daily ups and downs are too much for you, by all means put the scale away. Also, complement weighings with measurements and other ways of seeing yourself change. As Pawoodhull says, if something is going down, you are going the right way.

Stay cool and let your program work!

Rob
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I am breaking up with my scale this week - I have been in a 15 day stall, it's making me mental. I am not weighing for until Saturday - it's official! I am daily weigher and it needs to stop until the stall breaks...
  • lmryoung
    lmryoung Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I also weigh 1-2 times per day but I only log my weight on Sundays. There are times when I have to take a break from daily weighing, though, and those stalls are a prime example. I always try to keep in mind that the fluctuations from one day to the next are impacted by water levels and other mysterious body things as much as fat. As long as I can keep that in check I keep weighing. When I start to lose sight of it, I put the scale away. I don't have to hide it, I just have to make it inconvenient. Like putting it on the top shelf in the guest room closet. It gives me time to pause and think about whether or not it's a good idea rather than automatically stepping on it.

Joysie - I feel you, girl. That is such a painful experience!
  • lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I also weigh myself daily, but I only record my weight on Tuesdays. I think as long as you realize that there will be fluctuations daily ,ups, downs, and stalls, it's okay. But if you think it might be better to put it away for awhile because you feel like you are obsessing, then I think that's okay too! :)
  • angel073079
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think the problem is I'm in week two and I've hit a stall. I just asked my spouse to hide the scale for a little while. I'm going to start taking measurements instead. I have a check up on Friday and another in 6 weeks, I'll get my weight at those weigh-ins. Maybe after that I'll be ready to have my scale back.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sounds like you have it under control! Good job.
  • kglowins
    kglowins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've heard that people who weigh themselves daily tend to be more accountable for their food decisions throughout the day. I think you're fine as long as you don't let it consume your thoughts. It's good to be on top of things.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily along with logging my food and exercise. That daily reminder that I'm doing well even when the scale does not move motivates me to keep working on the weight loss, diet, and exercise.
  • Gleno97
    Gleno97 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have it figured out Angel. There is a lot of great info and extremely helpful and supportive people here. I am four weeks out of surgery and I too have just had a one week stall. It can really play with your mind. Good Luck.
  • Keikix3
    Keikix3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a replacement idea for you. Hide the scale and then do the food diary and print it out every day. I use the sheets as a kind of diary too, noting different things like went out to dinner, or a doctors apt. Doing this gives me a visual and satisifies ( I think) my obsessive side, like weighing twice a day might be too. I haven't had the surgery yet, so all o these posts are helpful to me. Good for you!!! Sounds like you are on the right path.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think the problem is I'm in week two and I've hit a stall. I just asked my spouse to hide the scale for a little while. I'm going to start taking measurements instead. I have a check up on Friday and another in 6 weeks, I'll get my weight at those weigh-ins. Maybe after that I'll be ready to have my scale back.

I hit the two week stall it lasted a little over week, it's hard when you're in it but like everyone says trust the process. I just came out of my second stall it lasted 16 days - someone on here I think may have been Janelle once said think of weight loss more like steps rather than a steady climb - that has helped me too (except when I am at day 15 of a stall LOL). We are human and old thoughts creep in, learning to trust and not get discouraged has probably been one of my biggest lessons.
  • angel073079
    Options
    You all are so great! Thanks! I know stalls would happen, but I just don't want my scale to determine my self-esteem anymore.
  • sleevedjaimi
    sleevedjaimi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You all are so great! Thanks! I know stalls would happen, but I just don't want my scale to determine my self-esteem anymore.

AMEN! I agree! We are more powerful than the scale. This week my weight didn't go down but that's ok because I am doing everything I am supposed to be doing.