Weight lifting

Options
sleevedjaimi
sleevedjaimi Posts: 12 Member
The great debate of lifting after bariatric surgery. How many of you regularly incorporate weights into your week? How many are against it? There's so many views on weight lifting. I've started lifting weights 4X a week (heavy weights) and incorporating some cardio into that. On the other 3 days I am doing strictly cardio. Anyone lifted weights and stalled losing for a bit, how long was your stall?

Just want to hear other's opinions!

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    As I got closer to goal, and needed fewer calories burned from my workouts, I reduced the cardio time and added in more weights. In hindsight, I wish I would have added weights earlier, I may have reduced the lean body mass lost. I'm not doing great at getting to the gym as often as I would like (I am aiming for 3x per week), but the summer is more active, so I am getting more outside time exercise. Hopefully after our really busy June, I will be able to get back on track and lift more.

I am aiming for 3 sets of 10 reps on the machines and a couple sets of (assisted) pullups. If I get into a three times per week routine, I plan to have one day be heavier weights, lower reps.

Edited to add: I haven't seen many advocating *not* lifting.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for this thread. My only type of exercise has been walking and running, and I've been wanting to incorporate weights in. I got a blister on my foot from some new dress shoes two days ago, and after (unwisely) running on it last night, I was bummed when I knew this morning that I need to lay off walking/running for a couple of days. Now I know exactly what to do - time to quit putting off the weights and just go do it.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I do both cardio and strength training. I have been doing the cardio since before I had my surgery, and I started using the machines at the gym several months after. I started working with a trainer after that, and I still do strength training, but it's more core-focused. I do cardio 5-6 times a week, and I try to do strength training 3 times a week.
  • sleevedjaimi
    sleevedjaimi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'm just worried that if I am so focused on lifting I won't lose the weight.
  • gaining_while_losing
    gaining_while_losing Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Even if you have a slight stall in your weight-loss, the benefits of lifting and the overall fat loss you will achieve is worth it!
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I try to walk, bike or do elliptical 5x week and since two months post op I've been lifting weights 3-4x week. I've been doing two sets of ten reps and I plan to bump that up to three sets soon. I am really enjoying the weight lifting, it feels great. While it's probably increased my muscle mass some, that's inconsequently compared to my overall weight loss. It's helped my balance as my center of gravity and gait have changed, it's strengthened muscles around arthritic knees and bad back helping resolve the chronic joint pain I used to have...I could go on. I believe weightlifting has had more positive impact on my emerging body than has aerobic excercise. I highly recommend weight lifting.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I started lifting as soon as I was cleared after my surgery. I do 50/50 weighs and cardio. I usually alternate days between weighs and running.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who had his RNY a few years ago. He told me to start weight lifting when I first mentioned that I was serious about the surgery. He believes that it really helped with "filling in the loose skin on his arms". Also, that you'll "really appreciate having stronger leg muscles when standing and squatting post-op." Of course that's antecdotal and YOMV.

My docs told me that I'll be able to return to my lifting program within 4 weeks post-op, as long as the stitches heal. Directly after surgery, they advise against lifting anything over 40#.
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yes! I tore my internal stitches at 2.5 weeks post-op, likely from lifting a 25# toddler. Wait 4 weeks to lift - the tearing is so painful!
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I do strength training 3 times a week normally, and do cardio 6 times a week. I had a arm lift in May and still waiting to get cleared to do weights again. My trainer said that weights is the best way to lose the fat, and I don't worry about what that scale says as my size is so much smaller.
  • TN_Tinker
    TN_Tinker Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 6 times a week and strength training 3 times a week. I do 2 sets of 15, hoping to move that to 3 sets in a week or so. I am 7 weeks out.
  • jillcwatson1
    jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    ok, I know that I should probably avoid asking this especially here among those that do weights regularly, but here goes. My son in law is into power lifting. Since I don't know much about it, and am trying to be a good (or better) mother in law, I thought that I would ask his advice on adding weights to my workout. He will be here in the coming week and I don't want to approach him on this if it will cause more division between us.

So, are the weights you all are doing the barbell, big bar type weights and bench pressing etc, or do you mean using the weight machines at the gym? I hadn't considered the weight machines as "doing weights" but it could be. I injured my shoulder last fall using the machines at too high of a weight and ended up with surgery in November. That was right when I began my bariatric inquiry. I haven't used them since.

I consulted someone at the club to help me determine my weights on each machine, but I don't trust that now and wondered how you all determined where to start. I want to get benefits without hurting myself and need to set a new routine for workouts. I have gone back to the gym now for water exercise and also ride the recumbent bike I got for my home. If anyone can help me out with advice, I would love that. Reply here or message me please.
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    jillcwatson - I'd ask the son-in-law for help. as a power lifter, he had to start with "regular" weight lifting and still has a routine that he follows. the upside to asking him for help is that he will be "afraid" to cause you any injuries and risk the wrath of both his wife and you (lol).
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Jill, you are going to get better advice from your son in law if you are clear in what you are asking. Do some reading on the web to understand some of the basics and then ask SIL to come to the gym with you to check your form on the machines or benches.

I am adding a mix of machines and barbell work, and Dumbbells are supposed to be great as well. My approach is to add weight as long as I am able to keep correct form. For me this means that I am not changing form late in the set when it gets hard. If I start changing my form, I stop. I mix it up between a weight that I can do yhree sets of 10-12 and a weight I can do two or three sets of 5 reps. I figure as long as I don't hurt myself I'm doing myself good.

Start slow and don't feel pressure to increase weight quickly. You'll like how you feel and look. I have found that "lifting tired" is different (and better) than "cardio tired".

Rob
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of lifting. Honestly, I don't care about stalls. I have actually just added creatine to my diet which is causing a bit of a gain. My body had changed far more than it would have with without the lifting. After all, isn't the goal to be healthy and to look better? A big fear of mine with surgery was losing muscle. WLS causes quick losses which unfortunately includes a lot of lean body mass (muscle). Losing too much muscle will not only slow your metabolism in the long run but it will decrease your strength and give you that "skinny fat" look. There are so many benefits to weigh lifting such as decrease risk of osteoporosis (very important for women and even more so after surgery because of decreased absorption), better balance and posture etc. I highly recommend it.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I invested in a personal trainer to help me with my fitness goals, and I meet with him twice a week for weights (I do cardio 5-7 days a week--mostly running). I also try to do hand weights (12-15 lbs) at home once a week.

Anyway, the trainer and I do lots of different stuff: I flip tires and swing sledgehammers, I lift barbells and toss medicine balls, I use weight machines and kettle bells. Keeping it varied means I'm still sore after every workout--you sort of get used to it, lol--and that I don't get bored with it.

I don't think that lifting or running has caused me to gain weight in any way. It certainly has helped me maintain muscle mass while losing. The hardest part has been to maintain proper nutrition for my workouts--it can sometimes be difficult to know how many calories to consume so weight loss stays on track, but also so I have enough energy.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,697 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I started out using soup cans and water bottles as weights. But now have a set of dumbbells at home and love them. Started six months out from surgery which probably helped maintain muscle mass.

The muscle gain probably triggered a stall (but there were so many stalls back then)... On the flip side, stopping exercise for a couple months seemed to help the weight drop off again. In the long run, gaining muscle might weigh a bit more, but will be slimmer and healthier.

There are exercise challenges on MFP (google YouTube to learn good form) which encourage working out.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Don't hesitate to talk to your son in law, if he's knowledgable he'll tailor his advice appropriately. I use machines, they count (it's all resistance training). I may start to work in free weights and kettle bells as I gain strength and confidence. But at 55, I'm not the jock I was 30 years ago; it's most important to use proper from, not overdo it, and weave it in as part of your long term fitness routine and keep it enjoyable.
  • jillcwatson1
    jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all of your comments. Nick will be here Monday night and I suspect we will hit the gym on Tuesday morning. I will be ready to listen and learn and then be adding some weights to my new exercise routine.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    ok, I know that I should probably avoid asking this especially here among those that do weights regularly, but here goes. My son in law is into power lifting. Since I don't know much about it, and am trying to be a good (or better) mother in law, I thought that I would ask his advice on adding weights to my workout. He will be here in the coming week and I don't want to approach him on this if it will cause more division between us.

So, are the weights you all are doing the barbell, big bar type weights and bench pressing etc, or do you mean using the weight machines at the gym? I hadn't considered the weight machines as "doing weights" but it could be. I injured my shoulder last fall using the machines at too high of a weight and ended up with surgery in November. That was right when I began my bariatric inquiry. I haven't used them since.

I consulted someone at the club to help me determine my weights on each machine, but I don't trust that now and wondered how you all determined where to start. I want to get benefits without hurting myself and need to set a new routine for workouts. I have gone back to the gym now for water exercise and also ride the recumbent bike I got for my home. If anyone can help me out with advice, I would love that. Reply here or message me please.

I use mostly barbell and dumbells. The only machine I use are the pulley, leg press and leg extension. I avoid them as much as possible because they usually only work one muscle group, you use less stabilizing muscles and if the machine isn't just right, it can cause bad form which can cause injury. As far as asking the SIL, keep in mind that power lifting is very different (It focuses on strength in usually 3 particular lifts-squat, bench press and deadlift). He may be able to give some advise but you may be better off with a personal trainer. I do think from a relationship standpoint, he will appreciate your asking him.