How do you know when and if you are fully adapted ( keto adapted) ?

Options
Astharteea
Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
Let's try it here also....

When the ketostix turns dark? Is there any other way?

I'm asking because almost two weeks ago I started eating one meal a day and everything went fine except the fact that I can't sleep at night.

I was reading a thread here about insomnia on keto and somebody said that you have to be fully adapted before you start IF. Now, I thought I was adapted already so I did IF for a month and now this but I start having doubts about if I was as adapted as I thought.

I'm starting to be furious at my bed every night because I'm dead tired and I just can't fall asleep until 5:30 AM. So, how do you know your keto adapted?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Forget keto-adaptation. It sounds like you have inverted cortisol. Carbs and/or calories too low.

Read this thread, especially the posts of @katherineanewlon:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10116313/sleeping-issues-and-keto
  • Astharteea
    Options
    Yes, that's the one I read before I created this discussion. She talking about being fully keto adapted before you start fasting...so that's where I started thinking that maybe I wasn't as adapted as I thought I was. The low carbs and Low calories work for me in the losing lbs sense....so I don't really wanna give it up just yet.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Keto-adaptation is an ambiguous and multi-phase process. Your brain adapts within a couple days. Blood glucose and insulin levels adjust in a week or so. Muscles start adapting in about 3 weeks, and continue to adapt for a couple months.

Carbs below about 40g/d and too large of a calorie deficit will continue to cause cortisol levels to stay elevated. Not a good idea, IMHO.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I would ease into it. I always sleep better on lower carbs...but it is individual. I wouldn't go right into something that extreme especially as a newer person to low carb. I would wait until you feel really great eating low carb, normal meals and being active. For some time.
  • Astharteea
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm eating Keto since Febuary 23rd. So that's almost 5 months. I eat one meal a day for 1 week. The meal it's usually 600 to 700 calories and Keto. Sometimes I have 3 carbs a day and a day or two I had up to 30 carbs a day ( I had some peach, cherries or strawberries) Anyways, maybe my sleep patterns are wrong. Thanks for the comments guys.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Astharteea wrote: »
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm eating Keto since Febuary 23rd. So that's almost 5 months. I eat one meal a day for 1 week. The meal it's usually 600 to 700 calories and Keto. Sometimes I have 3 carbs a day and a day or two I had up to 30 carbs a day ( I had some peach, cherries or strawberries) Anyways, maybe my sleep patterns are wrong. Thanks for the comments guys.

Someone more knowledgeable will comment but I'd think a continued plan of only 600 to 700 calories a day is not enough food?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Agree that it is probably excess cortisol. When you restrict calories too much, this causes stress on your body. Are you also exercising? This will also cause stress and excess cortisol. I don't know your age, but I was struggling with sleep problems and exhaustion due to going into menopause.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Since I did not go Very Low Carb Very High Fat to lose Weight but to lose Pain I did not cut calories at first. I think that helped me. Not cutting calories or even increasing calories might be preferred at first.

I did struggle at first eating 2000 calories a day of fat but after I got my carb calories fully replaced with fat calories things progressed well.

Going off Carbs and Restricting calories at the same time would be like going on a diet and stopping smoking the same day I expect.
  • Astharteea
    Options
    I'm not even close to menopause, so that's not it. Probably it is the cortisol. I chose not to exercise while I eat one day a meal since I thought that would be extreme :smiley: My weight just stalled at some point with the 1200 calories a day so I just wanted to brake that plateau. Initially I only wanted to do a 24 hrs fast 2 days a week.... But I noticed that my weight didn't changed at all so I kept going that's when I realized I'm okay eating just dinner everyday. On the bright side, my eating patterns have changed and that's a plus.
  • suprangela79
    suprangela79 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post about not being able to fall asleep at night lately and I saw this post. Interesting info about the cortisol... I haven't been doing IF so I am not sure why all of a sudden I cannot fall asleep easily. I started back at LCHF on May 26th. I was going to start eating something small later at night after dinner to see if that eases up the sleeplessness I have been experiencing. Maybe your body is hungry too?
  • deksgrl
    Options
    \
    I'm not even close to menopause, so that's not it. Probably it is the cortisol. I chose not to exercise while I eat one day a meal since I thought that would be extreme :smiley: My weight just stalled at some point with the 1200 calories a day so I just wanted to brake that plateau. Initially I only wanted to do a 24 hrs fast 2 days a week.... But I noticed that my weight didn't changed at all so I kept going that's when I realized I'm okay eating just dinner everyday. On the bright side, my eating patterns have changed and that's a plus.

Are you exercising on other days you are eating more? I think cumulatively your body is reacting to the restricted calories. Just because you don't feel hungry doesn't mean that you are getting everything your body needs. And just because you aren't losing scale weight doesn't mean there is nothing happening with fat loss.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Most times around here people breaking a plateau will do a shorter fast - then back to normal - or they will up their calories significantly to reboot the metabolism. Long term fasts like that will give you high cortisol levels and prevent sleep and all of that because your body can't function properly. I would not do this unless you are medically supervised to ensure you aren't damaging your organs... Drop your fast to a day or two or try jumping your calories 500-2000 calories just to wake your metabolism back up. Low carb with super low calories has been touted here often as a recipe for disaster.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »

Someone more knowledgeable will comment but I'd think a continued plan of only 600 to 700 calories a day is not enough food?

Ditto. I would have thought an extended habit of consuming only 600-700 calories a day will ultimately lower your metabolism in the longrun, causing you to gain weight when you start eating a normal amount of food. I dont see how such a high calorie deficit is healthy or sustainable. I think it will ultimately backfire. Youd feel much better if you ate a few more calories.

• Astharteea
    Options
    Yeah, today I started having lunch again so I'm stoping the one meal a day, for now. I'll see how I do this coming week. I desperately need to sleep!
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post about not being able to fall asleep at night lately and I saw this post. Interesting info about the cortisol... I haven't been doing IF so I am not sure why all of a sudden I cannot fall asleep easily. I started back at LCHF on May 26th. I was going to start eating something small later at night after dinner to see if that eases up the sleeplessness I have been experiencing. Maybe your body is hungry too?

I was having trouble sleeping--long history of late nights due to working schedule. After increasing my magnesium because of leg cramps I am sleeping very well, thank you. :) Just a thought.
  • suprangela79
    suprangela79 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    saraphim41 wrote: »

I was having trouble sleeping--long history of late nights due to working schedule. After increasing my magnesium because of leg cramps I am sleeping very well, thank you. :) Just a thought.

I will have to give that a try...thanks! Does it matter how much magnesium you take?
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Nausea - that was me, yesterday. I started my day with a bulletproof coffee around 08:30. by 13:00 I was gnawing my knuckles, so I hurried over to a sushi-go-round type of restaurant (where offerings are on a conveyor belt, seating at a bar). I started in on broiled salmon collar, broiled mussels with mayo, higher fat offerings. I started feeling nauseous. I looked for any kind of veggies or salads - but they didn't have any. So I got some leaner fish and ate a few tablespoons of rice. This quelled the nausea.

Last night (and many nights) I had a hard time getting to sleep, even though I was tired. Finally I dropped off - into a nightmare! I woke up hungry. I wanted nothing so much as some cottage cheese. Other people fantasize about desserts or bacon, but for the last several days, I've found myself wanting cottage cheese. So I ate half a cup, at 03:00, with some peanuts. I could've eaten a full cup, I think.

Lately, I've been finding it hard to eat 1200 calories; many days I end up with 800 to 1100.

Although I've found magnesium to be greatly helpful with sleep (and regularity!), I don't think this is something I should HAVE to take every day. I mean, how did we survive and thrive without supplements, eh?

I'm going to try upping my protein goal from 60 g daily to 90 g daily. I think my craving for cottage cheese (several days in a row) is my body telling me it wants more protein. Your thoughts?

• MistressPi
    Options
    Oh, and thanks for that link (above) on inverted cortisol - I believe this might be happening to me as well. Cuz there's many evenings when I'll find myself staying awake, reading, listening to every little sound (I have very acute hearing) and finally dropping off at dawn (as I felt more relaxed - or exhausted enough - then).
  • deksgrl
    Options
    MistressPi wrote: »

Lately, I've been finding it hard to eat 1200 calories; many days I end up with 800 to 1100.

Although I've found magnesium to be greatly helpful with sleep (and regularity!), I don't think this is something I should HAVE to take every day. I mean, how did we survive and thrive without supplements, eh?

I guess people who eat more calories and more variety get more vitamins and minerals. Also I read something about the soil becoming depleted so perhaps these days it is harder to get them via foods?

• MistressPi
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    MistressPi wrote: »

I guess people who eat more calories and more variety get more vitamins and minerals. Also I read something about the soil becoming depleted so perhaps these days it is harder to get them via foods?

You've got a point, here. ;)