I feel invisible "at my age"

Options
MostlyWater
MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
No one wants to be my partner in gym workouts and certainly the teacher doesn't goo all over me, like he or she does to an obviously younger, good looking young man or lady ...

I'm not overweight or an obvious beginner, but still.

Replies

• SpeedRacer13
    SpeedRacer13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It is what it is. We live in an ageist society. Just keep on doing what you are doing. Pretty soon folks will want to work out with you because you are doing so well. I have issues finding workout partners, dates...even friends! LOL....get used to it.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I am different. I don't want a work out partner. I prefer exercising alone and have never done group classes. I can see where it would be annoying being ignored when you need help and motivation.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    If you feel that you need help in class and aren't getting it, speak to the teacher. If they are unresponsive, go to management. They are thrilled to take your money every month, let them earn it.
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    @MostlyWater I read your profile with lotsa' interest, and it seems possible you are unintentionally projecting an unapproachable persona at the gym. You do seem like you'd be a great workout partner who can offer up a lot of fun stories and entertaining quips while achieving your goals and helping others stay on target to achieve their goals. There's nothing wrong with vanity in any woman regardless of her age (my wife is a Knockout at 54, and I now refer to her as Grandma since last Friday). But please consider revisiting how you project the other traits of your personality at the gym and elsewhere. I think you'll realize a very quick turnaround situation in your near future as you make yourself more approachable and project a very supportive and fun personality.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I also read your profile after seeing mikeyrs post and to be quite honest, I would probably do my best NOT to be gym partner as well. You sound so fit and I bet you look amazing. I would be terrified to be your partner.

I would however be quite happy to be your friend and have a coffee with you after class but gym partner - no way could I keep up with you and your energy and maybe others in the class feel threatened by you as well.

I do also agree with Nikkib0103 about speaking to the teacher or management if the situation continues but I really don't think it is a age thing. You sound awesome to me!! :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's very true about being invisible after 50! Not just in the gym.

Funny enough I've noticed that since I've transitioned from being fairly fit and strong, but overweight, to being very fit, stronger and slimmer people in the gym are much more likely to interact.
    I suppose I look the part now?

But essentially I'm the same person, with the same personality, interests and knowledge. People really do "judge the book by the cover".
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,069 Member
    Options
    Perspective plays a part. The only group fitness activity I take part in is yoga classes where I'm often the only male in the room. I am somewhat introverted so if the yoga instructors started making a big deal about me, it would make me uncomfortable. I hired a personal trainer because I wanted to avoid acerbating old injuries on my journey to fitness so I don't get much interaction with others while at the gym since my time is directed towards guided workouts. In the past when I tried working out solo, the inner introvert kept me working along quietly. Again, if someone started making a big deal, it would be uncomfortable.
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm a bit of a loner, so when I go to the gym I have my mind set on doing my workout. That said, I would never turn away someone who wanted to chat or wanted me for a workout partner.
    Personally, if I was looking for a partner, I would like them to be more advanced then me, so I could learn and have a target to shoot for.
    Maybe you should start looking for a wall flower type person.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    OK, thanks for answering me!