Fat Bikes

Options

Replies

• denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I just got back from bikepacking the Mickelson trail in SD. I rode my Salsa Warbird. I don't think I could have done the whole trail on my fatbike, although the bf did and he kicked my *kitten* as usual. We will be looking into some closer locations for the rest of the summer. I did manage to fit everything on my bike that I needed without panniers. Good thing since there is no way to put racks on my bike.
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    What did ya' use to bikepack, Revelate Designs gear? I run with a Revelate Designs Pika under my MTB saddle that I think very highly of. It can carry a lot of gear.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to side with TheBigYin on this one. :smile:
  • howie6267
    howie6267 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm fat and I bike does that qualify? lol I have been seeing more and more of these in my area. I wouldn't mind having one for riding to work in the winter but for the most part streets get cleared pretty quick here and I'm a road and path rider so probably will not justify the cost.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Took a test ride today... :p

lcirkio1ni44.jpg
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Since getting my Kona Wo, my poor mtn bike has been almost completely relegated to commuting. The poor thing is crying in the garage when I leave for the trails. I got one for one of my employees. She hated single track until she rode my fat tire. Now she is a single track animal! She is much faster down the hills and more confident when she comes off the trail than she used to be. It's been fun to have another person to ride fat tires with. When you work nights, your riding partners are kind of limited.
  • denversillygoose
    Options
    Since getting my Kona Wo, my poor mtn bike has been almost completely relegated to commuting. The poor thing is crying in the garage when I leave for the trails. I got one for one of my employees. She hated single track until she rode my fat tire. Now she is a single track animal! She is much faster down the hills and more confident when she comes off the trail than she used to be. It's been fun to have another person to ride fat tires with. When you work nights, your riding partners are kind of limited.

This, for sure! I got my first mtn bike a couple of years ago and I truly hated trail riding. The Rocky Mountains are truly, very rocky. I had zero confidence rolling over anything. On my fat bike it's totally different and I'm starting to love it. To be fair, it's also a difference of riding a low end Cannondale and a Salsa.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    Options
    smeakim1 wrote: »
    is that the 9.8? Hows it ride compared to the old Farleys?

It's a Farley 5. It rides nice. Lots of fun.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    spdoman7 wrote: »
    I saw a guy on a fat bike on a Sat morning ride with a slow roadie group (14-16 mph). That takes balls...

Either that, or he was an elite and wanted to chill with some slower riders, but still wanted to get a good workout in.

or, option 3, he was just a daft twatt...

Or Option 4, he doesn't give two *kitten* what you think about him, he loves fat bikes and was riding what he loves and doesn't conform to idealist on what someone should ride in certain situations.

Would be kind of sad if he can't be dropped on a dime; at least I had fun with my mtn bike sitting in and matching the pace as it climbed ever slowly past 20mph+. But, the amusement got tiring after quarter of an hour as the pace start drifting back down; I switched back to dirt portion of the MUT for some challenge.

Wouldn't wider tires be the similar? Sounds like lot of $ for a slightly bigger wheels. I just give my mtn bike to my nephew since it get very little use so can't see one in the stables anytime soon. The next s-1 is reserved for a slightly shorter effective top tube.
  • britzen
    britzen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I rent fat bikes, too much coin to buy for my local area use. In Park City, I rode some of the trails in winter and felt like I was dragging a concrete anchor. Around here I just ride studded tires.
  • denversillygoose
    Options
    Took a test ride today... :p

lcirkio1ni44.jpg

Are your rims drilled?

• cowbellsandcoffee
    Options
    Cutouts.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    Options
  • denversillygoose
    Options
    Hot!!
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Nice!
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Oh mama that is sweet!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    It's very 'Purple' isn't it?

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    I like purple. I actually quite like that bike, despite the tractor-tyres. (qualification: I don't really have much of a soft spot for ANY mountainbikes, let alone one of the more niche subsections - primarily because to get the most out of ANY of the MTB's I really have to put the bike in the back of the car and drive somewhere before riding - which cuts into my riding time. Pretty much anything within a hours riding radius around here, I can ride on my CaadX - hell, most of the bridleways/towpaths would be fine on the Dolan if i'd a pair of Gatorskins fitted).

But, I'll admit, having been forced to ride the MTB a bit this summer, I did find myself wishing for a lightweight frame and rigid forks setup - though I was really thinking more of an old-school XC style rig a little closer to my old Pace RC100...

(picture below for those of you who don't know what the hell i'm talking about... (not mine BTW, though it's identical to mine, right down to the yellow bullseye cranks))

Vintage+Pace+RC100.jpg

• cowbellsandcoffee
    Options
    ^ Nice.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    it was a thing of beauty... Raced it for around half a season in the 1990 UK XC's until it was nicked from the back of my van when I stopped at a motorway services on the way home for something to eat. Got back to the van, doors crowbarred wide open, bike, camping kit and everything gone. Was definitely the most expensive race I ever went to - didn't even get in the top 10 as Tim Gould, David Baker and all the rest of the elites were there, half a lap ahead in the first couple of seconds!