Heavy people think it is easy for us

Options
13»

Replies

• samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Went for a potluck lunch today and came back feeling awful. Almost every single person commented on my weight loss while piling up their plates and teasing me 'cone on, you are thin, you can eat more'. Even that was ok, I was smug knowing I can eat all that and still stay within my calorie goal. And then the questions started, what did you do, how etc etc. Initially, I was patient and explained that I had worked hard for almost 8 months and was running and doing strength training, but now, i have a few who want to join me when i workout. I am dreading it! It's my 'me' time when I am running and I don't want someone else with me. I don't know how to say this without hurting anyone.
  • amykarryn1
    amykarryn1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Samra338, i hate that. It's like people saying that rich people are stingy...maybe they are rich because they are not spending their money unwisely!!!!! lol
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    That happens at both ends and I totally feel your pain! I have a huge bone structure. I will never be below a size 6. Right now, my hips are bone against skin, so I may lose tummy and rump, but I am as narrow across as I will ever be. I am one of those people who, when they put their fingers around their wrists have over an inch of gap space.

And I only wear bracelets from China made for Chinese people because my wrists are so small. Even medically overweight, my shoes with ankle straps were tightened smaller than the smallest notch. :) My wrist it 6 1/4" around right now. My ankle is just under 8". I weigh 143-ish. So...yeah, I want to be at the light end of my possible weight range! I have teeny bones, and the extra fat doesn't look good on me. Once I get back to 125, I'll reassess.

I have the teeny bones (6" wrist, etc), but my build is wide. If I turn sideways I look pretty slim. Not even a whole lot of tummy. But from the front I am just wide! Even when I get down to my goal weight I will be somewhat wide. I guess I had hips made for childbearing! But I could never conceive--adopted my babies!

Anyway, I need to be lower on my weight range too!
  • genki90
    genki90 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Seriously, it IS easier (not easy) for us who are smaller!
    Try and get motivated when you can't even do a single push-up because you arms can't lift all this weight. It's not only about the steps that you need to take in order to get to your goal, it's also about how you feel about it and how motivated you are. Heavier people are so far away from their goal and that's not easy to deal with. It's like they have to climb mount. Everest to get there, while we have to climb just a small hill.
    We shouldn't be so judgemental about each other, neither us about heavier people, nor them about smaller people. We can kindly explain our points of view to each other instead of bitching about what our "heavier" friends say to us (like it's something that ALL heavier people say or think).
  • ILiveforMusic
    ILiveforMusic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Over the years I have come to find out that me as a thinner person can not add to discussion on how to lose weight. Women always ask me what do to stay thin. Then they discount me and say I don't understand. I work hard to keep my weight down and I understand how to do it. They all think it is natural to my body chemistry. I now try hard to not say a word. However starting MFP has made me want to tell everyone about my new discovery.

Lots of people don't understand that yeah losing the weight or keeping off the weight is easy for us. Not because we all have fast metabolism a or it's just "something in our blood" but simply because we have put in the effort and now it has simply become habitual. Eating healthy is a habit and once you get started, it's a lot easier to stay fit and continue to make the right choices. If they want to be where we are now they need to understand that they have to make the right choices and do the right things and to stop blaming their bodies for their own choices.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    samra338 wrote: »
    Went for a potluck lunch today and came back feeling awful. Almost every single person commented on my weight loss while piling up their plates and teasing me 'cone on, you are thin, you can eat more'. Even that was ok, I was smug knowing I can eat all that and still stay within my calorie goal. And then the questions started, what did you do, how etc etc. Initially, I was patient and explained that I had worked hard for almost 8 months and was running and doing strength training, but now, i have a few who want to join me when i workout. I am dreading it! It's my 'me' time when I am running and I don't want someone else with me. I don't know how to say this without hurting anyone.

Maybe tell them you're game to have people join you for one week (or heck, even just one run), and you'd be happy to inspire them to get the ball rolling, but after that one week you'll need to go back to your normal solitary workouts as that's your time to decompress and focus on yourself. If they want a running buddy they can join MFP or connect with people on a running app to challenge themselves.

Or, if there are several who are interested... they can hang out with each other! Without you.
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Zara11 wrote: »

Maybe tell them you're game to have people join you for one week (or heck, even just one run), and you'd be happy to inspire them to get the ball rolling, but after that one week you'll need to go back to your normal solitary workouts as that's your time to decompress and focus on yourself. If they want a running buddy they can join MFP or connect with people on a running app to challenge themselves.

Or, if there are several who are interested... they can hang out with each other! Without you.

Thank you @Zara11. The first day, no one bothered to turn up and one was cross that I had gone ahead without waiting! I explained that I had been doing this by myself and I was following my own routine and said essentially the same 'I am happy to inspire and get you started, but you have to do it'. The second day, one turned up and we got along well. We have decided to work out 2 days of the week together and 4 days by ourselves. Ironically, the one who turned up is 'not a heavy girl' and works out regularly at the gym. She is transitioning from running on the treadmill to outside, so we are a good match :smile:
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Zara11 wrote: »

Thank you @Zara11. The first day, no one bothered to turn up and one was cross that I had gone ahead without waiting! I explained that I had been doing this by myself and I was following my own routine and said essentially the same 'I am happy to inspire and get you started, but you have to do it'. The second day, one turned up and we got along well. We have decided to work out 2 days of the week together and 4 days by ourselves. Ironically, the one who turned up is 'not a heavy girl' and works out regularly at the gym. She is transitioning from running on the treadmill to outside, so we are a good match :smile:

Glad it worked out. And a big sigh that no one except for the person already working out showed up.... they clearly aren't ready yet.
  • survivalofthefittest08
    Options
    The amount if weight loss for thinner people is generally less since they lose a larger percentage of their total body weight compared to a heavier person. It is also harder to maintain weight because it is easier to gain at less weight.
  • littletanlady
    littletanlady Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, enjoyed reading your post. I will be looking for a lot of support in the next few months. I have made sacrifices my whole life to maintain my weight. It was easier when I was younger. I had 2 children between the age of 21 & 23 so I bounced right back to 113-115 lbs. But now I am 33 and 8 months pregnant, I've gained 18 lbs of healthy pregnancy weight, but I fear that since I am older it may be harder for me. Wish me luck...Baby due Aug. 11th and I plan on wasting no time getting back to the thin me!! FINGERS CROSSED
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Littletanlady my 2nd baby baby came on August 11th he is nearly 28 now. I am 105 and 5'2" and 58. I have very small hip stucture and no butt. You can do it. It is hard work. But worth doing. I see my own kids heavier than me which makes me sad. I taught the healthy eating to them from the start.