Let's discuss it all. Welcome home.

Options

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    TDJ2326 wrote: »
    I'm interested in know how those are, Evil Cat. I'm usually not a big fruit flavor person but every now and again I want that sort of thing.

I haven't picked it up yet. Most likely tomorrow. I did get turned away a little after reading on the last page the it was sorbet. I didn't see that on any of the packages in the freezer.
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I think I'm ready to throw in the towel on Haagen-Dazs.

Picked up a pint of their "Limited Edition Peanut Butter Pie" and was totally underwhelmed. It froze solid as a rock (in the same freezer that keeps other brands frozen, but not cement-like)...and lacked any real flavor. There were supposedly chocolate cookie 'mix ins' (to represent the pie crust) that had zero flavor or texture.

The last 3 or 4 H-D flavors I've tried have left me similarly underwhelmed.

On the plus side, I gave our local store brand gelato another whirl after being happily surprised by the double chocolate flavor a few months ago. This time I got panna cotta, and I find it equally delicious. Very creamy - even more so than some national brands - nice flavor, and comes with caramel drizzled over it which is a nice touch.

https://www.hy-vee.com/grocery/PD9729649/Hy-Vee-Select-Panna-Cotta-Gelato

I haven't been super awed by the new HD flavors. But I love love love their Pralines and Cream. And the caramel cone is really good, albeit high calorie.

Most definitely agree with the caramel cone recommendation. It's yummy.

RAinWA wrote: »
    don't mind me - I'm just taking notes since I can't find any more Dreyers German Chocolate Cake ice cream. I knew I should have bought more than 4.

Ummmmm, excuse me. We have an issue here. This town isn't big enough for 2 evil cats.

LOL - trust me Q is a sweet cat and not evil at all. He mostly just gets loves and eats tomatoes. Town big enough for one evil cat and one big wussy cat?
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Today I tried the Breyers Hershey Kisses ice cream & it was pretty good. It had a nice caramel swirl & a lot of mix-ins, the ice cream itself was pretty abysmal & tasted bland. What made it epic was putting it on a Joseph's pita & piling on some Jif's Hazelnut Cheesecake spread & nuking that first in the microwave for around 10 seconds & then piling on the ice cream.

As far as the new Nutella spreads go the Cheesecake is the winner & the Cookies & Cream comes in a close second at least in my opinion.

I really liked the amount of mix-ins of the Hershey Kisses. Usually mix-in ice creams aren't as... plentiful.

That is the truth.

I also got the Breyers Mint Oreo ice cream to try & I figure it should also be good since their Golden Oreo is delicious.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    On the subject of evil cats... mine especially B*tchy. I only keep her because she catches mice.

ai7fjtog0om1.jpg
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Mr. Acrylics is home. :D So we went out to dinner and for ice cream. The little shop where we went as Haagen Dazs and this is the birthday cake flavor:

It was really good. I loved the frosting swirl. Much better than the Breyers version I tried.
  • Ninkyou
    Options
    Mr. Acrylics is home. :D So we went out to dinner and for ice cream. The little shop where we went as Haagen Dazs and this is the birthday cake flavor:

It was really good. I loved the frosting swirl. Much better than the Breyers version I tried.

Glad you liked it. I really haven't had much luck wih the party/birthday cake flavors. I've decided to just stay away from the cake flavors in general. Red velvet and party/birthday has just been so no bueno for me.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Glad you liked it. I really haven't had much luck wih the party/birthday cake flavors. I've decided to just stay away from the cake flavors in general. Red velvet and party/birthday has just been so no bueno for me.

I haven't had much luck with them either. All the red velvet ones just taste like food coloring to me. This one was good though.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I didn't know that HD made a birthday cake flavor... I know I loved those Friendly's birthday cakes...
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options

Yummy.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Tried one of these earlier today. For being made out of almond milk, I wasn't expecting them to have such a creamy texture. They're basically a magnum bar with coffee flavor ice cream (instead of vanilla) on the inside. I think they're a new favorite of mine.

tumblr_nq9nbvDIEs1uyoo6so1_1280.png
    That all does sound like a nice combination.

• Francl27
    Options
    Tried one of these earlier today. For being made out of almond milk, I wasn't expecting them to have such a creamy texture. They're basically a magnum bar with coffee flavor ice cream (instead of vanilla) on the inside. I think they're a new favorite of mine.

I'm not really surprised, I mean I find my oatmeal creamier when made with almond milk. I should try one of those, lol.
  • Ninkyou
    Options
    Nothing new for me. I did pick up a HD tiramisu gelato today though because my coupon made it only $.88
    I'm still working on my breyer's dark chocolate truffle and TH southern lemon pie though. So until all of that is gone, no more new flavors for me. My freezer is too full now anyway. *sigh*
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    I was provided a local brand of nondairy ice cream to review. Pretty good. Like that it's decaf.

tumblr_nqbdnjuNzq1uyoo6so2_1280.png

tumblr_nqbdnjuNzq1uyoo6so1_1280.png
    Francl27 wrote: »

I'm not really surprised, I mean I find my oatmeal creamier when made with almond milk. I should try one of those, lol.

I think part of it is my previous experience with almond-based ice cream. Almond Dream's ice cream (not the novelties or gelato) are awfully unimpressive. The brand that I bought definitely pulled it off, though.

There's a line of Cashew Milk ice creams now too.

http://www.onsecondscoop.com/2015/05/so-delicious-cashew-milk-frozen-desserts.html
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Does anyone have any brand recs for chocolate chip cookie dough? I don't want another Talenti experience.

Edy's toll house cookie dough is pretty awesome.
    I just picked up some Seasonal Southern Lemon Pie

southern-lemon-pie.jpg

Yum! I wonder if they'll release their Sweet Potato Pecan Pie ice cream this year?

I wish it were December so Egg Nog ice cream could be back:D.

*Gulp*

Turkey Hill (one of my fave brands) has a sweet potato pecan pie ice cream?! I love sweet potato pecan anything. I've never seen this dream flavor! I do love their pumpkin pie flavor though, it's unbelievably good.

I just saw eggnog TH in my neighborhood two weeks ago. I'm a Christmas time nut, but I can't bring myself to eat anything Christmasy outside of December and January. But the flavor is tasty and I look forward to it every season.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    Does anyone have any brand recs for chocolate chip cookie dough? I don't want another Talenti experience.

southern-lemon-pie.jpg

Yum! I wonder if they'll release their Sweet Potato Pecan Pie ice cream this year?

*Gulp*

Turkey Hill (one of my fave brands) has a sweet potato pecan pie ice cream?! I love sweet potato pecan anything. I've never seen this dream flavor! I do love their pumpkin pie flavor though, it's unbelievably good.

I just saw eggnog TH in my neighborhood two weeks ago. I'm a Christmas time nut, but I can't bring myself to eat anything Christmasy outside of December and January. But the flavor is tasty and I look forward to it every season.

I think I had the Sweet Pecan two years ago? It reminded me a little of their Pumpkin flavor.

I thought the Turkey Hill Egg Nog was the best until I tried the Talenti. I can't wait till the Egg Nog comes back so I can mix it with Maple Toast Crunch cereal. Om nom nom.

Today at Giant I bought Yueling's Buttered Caramel Popcorn ice cream. I probably won't dig into the pint until later this week.
  • Francl27
    Options

southern-lemon-pie.jpg

*Gulp*

I think I had the Sweet Pecan two years ago? It reminded me a little of their Pumpkin flavor.

I thought the Turkey Hill Egg Nog was the best until I tried the Talenti. I can't wait till the Egg Nog comes back so I can mix it with Maple Toast Crunch cereal. Om nom nom.

Today at Giant I bought Yueling's Buttered Caramel Popcorn ice cream. I probably won't dig into the pint until later this week.

Oh man. I need to try that one.