Upcoming plans/training goals?

Options
Hey guys, I know this is a pretty slow community (not physically, just in the MFP sense), but I'm hoping to expand my horizons and ideas a bit so I wanted to ask: Who has some awesome trips coming up? What are you training for or trying to lose weight for? What are some trips and adventures you'd like to check off the list? Personally, I'm headed to Alaska for a week of adventuring with a friend in a few months and am training for climbing the Grand Teton (Wyoming, USA) in August with the same friend (she's crazy fit). I don't want to be the chubby friend, so training to keep up with or beat her up the mountain is my current inspiration :)

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I have a trip planned next month in another post. Sometime (2017 at the earliest based on schedules), I am trying to get my brother to go with me to Glacier National Park. I figure a good 3-5 day hike that takes us from the Bowman Lake trailhead to the Waterton Lakes National Park Reception Centre would be exciting. That route goes over the great divide and right past some of the glaciers. It is really only possible to take that route (due to road closings) in the summer and it will be ideal to go during huckleberry season to have some "trail food." (Ha!)
  • Headtothemountains
    Headtothemountains Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I actually grew up about an hour from Glacier and currently live 3 hours away. THIS. Such a good route! I have done that section and it's unbelievably stunning. The huckleberries are the best, although technically you're not supposed to pick them ;) You've probably already started looking, but hike734.com and enjoyyourparks.com both are excellent resources, as well they include some incredible photos. I had a permit to go all the way across last summer (west to east side) but we got snowed out. In August. It made me so sad, as the permit had given me the exact campsites I requested and that's rather rare. Such fickle weather here at times. How exciting!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Have they changed the rules on Huckleberries? This blog is from 2008, but says you can pick 1 quart per day per person for personal consumption. I couldn't find anything that says otherwise anywhere else.

http://www.nps.gov/glac/learn/news/blogs_restivo_0808.htm

This has no date, but says the same thing.

http://www.ohranger.com/glacier/huckleberries
  • MargueriteMuguet
    MargueriteMuguet Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hello! I m new here. Let's bump up this thread, no?

So my partner and I are going for a 10 day hike in Greenland this summer :-)
    and we just came back from a 4 days trip in Luxemburg that we did not really appreciate but hopefully the next time we go out will be better :-)
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Nothing spectacular, but my usual hiking spot is challenging; I want to run, not walk, the trail (except in the climbing parts, of course) by this winter. My Fitbit tells me it's 90 to 120 flights of stairs and 14 to 19 thousand steps. (Depending on my path choices.)
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I think I already posted this someplace, but I'm doing the Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainier 9/1 thru 9/11. I had to cancel my John Muir Trail hike cause I broke my arm 3/19 and knew I couldn't get healed and back in good enough shape by 7/12. I'm back to hiking 4 days a week and will soon put on the backpack and add weight.

I live in Arizona and have been fortunate to have cooler temps this May than usual, but it will be getting tough soon. I have a couple of go to nearby hikes. One is 7 1/2 miles and 1500 feet elevation and the other is 9 miles and 1900 feet elevation. When it's cooler I can extend them to loops and get more elevation, but this time of year it gets a bit warm. Pretty much I get out on the trail at first light.

I also have some day hikes in Park City UT end of June and camping/hiking in Sequoia NP in early July.
  • undergloom
    undergloom Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Some nice-sounding trips in here!
    I'd love to do one long trip, but that's not going to work out this year due to some unusual work stuff. Instead, I'm attempting to bag all of the official 48 peaks over 4000' in the White Mountains NH between Memorial Day and Halloween. I've got four down so far, so I'm off to a good start. All trips must involve at least an overnight stay; no daytrips (this is a self-imposed rule, not an official AMC rule - I just really like primitive camping). And I must take a selfie at every summit - also my own rule. I'm chronicling each trip in my MFP blog. Should be a fun series of mini-adventures.
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Im a bit crazy and go on smaller adventures everyweekend. I have a 4 year old daughter who follows everywhere! This year we have about 5 upcoming backpacking trips here in the rockies. Biggest one is 7 days in Bristish Colombia! Hoping to do Denali in 2018!
  • patrickjd9
    patrickjd9 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Planning a series of four day hikes on the Appalachian Trail in Vermont in August. Fall plans aren't set yet.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing a 5-day trip to Evolution Valley in CA in August. Supposed to be an awesome area, never been there. Just got back from a short weekend trip with my husband's 12-year-old granddaughter; very fun!
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Morgan Outdoors in Livingston Manor, NY is running a drawing for people who visit all 5 fire towers in the Catskills by October. Seemed like a good way to get me and my 7 year old out of the house. Red Hill down and 4 more to go. I think we will hit Basham Lake Tower next.
  • Snowhappens
    Snowhappens Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    ACL surgery after a fall skiing in April + rehab... not as much fun but I like reading the rest of yours.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I just got back from 2 weeks in the Jasper National Park area ( Canada ) and the Ice Field. To say that it was HOT is an understatement. 5 liter camel back and 1 liter bottle sucked dry by noon. Still had fun scrambling on Wilcox, Nigel and Boundary. They just had a wildfire flare-up about 15 km ( 10 miles ) outside Jasper so lots of smoke in the area for anyone visiting now.

100 km's south of Jasper is what I consider to be the Best Camping site in the park ( Canada? ) Ice fields #12 ( Tents Only ) , on one side a view of Athabasca Mtn, Columbia Ice field and Boundary peak and the other view is of the Ice-cold Mtn stream 12 ft. from your site ( Beer Cooler ).
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Just tacked on another short trip. It's only 25 miles but it's hilly and for an overnight it should be challenging pacewise. Between this solo trip and doing a 25 mile section of the Knobstone Trail I am considering a spring solo trip on the whole 58 mile Knobstone if I can pace it out to 3 days.