Where we stand on alcohol?

Options
kellyb1285
kellyb1285 Posts: 17 Member
So I'm still quite new to this lifestyle and had some ups and downs however overall really good.

Now alcohol....I know what I have read up and I know the conservative answer however I wonder about others views?
Alcohol is a big part of my life as I hobby homebrew. All from scratch with natural yeasts, berries. Flowers, water etc however that does need sugar or honey to make it wine... So I wonder what the thought are out there?

Can I just say .... I'm a sensible drinker who enjoys it little and often not a binge drinker or too excess.

Replies

• degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I still drink very occasionally.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I like a glass of red wine. Or two. And I usually feel pretty good the next day as long as I haven't done anything stupid like not drinking enough water throughout the day, or drinking on an empty stomach.

To each their own.
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I enjoy wine, if I have a need to tighten up my eating it's easy to avoid.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I still drink alcohol just much less than before...and not only because of going Paleo. Beer could be problematic because of the gluten however I've read that very little remains in general after brewing so I would go with how you feel after drinking it. I brew my own Kombucha and have brewed beer in the past, most of the sugar is consumed by the culture/yeast so I don't see the sugar added in the brewing process as a problem. I say cheers to the occasional responsible bevvie :D
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Alcohol won't be helpful in any way, but depending on your goals and whether you like the effects or not, you can choose to have it or not. The only issue I have is when people excuse/justify it. Your choice.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I enjoy wine, but choose to drink it very seldom. I noticed when I was accidentally (on account of paleo eating) losing weight at a steady rate, a glass of wine would stall me for a week or two, before the steady rate resumed. So if you're in it for weight loss, you might want to take that under consideration.

I wasn't in it for weight loss, I just happened to notice that I lost weight at a rate of about a pound or two a week when sticking pretty close to paleo guidelines (no grains, legumes, refined sugar -- and for me it looked like fairly low-carb, high-fat, moderate protein for my body to feel at its best). I could stand to lose another fifty pounds or so, but that is not my main motivation. I know (now that we are no longer traveling every couple weeks to high school tournaments) that I will quite possibly start shedding pounds again now that I can cook my own food once more.