6/25/15, Day 6

Options
KarenZen
KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
Since Nancy will be up any minute now on her Grimm treadmill, I'll get things rolling before I sleep (I'm on my smartphone under the blankets so I don't wake Jim). Nancy, what's the name of that book you're reading? I'd love to look it up. Also, did your toilet finally get fixed? If they were Bulgarian men, they would have fixed it perfectly with a coat hangar and a tube of superglue, looked dead sexy while doing it, then seduced you over a bottle of slivovitz (plum gin). Ahhhhh... so sorry you are in KSA.

I babbled enough for two people in the last thread so will keep this short.

Happy day 6---we're heading into the home stretch now!

Xxoo
K.

Replies

• catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting the thread Karen. I just got my Kindle and here is the title/author: Over 50, Overseight & Out of Breath by Laura E. Sinclair. I am heading over the Causeway to Bahrain today to get the ol' roots done on the hair. (Can't find anyone here who is good at that and highlights too). So my trip over to another country. Sounds exotic...but actually a pain in the backside going thru immigration/customs blah, blah, blah!! Depends on the mood swings of the staff there, and being Ramadan, they will be tired and perhaps grumpy..or not. Will see! I will finish reading the book on the trip. (Would rather be on a camping trip like Zac or swimming in your lake than going over in 110 F weather!).

I think you and Zac on 'in the zone'....'in a good place' which is great!! You are goal minded, and happily moving ahead. Cari and I need to catch whatever it is you both have!! It is contagious!!! We will get there too.

Happy to see some new members!! Please just jump in here anytime and post!! Am very impressed with the athletic's described in previous post (of course not by me!! lol)

So Day 6 begins here....will think about a food plan...and hopefully do more than just think about it! I did do low carb ages ago...but to me, I could not stick to it for more than one year. So my basic plan really and truly should be to log my food and stick to 1200 calories...and like you did Karen...get off the bloody sugar!! And Cari has a great plan of removing processed food.

BTW...Karen, you mentioned you made a salad dressing....garlic vinaigrette was it?? Care to share the recipe??

OK, I just babbled on and on!! Need to shower and get ready for my 'trip' to the hairdresser's!

HOpe you all slept well and have a wonderful Thursday!!!

xoxo
    n
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Day 6 then. My thought for today is that you are definitely in the zone when houmous for lunch seems exciting. That or beyond help!

I am still not having any fast food though I am 'programming in' a day Sunday where we are going to the cinema and will go for a pizza with the kids after. I'm sat contemplating the best way to make it healthy as possible though and making it a planned excursion. I will probably go to Boxing in the morning to burn a good whack off before I start. Think my plan for next week is going to be getting my protein levels back where I want them to be as Im only hitting 90g a day right now

On the exercise front I am going for a run again tonight, battle ropes tomorrow, an early run and weights session saturday and boxing sunday so thats all good. Ive been today for gait analysis and treated myself to some new running shoes, a new armband for my phone so I dont keep shoving it down my bra and some new lifting gloves. My debit card is weeping softly but I figure it isnt wasted money

Also wanted to mention if I dont answer some parts of some threads Im not ignoring it. Ever since suffering this depression the last cpl years one thing i really struggle with is reading long blocks of text. Its a concentration thing I suspect and needs to be addressed as for someone who has always read avidly to not be able to manage more than a cpl of paragraphs is very frustrating. Dont know where to start though as I know it will just be one of those things I need to deal with myself like the noise sensitivity. But poke me if I miss you out Im not being rude on purpose
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Lise, I'll keep that in mind when I want to address you specifically. Thanks for the heads up. Sometimes I ramble on so long that even I can't read my own posts, lol. Maybe time to start a blog!
    K.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Skippy's coming over shortly for our "K and Skippy day." Food plan is to just raid the fridge since we have nothing in there but proteins, veggies, fruit, and dairy (I love having a "safe" kitchen with no temptations). Exercise plan is to try to keep up with him and the neighborhood kids. Clean plan? Not sure yet... if we get to the store, pick up some coconut milk and try the fudgesicle recipe?

Has anyone ever tried freezing chocolate protein shakes?

Hope you all have a FABULOUS day 6. Stay challenged!

K.
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies and gents!! Hope everyone is doing well on day 6. My scale is finally moving again. I was at 298 yesterday.... I had hit 295 about 3 weeks ago for a hot minute (less then a day); then went back up to 299.5 and have been hovering between 299.5-298.5. This morning for kicks and giggles, I got weighed... the scale was at 296.0. I was ready to JUMP for joy. My goal is to be in the 280's by the time I go to Las Vegas. I think making carbs the only thing I am concentrating on right now, is helping me. Although I was over yesterday, I was much lower then I would have been if not concentrating on them at all. I also seen where I mindlessly ate (via my paper journal) and plan on attacking that today. So all in all, feel good.

Karen, I hope you have a blast today. Sounds like a lot of fun. I'd love to do a water balloon fight. I've played with Reggie's nieces and nephews, but they aren't that much fun.

Nancy, I'm with you... my hair needs to be dyed badly. Plan on doing it sometime next week as I fly out to Vegas on Friday the 10th. Have a great time today. Hope the process of getting there is easy for you.

Zac, would love to see the spreadsheet concept... to see how you are working on your's. I did mine sorta like a road map of goals and steps to get there to know what I need to do to hit each one and have something to work on. (mini goals along the way)..... I learned this concept in weight watchers years ago.. I think it was called story boarding. It's always stuck as a way to get from point A to point Z, just need to come up with points B-Y.... if I've made any sense at all.

Lise, my friend, so proud of you for staying away from the fast food and planning your pizza day and trying to make it as healthy as possible. You are kicking *kitten*. I want to be as disciplined as you are with my workouts. You Rock....
  • catladyksa
    Options
    Hey all...it is just after 6 pm and time for me to stop eating!! So back from the hair salon, the causeway was traffic free...was over there in one hour and same coming back! Yeah!! Hot day too....109 F again!

Karen as I mentioned , there is another great book I got on my Kindle and it really is very informative and makes sense too. Cari, it is sort of like what you are doing...and laying off the flour, sugar and ???? Forgot...guess I need to go back a re-read it. But it is good! lol

It really sounds like all of you are really doing a great job.....meeting your goals/challenges...very inspirational!!

Well, I am signing out....getting ready for bed! HOpe everyone had a super day!!
  • ronercat
    ronercat Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    The way I have the goals listed in the sheet are pretty simple. Each goal has its own sheet in the document. Each goal has been given a numeric outcome so that way as I go along I can fill in what has been done (almost like a child's sticker chart haha) and I can see the percentage I am currently at in my goal and whether or not I am ahead or behind. I also have a list of small incentives for reaching certain points in each area, but they are more like milestones on the way rather than mini goals. I hope that made sense haha.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Quick note here as Skippy is eating lunch.

I haven't uncovered the goals worksheet yet, but I remember that each goal was tied to my core values, and then I listed thoughts and behaviors that support those goals and thoughts and behaviors that detract from those goals.

For example, if one of Zac's core values is family/marriage/children/a sacred comittment, then his goal of dating 15 times is tied to that value and a long-term goal of getting married and raising a family. The women he chooses to date should have similar values. A thought that would detract is that because he's overweight, women will reject him. A thought that would support is that true love comes in every shape, color, and age. Behavior that detracts? Not asking someone for fear of rejection. Behavior that supports? Going to group/church functions where you will meet single woman.

In other words, examine each goal in the context of your core values (and perhaps the long term goal). Check how your behaviors and beliefs play a role in success or failure. Tonight I think I'll work on mine. Thanks for the inspiration, Zac!

K.
  • maoribadger
    Options
    Cari you are doing marveouslly I think sticking to carbs for now is a good idea. The calories can come later once you have the carbs down straight. I do the opposite when I deviate off track. I spend a cpl of weeks, like I have now, getting back within cals then sort out my macros. Im back to comfortably eating within cals now so i need to work on my protein as my lifting is suffering.

As for the exercise discipline its not that hard. I just love exercising. I never thought of myself as a runner but its a whole new way to push myself like my weight lifting and I am sneakily really enjoying it. Have you thought about swimming. Its where I started. 18m ago I was 270lb and couldnt have done what I do now but I could swim. So I started out just doing like 20 laps of the pool and increasing that or trying to do it a little faster (I am NOT a fast swimmer) and once I felt more comfortable I went to the gym and started weight lifting which is great for body sculpting but not as hard on you as cardio. Its only now 50lb later Im happy to start running. So theres always a way its just finding what works for you. It took some doing to get in that pool as not only was I overweight but Im scarred on my arms and legs but once I figured out nobody else gave a monkeys what I was doing it stopped bothering me. If you wanna shoot the breeze about a workout regimen or ideas feel free to PM me.

Karen did you get the coconut milk? I keep meaning to but havent made it to the shop yet. How was your day with your friend. Having a guilt free kiitchen is what I aim for but with a 4 and a 6 yo its tricky. I make sure their treats are things I can take or leave so they rarely have chocolate in but if they want something as a treat they have haribo jelly sweets. Ive not tried freezing protein shakes as I never use them as I am seeing a nutritionist for a block of sessions who put me off them royally but I would imagine they would end up gritty :/
  • maoribadger
    Options
    http://www.runswindon.co.uk/

Haha this is where I got my new trainers today. I have ended up on their website feed, thats me in the trex tshirt
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    Lise, thanks for the offer of "shoot the breeze about a workout regimen or ideas" Much appreciated. I am working on GOALS and listing them out and making myself a priority is a huge one for me. Under that goal, I list do the exercises I enjoy.... dancing, zumba, walking, playing with Sade, relaxing in the park, shopping (even if only window shopping till I hit goal)... All these things I truly enjoy.. especially going to the park as there are horses there. I love horses. I like to just walk around, be with nature there. I noticed one thing when I made the list... all of these things make me move. I have many more on the list, but they are the ones in which I get moving. I'm going to Schedule an hour a day doing one of these every day. I should also include doing Richard Simmons "Sweating to the oldies" I use to love them. I will add it. ADDED. If you were to see my desk at work. BWAHAHAHAHA. I have food on one side. Cookbooks, journals, notebooks on the other side... and my computer for work is in the middle of the "mess".
  • maoribadger
    Options
    If those are things you love to do and they make you move and get your heart rate and breathing rate up I'd say you are well on the right track there aiming to do them an hour a day. If you enjoy it you will do it more and more often
  • KarenZen
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Whew! That was a crazy, busy day! On Thursdays, my neighbor has her two grandkids, ages 12 and 9, then the other neighbor is home with her girls, ages 3 and 7, and I had Skippy McGrape (that's his "adventure name"; mine is Karen McCrackers), age 8. All the kids were in my yard for an enormous 110 balloons water balloon fight, then lake swimming, cannonballs off the dock, kayak races, water ballet, swimming.... basically summer fun. I definitely got a workout keeping up with them all!

No issues on the challenge today. Logged plenty of exercise, logged all my food, my foray into clean eating was to pick up the ingredients for those homemade fudgesicles... will give you the review once they are done. I also finished up the organic turmeric cauliflower (VERY easy... chop up cauliflower, toss in bowl with a sprinkle of olive oil, a few shakes of garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, curry powder, then a good tablespoon of turmeric. Stir until cauliflower is good and coated. Bake on cookie sheet for 15-20 (? sorry, I don't time it, I just check and when it's getting a little browned, I take it out) at 425 degrees. Great flavor.
    Oh, and Nancy, the turmeric came from YOU from your Dubai trip. I can't thank you enough!!!

Nancy, I think I'll start a recipe thread if I can remember how to make a thread "sticky," and I'll post that recipe for garlic salad dressing that is so good.

I am so fried from keeping up with Skippy for the past ten hours that I am heading to bed, lol! Hope everyone had a fabulous day!

xxoo
    K.

• KarenZen
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Warning--rant of self pity!
    I'm in bed on my smart phone waiting for back pain meds to kick in so I can shower before going to sleep. I'm pretty lake-watery, and I think I have sand in all the crevices, hahaha. Unfortunately as soon as I stopped moving an hour ago, my back froze up again and the bilateral leg pain kicked me in the *kitten*. I have the worst primary care doctor (I actually am shopping for a new one). I take a low dose vicodin for joint pain from Still's and I've been asking for something stronger for my back for weeks, but she's telling me to take Aleve and more prednisone. So instead I've doubled my daily dose of vicodin and will run out tomorrow. I can't fill that script again until July 7, so basically I'm screwed. The state of Maine is hyper cautious and vigilant with its opiates. Every month for 10 YEARS I've been peeing in a cup for my Dr. to prove I'm taking the prescribed amount. It's INSANE. I need to take up drinking or smoking pot, apparently. Anyway, *kitten* *kitten* *kitten*, I will likely wind up at the ER on Saturday, I'm sure, because without ANY vicodin, this nerve pain is so bad that I've actually vomited and passed out from it (not at the same time, thank god!). Today I spent 3 hours in the lake, bobbing around while the kids were racing and diving and all that jazz, so I sort of hoped my back would stretch out and pop those bulging discs back in. Grrrrrr. Aaarrggghhh. I HATE this debilitating pain!!! When I disappeared from the boards last fall, it was for the same kind of thing, so spine surgery is probably coming. Which means getting off all the freaking immunosuppressants AGAIN! I can't even think about it. I'm barely recovered from the sleeve surgery in December, and those tiny incisions took over 3 months to heal! 3 months of no Still's meds and no swimming. Freaking Brutal!

So yeah... great day on the one hand, lousy on the other.

My Dr. says to me, "you must not need something stronger or the neurosurgeon would have prescribed it." My Neuro said to me on Tuesday, "I can't prescribe a stronger pain med because you have a narcotic contract with your primary care doctor, so call her and tell her you need something stronger." Oh for heaven's sake! When I lived in Bulgaria, you could buy codeine and valium over the counter! Crazy world. I mean, I could understand if I had a history of drug abuse or addiction, but up until 10 years ago when I got Still's, I barely ever took an aspirin!

Rant done, thank you for listening.

Hey--good news is I'm not EATING these feelings. Of course, I can't stand and walk to the fridge either, so that kind of limits that, haha.
    K.
  • catladyksa
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are in pain Karen....not fun. Wish I could help. We can get Acetaminophen (Tylenol) with Codeine 8mg here over the counter....and used to get Syndol in the UK and Panadine in Ausie. Just not in the USA! The FDA runs the USA drug market....don't get me on my soap box! So many drugs are over the counter elsewhere and it takes years for the FDA to approve or disapprove of what places like France and Germany are using for years! Go figure!!

Feel better!!! And DO NOT go off the board...just stay with us!! We care!!!! You have to get better in order to come visit me next year in AZ!!! :)
    n
  • KarenZen
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks, Nancy. I promise not to disappear! I managed a 5 minute shower but cried the whole time. Now I'm back in bed and comfy. As long as I lie flat, I'm okay. It's just sitting, bending, and walking that freaking kills.

I'll call the Neuro in the morning and see what happens. Otherwise, Jim can take me to the hospital on Saturday morning. What a waste of time and resources!

I agree with your assessment of the FDA. Because I have a rare "orphan" disease, my biologicals are never FDA approved for my specific disease... which means they aren't in the insurance formulary, which means I'm constantly fighting for coverage. Every six months I can expect to spend 3 weeks fighting with my insurance company, endless hours wasted on the phone. I'm ready to move to Greece and run a taverna now!

K.
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    Karen, I do hope you feel better. I know the feeling of bad back pain. Can't you get your PCP to look in their records to see that they are the only ones prescribing you narcotics?? I had the same issue until I asked them to check their records. Frustrating, I know. I actually asked my pcp to call and confirm with the other Drs office that they weren't prescribing me meds for pain. The things you need to go thru for halfway decent care.
  • catladyksa
    Options
    Lise...love the trainers. I love colorful ones!!!! I have several Asics that a super colorful!!
  • maoribadger
    Options
    Yeah I love colourful trainers too, colourful clothes generally.
    How are you today Karen
  • KarenZen
    Options
    I am pretty dopey today. My PCP had me take 50 mg. of amitriptyline instead of more vicodin. It definitely helps with the nerve pain, but I'm pretty foggy. Supposedly after a few days my body will adjust to it. So I'll just give today a thumb's up!
    K.