Starting Heavy Lifting (Stronglifts 5x5)

Options
2»

Replies

• indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    This is a hot topic thread on the boards right now that you might find interesting. Welcome by the way!!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat#latest
  • baybeejulia
    baybeejulia Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Gotcha. I wasn't saying you have to eat more. I was just answering your question of "should I eat more?" that you asked a few posts up. I assumed you were wanting to eat more based on the way you phrased it, so I ran the math for you to let you know that you COULD be eating more (just strictly looking at the math side of it). But like I said above: if you're happy losing at the pace you are/don't feel like you need more food, my numbers/advice can be ignored.

Oh, excuse my misunderstanding!

I meant do I NEED to eat more to get the body that I want. If not, I am happy to continue eating like this. I just don't want the weight lifting, coupled with a caloric deficit, to put my body into starvation.

Just an example in the past week, on the days that I have done heavy lifting, rather than cardio, my daily burn has been about 1750. I think eating at 1200 is just low enough to give me the deficit I need to lose the fat.

• baybeejulia
    Options
    This is a hot topic thread on the boards right now that you might find interesting. Welcome by the way!!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat#latest

Thank you! Definitely jumping into the thread and reading through it! It seems losing fat and being muscly is everyone's goal hehe.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Gotcha. I wasn't saying you have to eat more. I was just answering your question of "should I eat more?" that you asked a few posts up. I assumed you were wanting to eat more based on the way you phrased it, so I ran the math for you to let you know that you COULD be eating more (just strictly looking at the math side of it). But like I said above: if you're happy losing at the pace you are/don't feel like you need more food, my numbers/advice can be ignored.

Oh, excuse my misunderstanding!

I meant do I NEED to eat more to get the body that I want. If not, I am happy to continue eating like this. I just don't want the weight lifting, coupled with a caloric deficit, to put my body into starvation.

Just an example in the past week, on the days that I have done heavy lifting, rather than cardio, my daily burn has been about 1750. I think eating at 1200 is just low enough to give me the deficit I need to lose the fat.

Yeah, you're fine where you're at calorie-wise. If you start feeling fatigued, missing reps, or losing too fast, then that would be the time to look at upping your calorie and/or changing your macro goals.

BTW, don't worry about "starvation mode." It's a myth, at least the way people believe it to work. If you keep reducing your calories, you'll keep losing weight. You don't suddenly reach a low level of calories where your body will gain weight on a deficit. A good example of this is anorexics. They keep eating less and less to keep losing. That's not to say it's good to keep eating less and less because you can damage your body and your metabolism doing so. Plus, you miss out on vitamins/minerals/nutrients you need.
  • baybeejulia
    Options
    Yeah, you're fine where you're at calorie-wise. If you start feeling fatigued, missing reps, or losing too fast, then that would be the time to look at upping your calorie and/or changing your macro goals.

BTW, don't worry about "starvation mode." It's a myth, at least the way people believe it to work. If you keep reducing your calories, you'll keep losing weight. You don't suddenly reach a low level of calories where your body will gain weight on a deficit. A good example of this is anorexics. They keep eating less and less to keep losing. That's not to say it's good to keep eating less and less because you can damage your body and your metabolism doing so. Plus, you miss out on vitamins/minerals/nutrients you need.

Ok great, thank you.