Hard.

Options
MamaOfThree88
MamaOfThree88 Posts: 54 Member
I've been Paleo for close to 60 days now. At work, I've had about three co workers interested in Paleo and I've helped them to start. Well, each one probably lasted around a week on average and now back on an unhealthy track.

I've helped them to get back, I gave them advice and supported them. But no luck. Now they seem to rub it in my face with their food choices and it has been a struggle. I try to keep my head up high, but I tend to think about my next cheat meal or sneak a food that I know I can't have.

Tips?

Replies

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating paleo? It might be helpful for you to list your reasons for starting this journey. What were the deciding factors for you? For me, that was the first consideration. I started eating paleo to avoid prescription strength NSAIDs for joint pain, with frightening side effects (death, anyone?). After investigating "natural arthritis cures" I stumbled on Robb Wolf and Mark Sisson. I read Robb Wolf's book first (The Paleo Diet Solution). It was kind of motivating, but Mark Sisson's book (Primal Blueprint) and his website made it sound doable.

Is this a new lifestyle for you, or is it only a diet? What are you looking for?

For me, two keys have been Mark Sisson's carbohydrate curve, and his 80/20 principle. I find that if I stay around 50-80g of carbs a day, I don't get carb cravings. If I eat about 60% of my calories in good fats, I don't get hungry. That's huge! I've had binge eating disorder for as long as I can remember, but I don't binge if I eat paleo/primal style.

80/20 for me, means that I stick as closely as I can to paleo/primal. I aim at 100% because I'm a perfectionist, but I have permission to make occasional decisions to eat something off my list of health-inducing food. So I might have a slice of pizza (I am not gluten intolerant) or a bowl of super premium ice cream (I am dairy intolerant, allergic to dairy protein, so if I use dairy it has to be as full fat as possible). I have been known to buy a Krispy Kreme donut once in the last six months, while there with one of our teens. It was enough.

I used to binge when I "went off my diet". Now I just chalk it up as part of my 20% -- no big deal -- and go right back to eating healthy food. And I *can* because I understand how my metabolism works. Before, I couldn't resist binging because I was carb-adapted, not fat-adapted, and I was fighting the cravings and feeling deprived *all* *the* *time*.

But I've been fat-adapted for nearly three years now. I understand how my metabolism works. If I eat more than 100g of carbs, more that two days in a row, the carb cravings and desire to binge will set in.

For three years, Sunday has been a feast day -- it's one of two higher carb days for the week. (I try to space out the other one, so that would be Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday, probably. Sometimes Friday if we're invited out.) "Higher carb" for the most part means no more than 150g of carbs for the day. That's for me. That's my threshold, beyond which lies feeling awful: sick, tired, painful joints, headache, maybe hung over. Having Sunday to look forward to sometimes is enough to help me on a regular day. As a matter of fact, I often don't feel the need of some special food most Sundays anymore -- I might eat a bowl of fresh berries and call it good.

Are you eating paleo-ized treats? Paleo brownies, paleo chocolate chip cookies, paleo pre-packaged snacks? That's a good (maybe I should say "bad") way to trigger cravings, too.

You can do this! I started eating paleo/primal (primal is because I occasionally have cream, butter, or high-fat cheese) all by myself three years ago. All I heard from people was that they had tried it, and it hadn't worked for them. But I experienced relief for my joint pain, so I was motivated. My family wasn't on board. They love their carbs, and none of them struggles with weight. They have come around, though, and are glad to see me feeling so much better.

Sometimes it feels as if their food choices are "in your face". I've had to ask one of my teens not to bake brownies while I'm at home, and to keep the brownies out of sight. Just put them away! If they're sitting on the counter, I'm too tempted to eat them. (I had a *big* "20 moment" this week, when this teen had left a plate of brownies sitting on the counter for two or three days... and then I had a talk with the teen about my weakness. I don't make "paleo brownies" because brownies are still a weakness for me.)

Today I was still kind of wanting something chocolate, so I stirred together a cup of good coconut oil, a cup of unsweetened shredded dried coconut, and half a cup of carob, then formed the dough into balls and put them in the fridge. I had a couple this afternoon and they were rich, creamy, sweet (with no added sweetener), and satisfying. One or two a day will help me get past the chocolate cravings triggered by those brownies.

I'd suggest avoiding the topic of paleo or food with your coworkers. Just quietly go about your business. It's your health. If they see you losing weight, or being healthier, maybe they'll be motivated again. Maybe not.

It's your health.
  • keemra
    keemra Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I feel so much better on Paleo. My joint pain is gone, my skin is better, my nails are no longer brittle and cracked. I have more energy. I love how this is making me feel. My husband doesn't do Paleo. He feels fine on his high carb diet. I bake bread for him and buy his favorite junk snacks for him, but am not even tempted to join him because I don't want to go back to feeling like I did when I ate like he eats.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Maybe I'm talking too much. Just let me know.

Find support somewhere else. MFP (this particular forum, not the main forums) has been a gold mine of information and encouragement.

I found unexpected encouragement at the meat counter in New Seasons (a local chain of Whole Foods-type store). I was buying meat, and mentioned to the butcher that I was doing "paleo" for joint pain, and every week after that he'd light up when he saw me coming, and ask me how the paleo was doing, and suggest cuts of meat for yummy (and economical) meals. One day when we were talking, a guy walking by suddenly said, "Hey! I'm doing paleo, too!" It was like a party.

I haven't always been "true". I lost nearly 40 lbs the first year, kept it off, and then got careless last Christmastide, eating fudge and holiday foods. I gained back about 10 pounds. Then we were traveling every other week to high school speech and debate tournaments, and I was too beleaguered (or not dedicated enough? or feeling too good?) to do all that I needed to do to take paleo on the road. I'm more likely to give in to junk food when I'm feeling no pain. I gained and lost the same five pounds over and over since January. (Gained on the road, lost during the week at home.)

Now I'm home and back on track. I mostly eat meat, veggies, fat, and a small amount of fruit. I don't make paleo treats very often. I pretty much stick to auto-immune protocol out of necessity. (Nuts bring back the desire to binge, so those are rare for me. Probably some allergic reaction. Eggs I can manage a few times a week. After three years on AIP, I can get away with eating an occasional serving of nightshades. Not often, though.)

Don't know if any of this helps, as I don't know what you're struggling with, or how you might be shooting yourself in the foot (triggering cravings) with your choices. Have you tried a Whole30 to break the cycle of food addiction, and help you develop a more healthy attitude towards the foods you eat? Works for some people.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    keemra wrote: »
    I feel so much better on Paleo. My joint pain is gone, my skin is better, my nails are no longer brittle and cracked. I have more energy. I love how this is making me feel. My husband doesn't do Paleo. He feels fine on his high carb diet. I bake bread for him and buy his favorite junk snacks for him, but am not even tempted to join him because I don't want to go back to feeling like I did when I ate like he eats.

Amen to that. I'm not tempted by many foods, because I love feeling good.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've been Paleo for close to 60 days now. At work, I've had about three co workers interested in Paleo and I've helped them to start. Well, each one probably lasted around a week on average and now back on an unhealthy track.

I've helped them to get back, I gave them advice and supported them. But no luck. Now they seem to rub it in my face

Tips?

That is hard. I suspect they may feel guilty and maybe a little envious of your determination, and therefore have this exaggerated kind of response when they're around you. That way instead of feeling embarrassed, they can feel "naughty," which is less uncomfortable. You could test this out by just smiling, shrugging, and saying, "Everybody's gotta do what works for them!" If you don't react much, they won't have a "strict person" against whom they're "rebelling," and it'll likely die off.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    AbbeyDove wrote: »

I've helped them to get back, I gave them advice and supported them. But no luck. Now they seem to rub it in my face

Tips?

That is hard. I suspect they may feel guilty and maybe a little envious of your determination, and therefore have this exaggerated kind of response when they're around you. That way instead of feeling embarrassed, they can feel "naughty," which is less uncomfortable. You could test this out by just smiling, shrugging, and saying, "Everybody's gotta do what works for them!" If you don't react much, they won't have a "strict person" against whom they're "rebelling," and it'll likely die off.

This rings true. Also, they won't feel so bad about quitting if they can get you to quit, too. Misery loves company.

Hang in there.
  • MamaOfThree88
    MamaOfThree88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all. I eat Paleo not to lose weight, even though it is helping, but to control my autoimmune and thyroid disorders. It has helped greatly with my inflammation and my energy levels have skyrocketed.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    My co-worker just commented on how restrictive my diet is because I won't eat the granola she offered me. Meanwhile she is eating 500cals today because she is fasting. Go figure.
  • maril101
    maril101 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sad but true is the lesson I've learned about helping others with dietary and fitness choices. The ancient adage, "you can lead the horse to water, but you can't make him drink." It's wonderful to help people, I try all the time, but what I have to give up is any kind of attachment to the result of that help. People will or they won't. It's not a reflection on me, good, bad or indifferent. I've worked so hard to get to this point. I just have to keep on my path and move forward. I loved the posts above about reiterating the sense of the 80-20 approach. I love you guys!!
  • homesweeths
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks y'all. I eat Paleo not to lose weight, even though it is helping, but to control my autoimmune and thyroid disorders. It has helped greatly with my inflammation and my energy levels have skyrocketed.
    It is amazing how motivating pain can be...

(p.s. I had given up on "diets" and "losing weight" years ago, but found with AIP I "accidentally" lost weight at a steady rate. Taking off nearly 40 lbs in the first year did wonders for my knee pain.)
  • homesweeths
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    My co-worker just commented on how restrictive my diet is because I won't eat the granola she offered me. Meanwhile she is eating 500cals today because she is fasting. Go figure.

It amazes me, here on MFP, the vitriol that greets any paleo or primal post in the main forums. They're incensed that you might eliminate one or more categories of food. I don't see vegans getting jumped on the same way. Or are they, and I just haven't noticed?
  • DaliaMaria1173
    DaliaMaria1173 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you have reasons (symptoms, joint pain, gut pain, etc.) for avoiding grains at all times, there's your motivation. If you do it because it makes you feel better, makes it easier to lose weight and maintain, those are still good reasons, but you may be able to allow the occasional "cheat." For people who struggle to do it all or nothing (like your co-workers), there's always the option of 80/20 Paleo/Primal. If you can eat this way at least 80% of the time (or more) that's already infinitely better than eating the Standard American Diet.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    It amazes me, here on MFP, the vitriol that greets any paleo or primal post in the main forums. They're incensed that you might eliminate one or more categories of food. I don't see vegans getting jumped on the same way. Or are they, and I just haven't noticed?

Who decided to make cereal grains a whole food group anyway?
    It's basically just grass seed and yet it get's a whole group.
    I eat all kinds of seeds, and I still get plenty of carbohydrates from more nutrient dense plants.
    Yet apparently my diet isn't "balanced" because I don't eat poptarts.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »

Who decided to make cereal grains a whole food group anyway?
    It's basically just grass seed and yet it get's a whole group.
    I eat all kinds of seeds, and I still get plenty of carbohydrates from more nutrient dense plants.
    Yet apparently my diet isn't "balanced" because I don't eat poptarts.

Your life is not complete until you eat poptarts. (gag. I've eaten them in my wasted youth. So my life is complete! :) )
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    [quote=Yet apparently my diet isn't "balanced" because I don't eat poptarts.[/quote]

Yes, my hubby is a carbaholic (he is supportive though) and his family is a "bread family" that could never eat that gluten free stuff like I do (as we are feasting on a supper of bbq steak, green beans, salad, baked potato) and I just smile and nod and be thankful that his family lives far away and doesn't visit often.

My step sons are pouring cereal, milk or orange juice and making toast & jam within minutes of waking up.... It was fun once when I calculated the sugars, more than a chocolate bar and pop.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Oh, I remember my typical "healthy" breakfast... organic oatmeal, raw milk, turbinado sugar, maybe a sliced banana and/or berries or raisins, and a glass of orange juice. No wonder I was so sick. I had no idea that my body could not handle the carbs, healthy or otherwise.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    (I tried a bowl of oatmeal last winter, it smelled so good while I was cooking it for the family. Bleah. It did not taste at *all* like I remembered it. So many things seem to go that way -- they still smell good, but they don't taste the same.)
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    maril101 wrote: »
    Sad but true is the lesson I've learned about helping others with dietary and fitness choices. The ancient adage, "you can lead the horse to water, but you can't make him drink." It's wonderful to help people, I try all the time, but what I have to give up is any kind of attachment to the result of that help. People will or they won't. It's not a reflection on me, good, bad or indifferent. I've worked so hard to get to this point. I just have to keep on my path and move forward. I loved the posts above about reiterating the sense of the 80-20 approach. I love you guys!!

Yes - this is so true. I have lots of people asking me about how I lost weight, then they want to know more about Paleo, and I get them pointed in the right direction, and then for whatever reason they give up. (Most often because they just want an easy fix and don't do the research so they don't know the "why" or "what" of Paleo)

And don't even get me started on the main forums...lol
  • homesweeths
    Options
    You know, if there were an easy fix for overweight or health problems, there wouldn't be a bunch of overweight, ill people out there. *sigh*

It would be nice if we could eat all the sugary treats we wanted. Ice cream. Chocolate chip cookie dough (don't bother to bake it -- I love just the dough). Okay, they don't have to be sugary, even. Bread from the French bakery. Pizza. Lasagna. And let's not forget ice cream. Oh, wait, I said that already. (Suddenly I am reminded of the boys at that island in Pinocchio, you know, the ones who all turned into donkeys?)
  • MizTenaciousT
    MizTenaciousT Posts: 69 Member
    Options

How is it going for you so far? Have you been able to stick with it?