Weekly Post 28.06. - 04.07.15.

Options
flumi_f
flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
I'm in for high weigh in tomorrow and it's the 29th after my nephew's birthday celebration yesterday and the leftovers today...my sister meant well and cooked for an army. The 29th is my monthly weigh in...oh well.

My fasts will be on Monday and Friday this week as no other days are possible. Will go for a 16:8 on all days during the week as I'm invited to a retirement party on Tuesday and graduation on Thursday. Need to pace myself a bit. I know some of the extra weight is still water from the food and from the operation, but some of it is a real weight gain. I keep derailing myself. No one else's fault but mine.

This is the last week before school is out, thus lots of festivites. After that I will be alone at work for 2-3 weeks before my own vacation time starts. I may try to throw in 2 weeks of 4:3 just to get back on track.

I have however picked up a bit of exercise again. I walked 75-90min every day the last 4 days and increased my speed and incline. Today I even walked without my compression wrap and that felt good. Next weekend I shall get out my nordic walking poles to start with a little upper body strength while walking. Slowly getting myself ready to start real workouts around mid-end July.

Have a wonderful week everyone! In Switzerland summer has finally arrived and we are in for some sunny days over 30°C.

Replies

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    It's my fast day today!!!!! So excited to get back into it!!!!
    It's kind of a difficult day to fast. We lost a resident yesterday. I was with him while he passed away and it was very sad. So today I really want to comfort eat. But because I know that i want to eat because of an emotional reason, hopefully i will stop myself because i know the reason behind it. If that makes sense
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    It's kind of a difficult day to fast. We lost a resident yesterday. I was with him while he passed away and it was very sad. So today I really want to comfort eat. But because I know that i want to eat because of an emotional reason, hopefully i will stop myself because i know the reason behind it. If that makes sense

Sorry to hear that.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Sorry to hear that Karen, but you are handling the emotional side very well! Good for you!
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Options
    Hi guys, it's 6.30pm I'll be at work until 11pm. So far I'm doing ok. Although I did just cave and ate a funsize milky way bar... Nothing else up easy now until breakfast tomorrow as I'm up to 499 calories ... Thanks for your kind words about Ken. He was a tough old bloke lol. I'm gonna miss him.

Have a great day guys!!!
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Options
    7am!!! Hooray I made it through my fast!!!! I totally forgot all about the not being able to sleep thing. Whoops
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »

Sorry for your loss. Keep strong :)
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I was watching a show last night about salt and I was shocked then the presenter added extra salt for a week (I think it was a week) and in the first few day she gained over 3kg of water weight!!! Makes sense, but it is shocking how much water weighs. So how can you tell if its water weight or weigh weight?
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    snaps27 wrote: »
    I was watching a show last night about salt and I was shocked then the presenter added extra salt for a week (I think it was a week) and in the first few day she gained over 3kg of water weight!!! Makes sense, but it is shocking how much water weighs. So how can you tell if its water weight or weigh weight?

You can't really tell, cept abrupt scale gain overnight is usually water weight. Just know that there are a number of variables that can give added water weight: sodium, new/hard exercise, carbs (Not sure bout this but I think each glucose molecule brings along 4 grams of extra water retaining, hence carb bloat), stress, inflammation, TOM. In a perfect storm I can "gain" up to 3.5-4 kg, lol.

My advice is to ignore water weight fluctuations and track your trending average/week. Try use additional methods like measuring body and try on tight clothes as yardstick. Using only scales as a way to measure progress would drive me insane and depressed. Scales may lie. Skinny pants never lie :)

• flumi_f
    Options
    Well, I have two little NSVs to report this week....

Graduation was yesterday and I was the main speeker. My first speech of this kind. So different than teaching. Anyway, I wore my little polka dotted dress and felt very comfortable doing so. A bit nervous at the beginning of my speech, but that had nothing to do with the dress :D People seemed to really like my speech too. :) So a double whammy for me.

And this morning I grabed my walking poles and went nordic walking for 75min. I've been walking alot, but it's the first time I've added a bit of upper body. Thus this is the first 'real' workout since my surgery exactly one month ago. No pain or twinges and a good speed too. Yay! I may even go for a short swim next week. We're in a bit of a heat wave in Europe, thus a dip in the river would be very welcome.

Have a great Friday and an awesome weekend!
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    snaps27 wrote: »

You can't really tell, cept abrupt scale gain overnight is usually water weight. Just know that there are a number of variables that can give added water weight: sodium, new/hard exercise, carbs (Not sure bout this but I think each glucose molecule brings along 4 grams of extra water retaining, hence carb bloat), stress, inflammation, TOM. In a perfect storm I can "gain" up to 3.5-4 kg, lol.

My advice is to ignore water weight fluctuations and track your trending average/week. Try use additional methods like measuring body and try on tight clothes as yardstick. Using only scales as a way to measure progress would drive me insane and depressed. Scales may lie. Skinny pants never lie :)

I'm a big sponge too! If I retain water my upper abs get all puffy. All of what Foami listed does it to me. My sister says alcohol makes her retain water.

What helps get rid of my water is fasting, potassium rich foods (veggies / potatoes / bananas / etc) and drinking lots water while avoiding the grain carbs. I can gain and lose 1-2kg of water 'overnight' depending on what I ate. It doesn't freak me out, because I'm usually aware of the reason. The trend is important. The daily fluctuations just helped me get to know my body and how it reacts to certain things.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Ending one of my most successful fasts in a VERY long time!

Made adhoc gazpacho with bell pepper, tomatoes, cucumber, spring onion, a dash of lime juice, chili flakes and fresh basil. Raw veggies in the blender and done! Very yummy and filling. Had an egg on the side for protein.

Lots of berries planned for tomorrow's brekkie.

I love it, when I can buy all of this fresh goodness at the neighboring farmers!
  • cal0rina
    cal0rina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Great progress flumi, sounds like your recovery is going well :)
    I have nearly done my first fast for 2 months, hungry! Hopefully my bedtime porridge will tide me over till tomorrow o:)
  • flumi_f
    Options
    It's tomorrow, where I am. Hope it went well for you calorina!

Going for another walk. Got up at 615 on a Saturday to do so. It's gonna be a very hot day. B)
  • cal0rina
    cal0rina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Came in under 400! Too hot for soup, hope everyone has a good weekend and happy independence day to the yanks :)
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Calorina - my soup was cold. Excellent in the summer. Just mainly tomatoes and cucumbers plus whatever else you like that is good raw, some fresh herbs and spices and a blender. Quick, easy and delicious!

No loss after my fast, but TOM arrived. Feeling good though and had another nice nordic walking tour early this morning. The heat wave forced me to get out there early B) the

A bit of info for the ladies.
    There are recurring discussions to whether fasting is good for women and their hormones.

Here is my personal experience. Seems I'm becoming more regular again. Thus my conclusion is, my cycle was out of whack due to weightloss, not the fasting. It has been erratic to non existent for 18 mth, after losing about 25kg 9mth. I didn't really care as I'm too old to want to get pregnant.
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys, people who are doing this for a long time. I read yesterday ADF can only help you lose 11 lbs on average. I have lost around 10 so far starting January. Does that mean that's it I'm done with losing? Sorry this is not relevant to the topic, but didn't want start a new one. Please give me some insight! Thanks!
  • flumi_f
    Options
    The weekly post is a free for all. All topics are welcome.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    And to answer your question. ....28 kg in 1 yr with 5:2.... and i am not the only one. Don't listen to them and keep going. B)
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Options
    Just popping in to say hello and tell you all that you're awesome
  • flumi_f
    Options
    :*