Office lunches and snacks

Options
SkinnyKerinny
SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
I got the call this morning I scored the job I wanted. Yippee!! I'm only a week into the keto diet and so want to get everything ready when I start the job in two weeks.

What do those of you who in an office keep at your desk/fridge for snacks? Do you have any easy peesy lunches you rely on? Any other tips are greatly appreciated. : )

Replies

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the new job ! I eat 2 meals per day and I'm not usually hungry at all for lunch at work. But just in case, I keep macadamia nuts in my desk drawer. I also keep MCT oil and chunks of pre cut butter for the BPC I make fresh at work, keeps me going all day. I'm lucky to have a nice little kitchen at the end of the hall.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hard cheese chunks, sliced meat like roast beef or turkey to roll around spears of cuke or asparagus, bin of salad greens with cold chicken chunks in it and creamy Caesar dressing or flavoured olive oil and vinegars/lime juice.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    One of the things that helps me the most is batch cooking and I eat on those for multiple meals. Might not seem great for variety, but the items change up every few days so it's really not bad. It *is* great for convenience though!

Right now I'm eating off of a London broil, a chicken salad (with curried mayo, celery & green onion), and ground beef. Mixing and matching with salad green & other various veggies for sides. My go-to snacks are generally cheese, grape tomatoes, carrots, deli turkey rolled up, or some fruit.

Oh and congrats on your new job!
  • SkinnyKerinny
    Options
    Hi all, fabulous ideas! Thanks so much!!
  • JustMe2C
    JustMe2C Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the job!

Some of the things I take to work are hard boiled eggs, nuts, cheese sticks, nut butter and celery. Some easy lunches would be leftovers, tuna salad w/leaf lettuce, burger, seasoned ground beef with some lettuce and shredded cheese. We have a breakroom so I'm able to keep the fridge stocked about as well as I do at home. LOL
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It's likely you won't need to rely on snacking once you're fully fat adapted. Keep hydrated and stay productive, make your meals right-sized and you should be able to go 4-6 hours between meals.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I keep a can of mixed nuts and individual peanut butter packets at my desk. I also love Moon Cheese and Mr. Cheeseos, but I've been laying off the Cheeseos' because they are higher carbs, thanks to the quinoa. Also beef jerky.

http://www.mooncheesesnacks.com/

I bring sandwiches for lunch using low carb bread from the Great Low Carb Bread Co. Just 2 net carbs, so not too bad!
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I have a small pantry in my desk

For me it is a rookie mistake of I ever put myself in a position where I have no escape route as far as food goes.
  • SkinnyKerinny
    Options
    Again thanks A LOT to everyone who took the time to give me ideas. I feel a lot more prepared now. :D
  • _Virgo_
    _Virgo_ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I work in an office where drug rep lunches are 2-3 days a week. I've combated this by bringing my lunch everyday and I plan what I'm having the day before and log it into myfitnesdpal. This way I know my calories are already taken up and it lessens the temptation. Sometimes it's hard, I won't lie.. But lunch is only 50 minutes. I eat my salad and converse with my coworkers and get through it. By the end of lunch I'm proud of my accomplishment and enjoy my abundant energy while everyone else inevitably crashes from all the carbs. It's a constant victory on and off the scale. I keep dry roasted peanuts at my desk in case I get a bit peckish, but honestly don't eat more than a handful because I made sure my breakfast was filling. Lunch is just a salad snack to get me through to dinner.
  • SkinnyKerinny
    Options
    Great strategies, Virgo! Carb crashes are an awful feeling so that's awesome motivation to avoid going through that-- not to mention how unhealthy it is. Many thanks for sharing.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    _Virgo_ wrote: »
    I work in an office where drug rep lunches are 2-3 days a week. I've combated this by bringing my lunch everyday and I plan what I'm having the day before and log it into myfitnesdpal. This way I know my calories are already taken up and it lessens the temptation. Sometimes it's hard, I won't lie.. But lunch is only 50 minutes. I eat my salad and converse with my coworkers and get through it. By the end of lunch I'm proud of my accomplishment and enjoy my abundant energy while everyone else inevitably crashes from all the carbs. It's a constant victory on and off the scale. I keep dry roasted peanuts at my desk in case I get a bit peckish, but honestly don't eat more than a handful because I made sure my breakfast was filling. Lunch is just a salad snack to get me through to dinner.

What do you tend to choose for breakfast to keep you satisfied?

• luvmyleo
    luvmyleo Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this question myself. I think I have come up with a doable game plan. When I go back to work next month (I'm a teacher) I plan on mainly bringing leftovers for lunch. If for some reason I don't feel like left overs- or we don't have any- I will just take carb friendly goodies- genoa salami& provolone roll ups, deviled eggs, olives, salads, raw veggies w/ french onion dip. I don't bring nuts to school for fear of any unknown allergies- they tend to be pretty common- my own middle child is allergic to all tree nuts.
  • luvmyleo
    luvmyleo Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My challenge will be making sure that I keep these carb friendly goodies stocked in the kitchen!
  • SkinnyKerinny
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan luvmyleo!
  • _Virgo_
    _Virgo_ Posts: 24 Member
    Options

If I am not still full from the night before (Dinner tends to be where I fit most of my calories) then I usually make myself a 1 egg Omelett with Green Peppers, Onions, and Cheese. I will have two of slices of thick cut bacon. Between the protein and fat I am full until lunch. =)

• SkinnyKerinny
    Options
    Sounds great Virgo! TY
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have a special rocket fuel latte for breakfast and don't feel like snacking because I'm sipping my fatty coffee all morning.
    For lunch, I tend to have stuff I prepared the night before (my work does have a microwave), or a combo of deli meats and cheeses.
    I discovered a couple prepackaged salumi and cheese "to go" packs that I can grab and go when I am feeling super lazy. That really helped me.
    This is the brand I picked up at Trader Joe's: http://www.citteriousa.com/products-pronti.html
    I can't find a link to the one I picked up from Sprouts, but it was awesome because it had sopressata, provolone, and olives. Mmm...nice treat.
    Have to be careful with the prepared meats, though, because they often have additives and are usually very salty.

-T.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    _Virgo_ wrote: »

If I am not still full from the night before (Dinner tends to be where I fit most of my calories) then I usually make myself a 1 egg Omelett with Green Peppers, Onions, and Cheese. I will have two of slices of thick cut bacon. Between the protein and fat I am full until lunch. =)

ooh that does sound good.

• SkinnyKerinny
    Options
    Big mistake on my lunch plans. I stocked up on Trader Joe's canned smoked herring. It's really really yummy but it STINKS!!!
    I didnt think it would be a good I deal to eat at my desk but I'm not even safe eating out in the lunch room because people walk in and say OMG who cooked fish? Im making hard boiled eggs right now and will be looking for other things to eat when I go shopping this weekend. I already have 3 nice bell peppers so those are definitely coming along in the early part of next week.

Thankfully I don't think they realize it was me who brought the fish!